Article in latest Ride Magazine pg 74

mikethebike234

Sooo... I have always wondered, why do you call pedals that you have to CLIP into "clipless" pedals??? :whistling:

Thats why I ride flats... Cleated shoes that clip into clipless pedals is just to confusing for me. ;)

It's one of those silly cycling terms. When they moved to "clipless" pedals they removed the toe strap from the flat pedal - hence "clipless".

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AS far as clip in vs flats is concerned I believe there is. Flats are really for rides who don't know how to fix punctures what they're doing. Downhiller suse flats because those bikes are so heavy that they need the freedom of movement to help them position themselves over the bikes for every turn, jump etc.

Flats and bicycles do not go well together, ever. :devil:

It's one of those silly cycling terms. When they moved to "clipless" pedals they removed the toe strap from the flat pedal - hence "clipless".

Yea, I know... just taking the p!$$ :) , but still, they shoulda been called strapless then :P

Serious question.....

Some of the 5-10's have a removeable "pad" that covers the cleat area. Is it possible to use the same shoe for two different disciplines e.g. DH (Flat pinned pedals as in CB 50/50's) and Enduro/Trail/AM (Shimano DX)

Personally I prefer to be on flats on my DH bike and to ride clipped in on my trail bike (for now). Shoes are expensive and I am in the market.

My Ballet shoes are for sale and I am going to be in the market for new shoes soon. Just don't want to have to buy two pairs....

Not really Grebel. Best to have two sets of shoes. Using shoes with a cleat on flat pedals will not feel totally secure as the cleat will make contact with the pedal body. I do know that guys have run 5.10 Minnaars as pure flat shoes (i.e. left the pad stuck in the middle of the shoe), but TBH I reckon they'll be too stiff to be good shoes for flats (but they will work). I'd say, if possible keep the current clipless shoes and buy a good pair of flats.

Personally, I have found the 5.10 Impacts to be the most robust (the Barons, which are similar to the Freeriders have a much thinner sole and do wear quicker), but the thinner, slightly more flexible sole does offer a bit more grip than the Impacts. If I were to choose and could have only 1 pair, I'd go for the Impacts purely for there additional ruggedness (they still offer great grip). My girlfriend swears by the Sombrios which were going for a good price on CRC not so long ago (but I have no 1st hand experience with them).

Sooo... I have always wondered, why do you call pedals that you have to CLIP into "clipless" pedals??? :whistling:

Thats why I ride flats... Cleated shoes that clip into clipless pedals is just to confusing for me. ;)

Clipless pedals were originally called "safety pedals" by their inventor ( IIRC Roland Cattin, the guy who started the TIME pedal company). When Look introduced the pedal in 1984 it was called pedals automatiques or automatic pedals for automatic release. The intention was to bring ski ing level of safety to cyclists.

The term "clipless" was coined by english media reporting on the pedals fitted to the La Vie Claire cycling team in1985. What gets terms in English sticks....

AS far as clip in ves flats is concerned I beleive there is. Flats are really for rides who know what they're doing. Downhiller suse flats because those bikes are so heavy that they need the freedom of movement to help them position themselves over the bikes for every turn, jump etc.

Nooit Leftyboy - many dhers now ride Dx style spd pedals just like our man Greg M. Helps hugely with the pedally sections and they still manage to handle the bikes - which being clipped in can also help with, if you know what you are doing of course .... ;-)

I agree with posts that state many dh use SPD types.

There are still pro riders who prefer flats. Ever seen Danny Macaskill clipped in?

Some DHers will also opt for Horse for courses approach, but none of this changes the fact that my opinion is that the only people who should be using flats are people who know what they're doing or deliver the post.

All I hope to get from the flats is more "flow" on the trail and learning to move more with the bike. Things like being able to quickly dab if need be and the assurance that I can hop off the bike easily when that damned long wheelie attempt goes wrong and I go down are really just plus points.

Should I go back to cleats or use both systems then I would think it can only make me a better rider at the end of the day .... well I hope so at least :blush:

the fact that my opinion

Sorry to be rattling your cage but those are possibly the funniest 5 words I have read in a while :clap: :clap:

and when you hit those bumps and the less than perfect suspension setup kicks you in the arse, ......

as you fly through the air and life flashes before you, your thoughts will gravitate to............."feck I wish I used those darn SPD'S........."

When we rode with straps we actually had clips/cleats fixed to the shoe which clipped over the edge of the pedal to stop your foot from sliding out

Sorry to be rattling your cage but those are possibly the funniest 5 words I have read in a while :clap: :clap:

Does being douche come naturally or are you just stupid?

I never said my opinion is fact, just that I have one is. :)

Guest Omega Man

and when you hit those bumps and the less than perfect suspension setup kicks you in the arse, ......

as you fly through the air and life flashes before you, your thoughts will gravitate to............."feck I wish I used those darn SPD'S........."

How are spd's going to fix your suspension setup?

How are spd's going to fix your suspension setup?

I think he means it will be a "safety" feature for if you do get bucked a bit .... if you go over the bars though due to a big stuff up on your line choice, skill level too low and K@k suspension setup with a nice rigid body posture on the bike I recon you are stuffed though no matter what pedal system you are using.

I am pretty sure that Shimano still make those platforms that clip on to clipless pedals. Those look Rad!!

Then you don't even need to own a pedal spanner and you can just change whenever you feel like it.

post-4091-0-46789000-1374672121_thumb.jpg