Article in latest Ride Magazine pg 74

mikethebike234

Well then I suppose there will be more unfocused moments on flats

There have been many interviews and comparisons on the UK MTBmags and in all of them it comes down to what the individual feels comfortable with.Some of the guys talk about the ability to change the position of your foot which they like

Others to the nature of the track ie PMB is a pedalling track so clipless is good etc

Most pro's won't alternate based on tracks. Too much involved there. Agree 100% with "go what works for you" based on giving it a full go first, though.

Must say, I've had more knocked out of cleats moments than I've had knocked off flats and I ride flats in much rougher terrain. I would assume it's cause with clipless you are spoiled with foot staying put without your input. With flats you learn (to a degree) to keep them put)

But hey, I'm no pro. I'm talking for myself.

sure but there is more concentration focus diverted to re-clipping vs just placing a foot on a pedal. I know clipped vs flats is quite a issue in dhi at the moment

Yip. For sure. Especially when you're in rough terrain and you can't get it to clip first go. Can get "hairy"

Most top downhillers ride clipped in.

Yip

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pedal more and less technical - Clips

Downhill more and more technical - Flats

Going to take the same approach as this, Who knows might feel really comfortable with clipless as I continue to get used to them..

Don't make me say horses for courses again damnit.

Wheel size, flat/spd, full face/open face, lycra/baggies, SS/3x10/2x10/1x11, suspension etc are all dependant on your riding style, terrain and ability.

There isn't a universal truth or onesizefitsall solution that is right for everyone.

There isn't a universal truth or onesizefitsall solution that is right for everyone.

...but this is Hubland and my truth is better than yours! ;)

edit: insert smiley so people can see humorous intent.

Edited by nolipoli

People, People people.

There is no right or wrong answer here.

Ride the one that gives you the biggest hard on, and stop worrying about what the pros and wannabees are doing !

I suspect that Ride caters predominantly for the fun rider and marathon junkies where a proper pinned flat pedal is an unknown beast. I enjoy my Dx pedals and 5.10s - far easier to find your cleat with a cage around the spd portion of the pedal and something to stand on even if you miss the cleat. I look at std spds and wonder how I rode with such horrid tiny things under my feet for so long...

Guest Omega Man

People, People people.

There is no right or wrong answer here.

Ride the one that gives you the biggest hard on, and stop worrying about what the pros and wannabees are doing !

Ugh. There you go ruining a good bun fight with logic and common sense.

Edited by Omega Man

...but this is Hubland and my truth is better than yours! ;)

edit: insert smiley so people can see humorous intent.

Blerry hell - noobs.

Hubrules dictate that because I have 5000+ posts and you have a meager 1000 I am 5x righter than you are.

Of course we need to factor in august times, brand of bike we ride and dong length but I'm already 5x times ahead so shaaaarrrrrrup your face.

*winky face winky face smiley face*

Serious question.....

Some of the 5-10's have a removeable "pad" that covers the cleat area. Is it possible to use the same shoe for two different disciplines e.g. DH (Flat pinned pedals as in CB 50/50's) and Enduro/Trail/AM (Shimano DX)

Personally I prefer to be on flats on my DH bike and to ride clipped in on my trail bike (for now). Shoes are expensive and I am in the market.

My Ballet shoes are for sale and I am going to be in the market for new shoes soon. Just don't want to have to buy two pairs....

Ride with tekkies and flat pedals and see what happens when your wet shoe slips off the pedal whilst climbing a hill out of the river.

Leave him be bru, some people have to knock their own heads. SOmetimes multiple times

Serious question.....

Some of the 5-10's have a removeable "pad" that covers the cleat area. Is it possible to use the same shoe for two different disciplines e.g. DH (Flat pinned pedals as in CB 50/50's) and Enduro/Trail/AM (Shimano DX)

You can, but the cleated 510's have a much stiffer sole than the normal ones, so you might lack a bit of feel on the flat pedals..

Wheel size, flat/spd, full face/open face, lycra/baggies, SS/3x10/2x10/1x11, suspension etc are all dependant on your riding style, terrain and ability.

AS far as clip in ves flats is concerned I beleive there is. Flats are really for rides who know what they're doing. Downhiller suse flats because those bikes are so heavy that they need the freedom of movement to help them position themselves over the bikes for every turn, jump etc.

Agree with you

What I take away from this is never do something because everyone else is doing it, or because its "safer" or "makes you faster" or "you must ride with cleats" first try it yourself and see what makes you comfortable..

Sooo... I have always wondered, why do you call pedals that you have to CLIP into "clipless" pedals??? :whistling:

Thats why I ride flats... Cleated shoes that clip into clipless pedals is just to confusing for me. ;)

AS far as clip in ves flats is concerned I beleive there is. Flats are really for rides who know what they're doing. Downhiller suse flats because those bikes are so heavy that they need the freedom of movement to help them position themselves over the bikes for every turn, jump etc.

Fail. Some pro riders use clipless on pedally courses.

Horses for courses.

Read those 3 words slowly....

Edit: PM me your number - I'll put you in contact with this oke - he could do with some of your help to become that "rider that really knows what he's doing" :devil:

post-2412-0-87907300-1374670047_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eldron