[Event] Varsity College MTB Enduro (12hr,6hr And Team Relay)

Richard Beswick

Just because you like to shorten the the name "Endurance" by NO Syllables, doesn't make it correct.

If you can't get the name of the discipline right, it doesn't speak highly of the event you are organising.

Just change the name and avoid the flack.

where's the popcorn smiley when you need one. previous insistence on the use of 'enduro' makes me keen to see the response to the overwhelming suggestion for a change, given that enduro refers to a recognized racing format which this event is not promoting...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long has the term "Enduro" been used to describe the ride up and race down (timed only on the down)?

I'm not sure myself hence the question...

Any of you guys so sensitive about the name which we have used for 3 years actually raced in a "typcial" mtb Enduro?

Which one are you referring to as typical? I know a few in this thread (including myself) have raced gravity Enduros and done 24 hour races.

In Motobike terms for a long time, but "Enduro" bikes are used for "rally" type racing which is essentially marathon type racing, and i am pretty sure Enduro World magazine does not only cover "Enduro" racing otherwise they wouldn't sell a whole lot of magazines. In mountain biking probably only in the last year and in Gauteng mtb i can't think of any.

So for the 3 people that get confused and disappointed when they click on the post you would think it had been a life time.

Our name stands, like it or not, I am enjoying the debate though.

I dunno Richard, rallying is a succession of timed sprints over stages which is more like the MTN Enduro we encounter in gravity racing, and less like marathons. Where your time for each special stage is added together.

In Motorbike terms Enduro racing is very similar to REAL Enduro Mountain bike racing.

In both formats there are special stages which are timed, and liaison stages in between the special stages. The Special stages are typically more technical and challenging than the liaison stages.

So a marathon or 6/12/24 hour event is technically not an Enduro.

In Motorbike terms Enduro racing is very similar to REAL Enduro Mountain bike racing.

In both formats there are special stages which are timed, and liaison stages in between the special stages. The Special stages are typically more technical and challenging than the liaison stages.

Exactly.

The motorbike version will have much more uphill. Which isn't such a big deal because it is motorised and not too much loss of momentum when compare with bicycles.

we time every lap so you could see each lap as a stage then we are right in line.

Enduro has a lot more links to Endurance (it is derived from the word) in motorbike terms than gravity mtb, as those races actually require endurance where as riding a short timed section downhill is much closer to an anaerobic effort than an endurance effort.

There's nothing wrong with focusing on the details, but someone who is pedantic makes a big display of knowing obscure facts and details.

Pedantic means "like a pedant," someone who's too concerned with literal accuracy or formality. It's a negative term that implies someone is showing off book learning or trivia, especially in a tiresome way. You don't want to go antique-shopping with a pedantic friend, who will use the opportunity to bore you with his in-depth knowledge of Chinese porcelain kitty-litter boxes.

Seriously???? all this because of Enduro/Endurance? come on!!! get on your bikes and ride the damn race and dont worry about the freaken name

we time every lap so you could see each lap as a stage then we are right in line.

Enduro has a lot more links to Endurance (it is derived from the word) in motorbike terms than gravity mtb, as those races actually require endurance where as riding a short timed section downhill is much closer to an anaerobic effort than an endurance effort.

MTB Enduro racing also requires a lot of endurance. Some of the timed sections are up to 5km long and have long pedalling sections. The liaison stages get you to the top of the mountain again for the next special stage, which means that you need to ride your bike uphill as well.

Enduro is not just an abbreviation for endurance, it is a mountain biking discipline.

In Motobike terms for a long time, but "Enduro" bikes are used for "rally" type racing which is essentially marathon type racing, and i am pretty sure Enduro World magazine does not only cover "Enduro" racing otherwise they wouldn't sell a whole lot of magazines. In mountain biking probably only in the last year and in Gauteng mtb i can't think of any.

So for the 3 people that get confused and disappointed when they click on the post you would think it had been a life time.

Our name stands, like it or not, I am enjoying the debate though.

60% of the time it works every time.

There's nothing wrong with focusing on the details, but someone who is pedantic makes a big display of knowing obscure facts and details.

Pedantic means "like a pedant," someone who's too concerned with literal accuracy or formality. It's a negative term that implies someone is showing off book learning or trivia, especially in a tiresome way. You don't want to go antique-shopping with a pedantic friend, who will use the opportunity to bore you with his in-depth knowledge of Chinese porcelain kitty-litter boxes.

Seriously???? all this because of Enduro/Endurance? come on!!! get on your bikes and ride the damn race and dont worry about the freaken name

Enduro is not an abbreviation of endurance, it is a mountain biking discipline.

Go read here:

http://www.enduroworldseries.com/

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/