Who needs a Dropper Post?

nickc

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In what world are you living?

In the real world, where the majority of people don't read emails.

Seriously. It's a problem I deal with every day. First I mail, then I follow up with a phone call. I'd say about 20% of my clients actually read mails and respond to them.

Erm, it's called a telephone. You know, it has 12, sometimes 14 buttons on it, and you speak to other people who have telephones when you want to find something out.

Generally works better than email.

post-1575-0-06721000-1374737946_thumb.jpeg

Are there any XC bike riders using dropper posts?

It seems to be mainly the domain of longer travel trail bikes and beyond, and on higher end LT trail and AM bikes it's pretty much standard issue. I think that having one on my DS XC bike would also make a huge difference. I like to take on some of the more technical trails.

My bro in Law just put one on his 29er Merida dual sus, after months of me raving about how cool they are. He loves it, and now knows what all the fuss is about.

Oh, and he is going to be converting from lycra to baggies.. :clap:

I am looking to buy a dropper post for my wife. She struggles to get going on inclines if she stops because of the seat height/29er wheels. She is quite tall at 1.75m so the seat is quite high.

Anybody know if this is a viable solution and what are the costs involved?

Go with a KS or Reverb. They do the job and last more than long enough. As far as the solution goes it's a great idea. I have a high-ish saddle height and on uneven terrain battle sometimes to mount my ride. Dropping the dropper helps a heck of a lot to get going again.

But let me warn you: once she gets used to lowering her saddle on technical terrain she will be spoiled for life leaving you with no other option than to buy one for yourself as well.

In the real world, where the majority of people don't read emails.

Seriously. It's a problem I deal with every day. First I mail, then I follow up with a phone call. I'd say about 20% of my clients actually read mails and respond to them.

True story.

I was told by a member of our management team that emails weren't a reliable form of communication...... and that I should rather make a phone call or go and see the individual in person.

We unfortunately have a culture similar to that of a game farm. Everybody wants to pass the buck..... Email is used to CYA.

Even if you flag the message to alert you as soon as it is delivered or read, the recipient has the option of not sending the report...

Oh how I long for the old days of telephones, snail mail and a gentleman's handshake.....

True story.

I was told by a member of our management team that emails weren't a reliable form of communication...... and that I should rather make a phone call or go and see the individual in person.

We unfortunately have a culture similar to that of a game farm. Everybody wants to pass the buck..... Email is used to CYA.

Even if you flag the message to alert you as soon as it is delivered or read, the recipient has the option of not sending the report...

Oh how I long for the old days of telephones, snail mail and a gentleman's handshake.....

Emails are a great way still to distribute information ... just some plonkers can't use it efficiently.

I have had many situations with work where a conversation was had and then I would follow up with an email confirming or instructing the contractor or client based on the conversation ... then the person says a few weeks later that the conversation never happened and the email always wins the debate for me.

Then again I have worked with two contractors (old school Afrikaans gentlemen) who I could shake hands with after a meeting and the next time I inspect the works it would be done ... they are also of the type that come back after a project and say that they have cash left over as they never used x amount of material they thought they would and they in turn refund the clients.

To human beings like this I applaud you,.

Emails are a great way still to distribute information ... just some plonkers can't use it efficiently.

I have had many situations with work where a conversation was had and then I would follow up with an email confirming or instructing the contractor or client based on the conversation ... then the person says a few weeks later that the conversation never happened and the email always wins the debate for me.

Then again I have worked with two contractors (old school Afrikaans gentlemen) who I could shake hands with after a meeting and the next time I inspect the works it would be done ... they are also of the type that come back after a project and say that they have cash left over as they never used x amount of material they thought they would and they in turn refund the clients.

To human beings like this I applaud you,.

Old world. Wish it were still like that, where honor was a large part of who you were as a person.

They sold out about 5 months back.

Sorry my bad.

Was browsing their site while reading this thread. Didn't check availability.

Go with a KS or Reverb. They do the job and last more than long enough. As far as the solution goes it's a great idea. I have a high-ish saddle height and on uneven terrain battle sometimes to mount my ride. Dropping the dropper helps a heck of a lot to get going again.

But let me warn you: once she gets used to lowering her saddle on technical terrain she will be spoiled for life leaving you with no other option than to buy one for yourself as well.

You don't maybe have one lying around that you're looking to sell???

On a serious note wheres the best place to start looking. Only see the super pricey ones on CWC and nowhere else. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, always a possibility....

Try carbon29er for a price on the Reverb, I got mine form him. Excellent piece of equipment, that hydraulic mechanism works a treat.

I heard Brian Lopes won one of the first XCE races last year with one.

Stumbled upon this pic taken of him and his bike post race

http://stwww.bikemag.com/files/2012/04/LOPES-GALL-09.jpg

"In addition to his superior bike-handling skills, Lopes also brought another part of mountain-bike culture to the XC Eliminators--he was the only athlete using a dropper post. This one is the brand-new, three-inch-travel KS Lev post, which will be introduced to the public this week at the Sea Otter Classic in Monterey, California."

Edited by The Crow