First look: Ohlins TTX Rear Shock

Capricorn

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb9840833/p5pb9840833.jpg

The Öhlins TTX Shock

• Specifically designed for the Specialized Demo and Enduro Evo

• Twin-tube design

• Nitrogen-filled bladders to reduce cavitation

7 click rebound, 16 click low-speed compression and 3 click high-speed compression adjustment

• Springs in precise 24lb increments

• Available on 2014 bikes and framesets and aftermarket for existing Demo owners

The resulting shock is something rather special. Motocross riders may have already noticed that the Öhlins MTB shock shares its name with their current motocross damper, which is no coincidence. In terms of mountain bike suspension, comparing it to the Cane Creek Double Barrel is a good place to start to understand what they have created. First, there is the benefit of those seven years of progression by Öhlins and second, the new MTB shock is specifically designed for one bike. It could be argued that, because the Double Barrel was designed to work well with a wide range of bikes, it may not the ‘perfect’ shock for any one of them. All top mountain bike makers work closely with suspension manufacturers to develop custom-tuned shocks and forks, but it is rare for them to have the opportunity to co-develop a shock from the ground up for a specific bike.

At the heart of the new Öhlins MTB shock is a high-volume, twin-tube design, which, since the launch of the Double Barrel, is now a much more frequently-seen design in mountain biking. The twin tube itself is in the main shaft of the shock which creates two routes for the oil to flow through: either through the damper in the center, or freely along the sides. Adjustment then comes by altering how much oil flows through the damper and how much oil flows freely around the bypass tube. For the TTX, Öhlins slightly changed the standard piggyback layout we are used to seeing, turning it through 90 degrees and using shorter, fatter chambers to increase its external surface area to help cool the oil inside more efficiently. Inside the piggyback are two nitrile bladders filled with nitrogen, one for the rebound and one for the compression damping. Pressurizing both sides of the damping circuit helps the shock deal with one of the main issues that Öhlins wanted to tackle: cavitation.

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb9840839/p5pb9840839.jpg

Öhlins places more emphasis on getting the correct spring weight than current mountain bike shock makers. Generally, springs are sold in 50-pound increments and it is accepted that there is a small margin of error for each spring. For the TTX, Öhlins offers springs in precise increments of 24 pounds, and those springs are made by the Öhlins factory. The many spring options Öhlins intends to offer, however, means that it will not be economically feasible for them to offer titanium springs for the TTX.

One area where they have taken a different approach to any other shock currently on the market is in the mounting. The TTX uses a spherical bearing mount, so the shock isn't a structural component of the frame. This means that the shock can move freely within the frame a small amount, so under hard cornering, for example, the lateral forces aren't transferred to the shock because they would restrict its movement.

Unlike the almost infinitely adjustable Double Barrel shock, Öhlins and Specialized made the decision to restrict the range of adjustment available to the new shock. This was possible because the damper design is so specific to the Demo and the Enduro Evo. As Specialized's director of high-end mountain bikes Brandon Sloan sets out, "We wanted to keep the adjustment range really simple. You can only adjust what you need to adjust. On our other bikes there are a lot of adjustments that we just don't need within the usable range of the bike." The new shock has a single low-speed-rebound adjuster with seven positions. For the compression damping, there are separate high and low-speed adjustments. The low-speed dial has 16 positions; the high-speed dial has only three positions.

PB article

Edited by Capricorn

I love it!!! Ohlins make some of the best motorbike suspension on the market, and I dont think that this will be any different. Now if only they made them for other bikes too...

I love it!!! Ohlins make some of the best motorbike suspension on the market, and I dont think that this will be any different. Now if only they made them for other bikes too...

It's called the Cane Creek Double Barrel... that's the Ohlins for other bikes. Made by them. For Cane Creek.

The Cane Creek partnered with Ohlins when developing the Double Barrel shock so you have options.

http://www.wightmountain.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/cane-creak-shock.jpg

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2013/02/11/1360604555994-eeosehmh9c4l-280-75.jpg

Damn you and your quick finger Mayhem!!!

I would say something here, but it's guaranteed to get me a warning...

oh fuggit...

That's not what your mom screamed...

(mayhem does a cookiemonster for real.... coooookies!)

Those look good - I hate to think what they cost - knowing what the 4 way adjustable cost for cars....

MODERATORS!!!!!!

http://themavesite.com/TMS-Pictures/COLLECTIONS/MotivationalPosters/Moderators.jpg

perfectly on topic.

The thread is about a shock after all

What I would give to have Spez's development budget to play with... developing a damper specifically for a particular frame must make life so much easier.

on some of the other cycling forums out there, much hoohaa about the reduced adjustability per adjust option. How do y'all feel? My perspective is that since this is a near-custom job for specialized bikes, it makes sense. But on the other hand, its hard to fathom how, in the limited testing they'v done with limited riders, they've figured out that say 7 clicks of rebound and just 3 clicks of HSC is sufficient for everyone, even on a demo.

But sounding pretty yummy so far. I hope they make a push into the wider market. Some of the tech wizardry they've incorporated makes fantastic sense.

What I would give to have Spez's development budget to play with... developing a damper specifically for a particular frame must make life so much easier.

I doubt the budget is that big, otherwise they would've figured out in all of 7 months of off-season testing, that their star rider needs a longer top tube...

I doubt the budget is that big, otherwise they would've figured out in all of 7 months of off-season testing, that their star rider needs a longer top tube...

HAHAHAHA!!!

http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/health_tools/bandaging_from_head_to_toe_slideshow/getty_rm_photo_of_cold_water_on_burnt_hand.jpg

It's called the Cane Creek Double Barrel... that's the Ohlins for other bikes. Made by them. For Cane Creek.

Oh okay, thanks for the info!! I still think the Ohlins looks better though...:P

Guest Omega Man

on some of the other cycling forums out there, much hoohaa about the reduced adjustability per adjust option. How do y'all feel? My perspective is that since this is a near-custom job for specialized bikes, it makes sense. But on the other hand, its hard to fathom how, in the limited testing they'v done with limited riders, they've figured out that say 7 clicks of rebound and just 3 clicks of HSC is sufficient for everyone, even on a demo.

I made my Marzo 888's rebound infinitely adjustable by removing (losing) the little ball bearing and spring goodie at the top of the fork.

On the CCDB it's only the 2 high speed dials that are "infinitely" adjustable. The low speed ones still have clicks.

And you end up counting in quarter turns anyway so I think for 99% of riders benefit from clicks. It allows you to copy your mate who knows what he's doings setup. Cos let's face it. Most of us have no idea what the hell we are doing when it comes to suspension setup.