Single speed - road bikes only

"Stevens"

Phase 2

Started cleaning off the grey spray and exposed, then removed some of the orange underneath. ...... I actually think the origional coat below this could be Blue.

Finish is currently distressed and recon I am going to keep it like this for a while.

Some snap shots of the bike slapped together to get a feel for the overall look.

Lot's to still do 20150314_161628.jpg 20150314_161640.jpg

#hipster #youneedabeardandskinnyjeans

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#hipster #youneedabeardandskinnyjeans

Hipster, never. I am However covering them back to humanity one hipster at a time.

Beard, check. ....recent addition to make the hipsters feel more comfortable when I approach them for conversion.

Skinny jeans, can't do that, but std jeans fit me tight on the legs of the waist fit's and if the legs are comfy the waist is huge. .....bring back gangster baggy pants I say

Phase 2

Started cleaning off the grey spray and exposed, then removed some of the orange underneath. ...... I actually think the origional coat below this could be Blue.

Finish is currently distressed and recon I am going to keep it like this for a while.

Some snap shots of the bike slapped together to get a feel for the overall look.

Lot's to still doattachicon.gif20150314_161628.jpgattachicon.gif20150314_161640.jpg

Eish but that's niiiice.....

This thread has got me itching...n+1, and I need a SS.

Questions:

• Why the flat bars? Is it an old-school thing or is there a practical reason for it?
  • Where would I even begin on a project like this? Sourcing a frame would be my guess. 
  • What frames are preferable? I like the look of a 'skinny' frame. Not too fussed on names as I would look for a custom paint job anyways.
  • Who is the go-to guy in Johannesburg to help with a custom SS build?

The best frames for building a SS or fixie are old track bikes. The horizontal dropouts allow you to tension the chain without resorting to any chain tensioners or pulleys. With road bikes it can be a hit or miss whether the chain tensions correctly.

post-44986-0-01150700-1426484288_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First ride in with some fine tuning to be done, but a rather nice and quick ride.

this frame is proving to be a little small for me, might have to sell and buy another or hopefully swap with someone :(

Questions:

• Why the flat bars? Is it an old-school thing or is there a practical reason for it?. Flat bars can be cut down in length, made very narrow which helps in traffic,

• Where would I even begin on a project like this? Sourcing a frame would be my guess.  start with frame, add bits as you go,

• What frames are preferable? I like the look of a 'skinny' frame. Not too fussed on names as I would look for a custom paint job anyways. best frame is one that will be ridden, that said best would be one with horizontal drop outs, ie old school road or track frames,

Questions:

• Why the flat bars? Is it an old-school thing or is there a practical reason for it?
  • Where would I even begin on a project like this? Sourcing a frame would be my guess. 
  • What frames are preferable? I like the look of a 'skinny' frame. Not too fussed on names as I would look for a custom paint job anyways.

Flat bars are generally to put in you in a more upright position, helpful when cruising through town by improving your ability to see what is happening around you.

Best option by far is any old steel bike that has the 'old school' horizontal dropouts. Chain tensioners suck, and are 9 times out of ten a necessity on modern frames with vertical dropouts. You'll find plenty affordable South African built frames from the '80s that are perfect.

Build it yourself, super simple and fun.

• 4 weeks later...