Learning to service your bike

TopFuel

Guest Latent Blue

I actually plan on starting as soon as I have a house again...

Got that maintenence and repair book from bicycling magazine.... Any used that?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bled my brakes - don't know what all the fuss is about. Sure, it takes time to do properly, but it's PISS easy.

DIY bleed kit for shimano brakes is a couple of containers and some tubes, basic items that cost hardly anything. Paitence and taking your time is the biggest thing with bleeding brakes. It is a job not to be rushed and is easy to do!

Why don't you contact me - perhaps we can make a plan

I see you in Centurion! PM me your shop info and I can swing by one day :-)

that guy is da bomb

So much info, just a pity the site was designed in 19dot, really needs a decent index and update. Seems one day we will just get a 404 error and it will all be gone.

Guest Latent Blue

So much info, just a pity the site was designed in 19dot, really needs a decent index and update. Seems one day we will just get a 404 error and it will all be gone.

true

Guest Latent Blue

Someone should take all that info and organise it nicely here in a section on the hub... oh but then itll be lost on the next crash...

Servicing and working on your own bike is frustratingly therapeutic! I am limited due to lack of space and tools. I dream of a work station with a mini fridge and docking station to spend hours.

Bought a bike stand today, got some tools and "google " is my friend......going to give this "self service" thing a whirl .

The motivation was my LBS ripping me off . If times are tough look after your customers don't exploit them. And if it goes wrong ill find another LBS. one that won't leave the cranks loose.......when replacing a BB.

Brake bleeding is EASY as long as you have the correct oil. Bleeding avids etc, buy dot fluid from your petrol station, bleeding shimanos then you need to buy mineral oil from your lbs. As for bleed kits for avid etc, go on ebay and just get the connectors, then get two syringes and two lengths of tube, Bobs your uncle! No need for those orange clip things.

There is a tutorial on youtube from Sram showing how to bleed their brakes and it is dead easy, first time takes a little while to learn the process but there on it is a quick job!

Shimanos, there are many tutorials on youtube and these are the easiest brakes to bleed, completely idiot proof.

Edited by SamL1220

the added benefit is that after a muddy, dirty and wet race u can go home take off all the bits and do a proper clean on the bike - every time u do - u learn and it becomes

easier DIY is the way - rather spend money on tools

• 3 months later...

What's a good place to look for the DIY bleed connectors that go onto the syringe end (M5/M6/M?)

Checked out Midas, Naskar yesterday and was **** out of luck.

Will try Builder's Warehouse next.

What's a good place to look for the DIY bleed connectors that go onto the syringe end (M5/M6/M?)

Checked out Midas, Naskar yesterday and was **** out of luck.

Will try Builder's Warehouse next.

Stodels. They're normally the same size as an irrigation connector