FOX Axles

JackOfSpades

Are lowers generally pricey to replace?

Much cheaper than buying a new fork, you just have to be sure the fork you are spending on is worth the effort.

When combined with the cost of new hub and wheel build, you should maybe look at DT's RWS skewer?? Chances are that it will be compatible with the XT hub but there are so many variables, you would need to do your homework fes!

You don't need a new fork, you can just change the lowers. You will need to rebuild or replace the wheel though.

I think if u look at my original post, I said that too. ;)

Would a thru axle be more 'noticeable' in the front than the back? I now have a thru axle in the back of my bike but still the same QR fork but must say I have not noticed anything .... May also just not be as 'in tune' with my bike as most seem to be :ph34r:

Would a thru axle be more 'noticeable' in the front than the back? I now have a thru axle in the back of my bike but still the same QR fork but must say I have not noticed anything .... May also just not be as 'in tune' with my bike as most seem to be :ph34r:

Depends on the type of riding you do, really. Jeeptrack and district roads, no you won't notice a difference. Single track, drop offs and jumps, railing berms like a mofo, hell yeah.

The increase in rigidity would be far more noticable on the front - your rear is pretty rigid because of chainstay rearstay triangle

My Rear hope hub was easily adapted from a Q release to a 15mm .I have a bike with 15mm front and rear and a bikewith Quick release front and rear .The difference is not worth buyig a new fork

Rear is a 12mm. Not 15mm

The increase in rigidity would be far more noticable on the front - your rear is pretty rigid because of chainstay rearstay triangle

Santa Cruz and Giant stood by this sentiment for many years until one day the penny seemed to drop and a rear thru axle became norm.

On the Reigns prior to 2013, I would feel like the back was passing the front in a corner, so much flex.. granted, I could only really feel it once I started pushing the limits, first it was mine but soon it became the bikes. It feels like a flat tyre in a corner.

Also, when I switched to the 20mm up front it made for a whole new ride, less being pushed around in ruts and rock gardens.

I dig the Sukuma with the front and rear locked up tight, loving it!

I think if u look at my original post, I said that too. ;)

I did notice, but figured I'd add my R 0.02 since there were many cries of "replace the fork" from others. A lone voice can easily be lost in a crowd.

But yes, I should possibly have done the quote thing too... :oops:

Are lowers generally pricey to replace?

Not sure about Fox but last time I ordered black Rock Shox lowers for a client it was around R1 800 if memory serves me correctly.

I havent ridden it back to back vs 15 or 20mm but I believe those that say its very close.

I find it a lot stiffer than before and may help the OP in his quest and at a lower price point.

I havent ridden it back to back vs 15 or 20mm but I believe those that say its very close.

I find it a lot stiffer than before and may help the OP in his quest and at a lower price point.

I've heard the same about RWS. The 9mm size for front is in between the stock 5mm QR and the 15mm system. A quick google search also offers the OP hope that the XTR hubs are/could be compatible.

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/converting-shimano-08-xt-xtr-hubs-thru-bolt-489178.html