Single speed - road bikes only

"Stevens"

I did the 947 this past weekend with the single speed. 3h19 across the line.

The bike was in perfect shape, but every time I laid down power on a uphill, I heard like "ting ting" coming from the chain or back wheel. So for fear of snapping a chain, I didn't lay down the power on uphills.

The question is......

double chains..... I use two of everything next to each other. Chain rings, chain and rear sprocket. There is enough space for it.

Any thoughts on this?

Motorbike chain and sprocket. 

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never considered double chain setup, might be something to look into if you're built like the Hulk.

I have had a similar noise in the early stages of my setup, it was the chain just just staying on and then clinking' back into position. Changed the chainline by 3mm and tensioned it a bit more and no further issues. Regarding the type of chain, I run a SS specific from Rapide and have never broken one. But that might be due to my spaghetti type legs.

Thanks,

I use a standard BMX chain and the fear (previous encounters) of snapping a chain holds a sensitive spot (if you know what I mean)

I weigh about 95KG (not even close to over weigh) with no spaghetti type legs. 

Thanks for the pointing to Rapide, I will check out their inexpensive chains and maybe use them. Will move about the chain line as well to see what gives, or not.....

• 1 month later...

Motorbike chain and sprocket. 

Not sure if you got an answer....I raced mine too with 46x15 gearing and had the same problem.  Serviced my free-body and it cleared the problem.  Free-bodies not meant to work so hard

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Back on Bikehub after a few years off, trying to make a comeback now that my son started cycling.

I still have my beloved single speed racer. 

I see this phase seems to be a thing of the past, or am I wrong?

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

53x18

More for show than go though this build 😎

But is intended to be ridden occasionally!

20230110_193700.jpg

looks gorgeous in that paint scheme.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone know where to purchase the aerospoke front wheel? 🤔 I remember rook cycle use too but haven't for a while.