Single speed - road bikes only

"Stevens"

my lastest SS project...albeit mostly for track use.

Still needs bars and other small detail items...

Nice wheels  :thumbup:

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First ride in with some fine tuning to be done, but a rather nice and quick ride.

Haha. Hairy, I see you most mornings with Nobs and a front Suspension. I might giggle a little if I saw you on this. Very nice though! 

Haha. Hairy, I see you most mornings with Nobs and a front Suspension. I might giggle a little if I saw you on this. Very nice though! 

Look out tomorrow .... should have the roadie commuter running again tomorrow.

I am struggling with the brakes though, using a std basic mtb type lever and some basic caliper brakes ... you pull the levers with white knuckle force and you slow down very slowly.... it is actually flipping dangerous. Got to get this sorted, the bike scares me the way it is and if it rains, it is a real health risk.

• 6 months later...
Guest notmyname

Will try get mine finished this afternoon. Pics to follow.

Update

Replaced the brakes with a new set of callipers and no real improvement in braking.

Fiddled with a friends bike and it was immediately noticeable how much stiffer his brake housing was compared to the housing on my bike.

Figured that the cheap cables and housing must be stretching or deforming under braking (only bought the cheapie cables and housing as I wanted to build the bike up right away and all the bike shops were closed).......so decent cables with housing fitted and the brakes are rock solid.

Seeing as the bike was in the bike stand, I took the liberty of fitting a stiffer stem and a 780mm wide bar that came off a dh bike. This stem bar combo had transformed the bike from a sketch feeling roadie bike to a skinny wheeled mtb feeling bike. Very playful and very comfortable.....Well mostly, the bars could be a little more forgiving with better back sweep, but hey they fit and overall do the job well, so they will stay on till another bar finds itself collecting dust in the garage.

Guest notmyname

Update

Replaced the brakes with a new set of callipers and no real improvement in braking.

Fiddled with a friends bike and it was immediately noticeable how much stiffer his brake housing was compared to the housing on my bike.

Figured that the cheap cables and housing must be stretching or deforming under braking (only bought the cheapie cables and housing as I wanted to build the bike up right away and all the bike shops were closed).......so decent cables with housing fitted and the brakes are rock solid.

Seeing as the bike was in the bike stand, I took the liberty of fitting a stiffer stem and a 780mm wide bar that came off a dh bike. This stem bar combo had transformed the bike from a sketch feeling roadie bike to a skinny wheeled mtb feeling bike. Very playful and very comfortable.....Well mostly, the bars could be a little more forgiving with better back sweep, but hey they fit and overall do the job well, so they will stay on till another bar finds itself collecting dust in the garage.

Pictures please.

Pictures please.

will do so from work tomorrow.....Also need to take a couple of pics in the morning :P

Guest notmyname

Quick questions? Anyone using a half link chain on you SS roadie? What are the benefits? Are there any negatives? Worth It? Not so much?

Thanks in advance.

will do so from work tomorrow.....Also need to take a couple of pics in the morning :P

was running late this morning ... . will take better pics soonest.

Quick questions? Anyone using a half link chain on you SS roadie? What are the benefits? Are there any negatives? Worth It? Not so much?

Thanks in advance.

I am using one on my Fixie, mostly so I could get away with not using a chain tensioner (it's a 'normal' frame) - seem pretty tough but noisy (could also be cause I have it back to front ....)

sorry for the delayed pics ..... took them this morning quickly

please ignore the chain length ... this to be trimmed. The gear ratio was taken down from a 17t to a 16t

post-5403-0-83973600-1449126206_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-01739800-1449126244_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-47140800-1449126277_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-95085100-1449126316_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-81413500-1449126364_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-78781600-1449126400_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-47829600-1449126424_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-96719300-1449126447_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-75496300-1449126452_thumb.jpg

post-5403-0-10927900-1449126458_thumb.jpg

Guest notmyname

I am using one on my Fixie, mostly so I could get away with not using a chain tensioner (it's a 'normal' frame) - seem pretty tough but noisy (could also be cause I have it back to front ....)

Thank you for the feedback.