upgrading to 29er?

MischaB

Yip - I've experienced it on my medium EMD. The top cup of my headset is fairly wide though so that makes things worse. Neg 25deg stem solved the problem.

Have wanted to ask you, how long is your stem? Thinking of going 10-20mm shorter. Currently 100m but feel too stretched out.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You saw the carbon air 9 in the classifieds? As ek maar net geld gehad het :unsure:

No... I haven't... medium?

Have wanted to ask you, how long is your stem? Thinking of going 10-20mm shorter. Currently 100m but feel too stretched out.

It's 90mm. Heavy angle though so the distance from the steerer to the bar is shorter, probably closer to 70/80mm.

Run a 70mm 6deg on the PYGA.

90mm on the SS - I generally like a longer stem on the SS for some 'room to move' when standing, grinding the pedals.

It's 90mm. Heavy angle though so the distance from the steerer to the bar is shorter, probably closer to 70/80mm.

Run a 70mm 6deg on the PYGA.

90mm on the SS - I generally like a longer stem on the SS for some 'room to move' when standing, grinding the pedals.

Thanks, think I should give 90mm a bash.

My GF is shorter than you, just swapped to 29er a few months ago and she is super happy and hasn't had any of the problems that people suggested she would have.

Other than the stand over height being a bit high, she's very happy. And TBH it feels like her climbing has improved, and her technical ability too.

ok so I have a question that may or may not have been asked before (and I am not going to search just because it is Friday :ph34r: )

why do "they" say that short people struggle on 29ers? is the geo to cramped due to the bigger wheels whilst still allowing the rider to reach the bars? Back in the old days 29ers had issues with turning. That has long since been resolved with the off-set forks etc. Perhaps the issue for shorter riders was, in them old days, that the 29ers struggled to turn, and that plus a short legged resulted in the issue. Perhaps the whole 29er-is-not-for-short-people thing has long since been resolved? rumors will always go on, like when people tell me 29ers cant take a turn, and I end up laughing in their faces at the next race about that statement.

Like the others said. They try and get the bottom bracket height the same as 26ers for handling. Now if you add the height of the wheel and the fork the front end is sitting much higher relative to the bottom bracket and therefore the seat. This is exaggerated for small frames and it's difficult to get your bars down low if you roll like that.

My GF is shorter than you, just swapped to 29er a few months ago and she is super happy and hasn't had any of the problems that people suggested she would have.

Other than the stand over height being a bit high, she's very happy. And TBH it feels like her climbing has improved, and her technical ability too.

That's good to know. What is she riding?

What did she buy and was her 26'er a decent speced bike before she got the new one?

Good Q, lots of short people in our group changed from 26" to 29" and their handling actually improved on the twisty single track sections. Not saying the bigger wheel is better but thats just what I noticed.

Well maybe simply having a smoother ride automatically improves "handling". I can't comment on 26" -> 29" , but i can say going from 26" hardtail to 26" dual-suspension had such an effect on me. You ride over technical sections "softer" which in turns has a bit of a confidence booster and you end up riding the sections with more commitment. So if going from 26" to 29" have a similar effect as then i can see how people's handling will mysteriously improve ;-)

Just do it, cons the 26er die hard's gonna tell u it's a marketing thing, the huge tractors wheels etc.... Scott good but work u way up to a real machine Lynskey! Once u got titanium there's now coming back.

Really? I think there should be a by-law prohibiting people like you from owning anything Ti. It's bad for the element's rep.

Really? I think there should be a by-law prohibiting people like you from owning anything Ti. It's bad for the element's rep.

Think you missed his hidden message...must be difficult wit mob justice and all that.

Just do it, cons the 26er die hard's gonna tell u it's a marketing thing, the huge tractors wheels etc.... Scott good but work u way up to a real machine Lynskey! Once u got titanium there's now coming back.

I ride a 29er but i would think a 27.5 would be better for you and Scott make good ones, or het a Chinese carbon frame for velly cheap