Lump in the throat stuff from Jensie....

SwissVan

We know it happens and we all have to face this at some stage of our lives, but that does not make it any easier does it?

And this is why I hope he kicks some arse today, one more time...

By Jens Voigt

Oh, what a day. What can I say? Okay I still have an eye for the situation, but my damn body just doesn’t listen to me anymore.

Today my friends, I must say, was a very frustrating day. After initiating the winning breakaway, I got dropped in the final kilometers.

What can I say? It was a very hard day. It is not often in my life that I felt so clearly that I am not the same rider that I once was. It’s really frustrating. It’s hard to take. But obviously I knew that this day would come one day or another.

We really had to work hard to make the break go away. At first there were just three of us. Then there were four. And finally a 14-rider group bridged up to us. Obviously this was a big day and a lot of riders wanted to be in that group. But somewhere in the middle of the stage I realized that I was not going to be the winner today.

And I would be lying if I said that this realization doesn’t hurt!

Okay, I am not a hopeless ****-kicker yet. I can still make the move, when a lot of guys couldn’t. But I am definitely not the same rider I was three years ago, five years ago or 10 years ago.

In the end I got dropped with David Millar. And we just looked at each other. No words were needed. We both knew that we’d aged.

And we didn’t really speak as we were riding in. We were just hurting too much.

It’s nice to know that I am still a player, that my RadioShack team still has confidence in me and lets me go into breaks. And I was happy to be able to help out Jan Bakelants, who was in the break with me and was having another great day.

But my friends, all these years of bike racing are taking their toll. I’m falling asleep on the team bus. And when I wake up in the morning, I feel like it is 6 o’clock, when in fact it is already 9 o’clock.

Now I don’t want to complain. But I have to face up to the facts.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/hardlyserious/2013/07/13/i%E2%80%99m-not-getting-any-younger/?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-Bicycling-_-Content-Blog-_-jens-14

Love this comment underneath the blog:

Was great to see you make the break happen. I would rather watch you race in your 40′s than almost any other “kid” in the peloton. As I got older my hearing lost a tick, maybe you just need to be a little louder when you to tell your legs to “shut up”. Keep dishing out the pain Jens!!

•  

Hard man admitting he is broken. I think he will retire from racing at end of season. They need to employ him as the slave driver. Imagine him sitting in team car shouting at them out of window during training.

What a man.. Not many like him

You look like you are getting ready to fall over in your avatar. Lucky your foot is unclipped.

What has always made Jens so easy to like is just how genuine he comes across in all of his interaction with EVERYONE!! It's so hard not to like the guy and wish every success on him!

C'mon Jens! One last stage win for the old toppies of the tour ekse!

Jens has been my hero for many years now and i hope he does one more tour.....shut up legs and ride :thumbup:

You look like you are getting ready to fall over in your avatar. Lucky your foot is unclipped.

It's quite something if I manage to stay upright

• 1 month later...

He is one of my favorite cyclists of all time! Does not matter what ant French lab will claim down the line

Jens is a legend and an icon. Been an awesome guy to watch... BUT, he has been a pro for something like 18 years...

He has been peddling away through cyclings darkest days!! Personally, for the sake of the sport, i prefer to see the old guard move on.... I also like Stuart O'Grady..... and as these older guys retire, they all seem compeled to confess.. and right now its 10 out of 10 of them!!!! Jens??

My flame suit is on.....

Jens is a legend and an icon. Been an awesome guy to watch... BUT, he has been a pro for something like 18 years...

He has been peddling away through cyclings darkest days!! Personally, for the sake of the sport, i prefer to see the old guard move on.... I also like Stuart O'Grady..... and as these older guys retire, they all seem compeled to confess.. and right now its 10 out of 10 of them!!!! Jens??

My flame suit is on.....

Personally I don't give 2 ****s whether he doped or not. The sport is so tainted anyway