I'm a dumbass.

Some of the shorter travel forks have spacers that can be removed to increase the travel. Does the revelation have them as well or can it only be shortened?

it (was) at the maximum travel limit at 150mm. Doesn't matter now, it's sold and I'm not going to be that guy that says "sorry bud, made a mistake you can't have the fork now"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is your solution, assuming you can get your hands on one and don't mind running a 35mm stem. (spank spike stem 2011)

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2009/05/13/1242210432463-1elph04xbzc8l-670-75.jpg

The price is around R650ish

This is your solution, assuming you can get your hands on one and don't mind running a 35mm stem. (spank spike stem 2011)

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2009/05/13/1242210432463-1elph04xbzc8l-670-75.jpg

The price is around R650ish

My existing stem is a 35mm jobbie. Plus I don't really wanna pay for another stem when the existing one is doing a good job, and the problem may be rectified by other means...

The chaps at cycles direct have an engineering shop that will press in a new steerer....chat to Mike about this.

That may be an option... Will def look at it!

Waiting on prices from other avenues at the moment...

I bought a RS Sektor off a mate recently that was too short. Had it lengthened by Link Engineering in Woodstock.

Think they charged about R320. They turned a solid piece of ali down to the same OD as the steerer, turned a step/shoulder into the bottom that slid into the steerer and then welded the joint and ground it down after. They drilled a smallish hole down the middle for the stemcap bolt. Only trick is to make sure you leave the starnut in as you can't fit it after the job's been done.

As is, the steerer is probably stronger than a standard one.

Captain, This is what I did. Used another steerer stem and tig welded after turning a double "shoulder" on the butt (if this makes sense?) I put a pic of the completed job on the Hub somewhere. Has not bust yet........?

Haha... yeah. Hilarious, ain't it! :blush:

soz buddy, but since everyone giving solid advice, i'm gonna chip in with the obvious :P

Captain, This is what I did. Used another steerer stem and tig welded after turning a double "shoulder" on the butt (if this makes sense?) I put a pic of the completed job on the Hub somewhere. Has not bust yet........?

Sweet. I'm waiting on pricing for the other forks. Will hear tomorrow, and see what the options are.

Okay - solution found.

The pricing on the forks were a bit steep:

X Fusion Vengeance (air) R 7,300

X Fusion Vengeance (coil) R 7,000

Suntour Durolux (air) R 5,000

I managed to get hold of an old stock new Lyrik 2 step, on which the guys at RS are going to do a swapperoo and change out the 2-step cartridge (which is a dog by many peoples' reckoning) with a brand new RC2DH cartridge for just R 800 more than what I'd have paid for the short-steerer Lyrik.

Given that it's a brand new fork (will carry the 3 year factory warranty) and it's the fork I wanted, it's not a bad end to the story.

To have re-steerered the Lyrik would have cost about R 500, so I would have saved R 300 but had a 2nd hand fork which has had its steerer replaced.

In the end, I think this has been a valuable lesson to not only me (I'm still a dumbass) but to others out there.

I've learnt that you better bloody well measure that frikkin steerer, and ASK what length it is before selling the fork you have on there to begin with

I've learnt that you can lengthen a steerer by welding an extension on to it

I've learnt that you can replace the steerer on a fork by getting an engineering shop to press-fit a replacement into the crown,

I've learnt that I'm a dumbass...

SO. Collecting the fork on Friday, ready for the weekend...