RANT - Do we get 2nd world service from local agents????

Da2lip

So the story starts out like this, I have a set of top end brakes that need to be sorted out (no brand named) as they have developed a leak on the left lever. So I send in my XTR brakes to the agents to have the issue fixed. I get told that they will not warranty the brakes as they are not sure if they brought them in. So I say that’s no hassle can you please just fix the lever as I never actually asked for a warranty in the first place. The answer I got back through my LBS was NO, they have told us to inform you to buy a full new set or XTR. They will not even sell me a lever or even a left brake set. I mean WTF, how can SH*TMANO say something like this (no backup what so ever). I was more than willing to pay for repairs and not expecting a hand out.

MY LBS then said why not look at certain online store since the agents here can’t help you. Guess what, part found and place the order. The part arrived today, that’s 2 days after placing the order. That’s service (Shimano take note on how to treat customers!!!!!)

So MR SHIMANO please tell me how I can import the part that you refused to fix (an entire left lever for +- 1.2k with over night delivery) and your say you can’t help or even replace the lever at a cost to me??

You know LBS and agents wonder why people look online to bring things in and bypass the local agents and LBS. With service like this one has to feel sorry for the LBS as they can’t do anything but watch you spend your money elsewhere.

I for one will never buy another shimano product from the local agents again. I would actually get rid of the XTR brakes (got SRAM on everything else and works like a charm) if for the fact that I really love the stopping power of the XTR setup.

So any other people out there feel like we are being treated like third rate citizens by the agents who we actually keep in business??

Ok Rant over and with any luck my XTR brakes will be back on this weekend…

Edited by jhag6969

I had the opposite. My XT lever jammed and would not release. Took it to my local LBS, and asked them to sort it out. I didn't buy the bike from them. They sent it away, and a week ltr, Shimano sent me a brand new lever...!!

better??

lol..nicely done

I recall a thread on here a while back about the exact same thing...they were suggested to find a second hand set and use those I think

So the story starts out like this, I have a set of top end brakes that need to be sorted out (no brand named) as they have developed a leak on the left lever. So I send in my XTR brakes to the agents to have the issue fixed. I get told that they will not warranty the brakes as they are not sure if they brought them in. So I say that’s no hassle can you please just fix the lever as I never actually asked for a warranty in the first place. The answer I got back through my LBS was NO, they have told us to inform you to buy a full new set or XTR. They will not even sell me a lever or even a left brake set. I mean WTF, how can SH*TMANO say something like this (no backup what so ever). I was more than willing to pay for repairs and not expecting a hand out.

MY LBS then said why not look at certain online store since the agents here can’t help you. Guess what, part found and place the order. The part arrived today, that’s 2 days after placing the order. That’s service (Shimano take note on how to treat customers!!!!!)

So MR SHIMANO please tell me how I can import the part that you refused to fix (an entire left lever for +- 1.2k with over night delivery) and your say you can’t help or even replace the lever at a cost to me??

You know LBS and agents wonder why people look online to bring things in and bypass the local agents and LBS. With service like this one has to feel sorry for the LBS as they can’t do anything but watch you spend your money elsewhere.

I for one will never buy another shimano product from the local agents again. I would actually get rid of the XTR brakes (got SRAM on everything else and works like a charm) if for the fact that I really love the stopping power of the XTR setup.

So any other people out there feel like we are being treated like third rate citizens by the agents who we actually keep in business??

Ok Rant over and with any luck my XTR brakes will be back on this weekend…

I have long since stopped supporting the local Shimano crowd who think they have the lone mandate to arrange and organise our lives. I vote with my computer buttons and bank card and import from www.chainreactioncycles.com. In an EXTREME emergency I will use locals .....albeit grudgingly.

Edited by Big H*

I had great backup from Coolheat. Not that it should matter but did you buy the locally. My levers werent bought locally.

levers came off a sponsored bike (so yes tehre were local), but thats not the point. Why should i buy a full new set of brakes, I'm asking for these to be fixed at my cost.

Edited by jhag6969

if they refuse to fix grey products, then they are losing money on both sides of the coin...the BEST they could have done is take SOME of your money...

levers came off a sponsored bike (so yes tehre were local), but thats not the point. Why should i buy a full new set of brakes, I'm asking for these to be fixed at my cost.

I understand what you are syaing. It is rather sad that certain markets refuse to help a customer by supporting a repair even if they can. They will instead always try and sell you somthing new which is rather pathetic

100% Eddie, and as I said I got the new lever from chain reaction and delivered in 2 working days. That’s what I call service

I really actually feel sorry for the LBS owners, they are stuck between trying to keep customers happy, and having to put up with the hyenas that are the local agents and distributers. What really grates me is how on earth is it possible that I can import individual items from chain reaction cycles, or similar online stores, at cheaper prices then the agents can supply it locally when they are importing bulk?

It makes it impossible for the LBS to make a decent profit mark up on products, when the agent sells it to them more expensive than CRC, but if the LBS was to start importing their spares and so on through the likes of CRC, then the agents won sell bikes and other items to them. The industry is sick in SA, needs a good cleaning.

A good friend of mine once said that he could not understand the business model of the local distributors who would rather do small volumes / high mark ups vs large volumes / lower mark ups.

Surely if the products were available at great pricing the local market would buy more readily and be more prone to "upgrading" vs holding onto something till it is beyond it's sell by date or buying second hand or CRC?

Speaking to a local mechanic, it seems that with one particular (major) distributor, retail prices from CWC are lower than the agent's wholesale prices on most items. Add faster delivery times and better backup and I'm fresh out of reasons to use the official agents.

post-4362-0-82976900-1373635125_thumb.jpeg

I agree with all the above, although in defence of some of the agents, CRC's buying power is several orders of magnitude bigger than probably all local agents put together.