Article in latest Ride Magazine pg 74

mikethebike234

I'm pretty sure he's not actually riding the trail. Just posing on it.

Classic hardcore MTBer tactic. I did it myself with this jump

223829_10151011775760658_1996842611_n.jpg

As you can see, my bike is placed between the launch and landing to give FB stalkers an idea of how big it is. Also it leads them to assume that I myself cleared that jump, where in fact I merely posed my bike in a photo.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure the rider in the NF Black Diamond Death-Trail pic, just posed in it for FB fame. He would be mental to attempt such a trail with so little protection.

PS @ Go-Lefty. The above pic was taken on the Spruit

Ja, the Spruit is lekker (the water too, as you say), but thanks for the pic. I've never seen it during the day. We always do that section at night.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*mini hijack*

where might one find out what all these terms being bandied around mean?

5-10s; flat pinned; CB 50/50s etc etc.

it's obviously not a simple case of clip in or don't.

510's - a type of shoe made specifically for riding with flat pedals, like asics are to running shoes

Flats, pins - flats are flat pedals, they have pins sticking out of them for your shoes to grip on

CB 50/50's - crank brothers 50/50 pedals, clip in pedals that look like flats typically used by downhill riders

etc, etc....

CB 50/50 is a flat pedal.

5.10 is a mountain climbing shoe manufacturer that was approached in 2000 by Intense Cycles to build a riding shoe for their DH team. The guys had issues on wet courses with flats and skate style shoes. The Impact shoe was born. It was called the Intense Sticky Rubber shoe.

What we have today is therefor thanks to DH riders and the clever guys at Intense and 5.10.

Two types of flat pedals exist. The platform type which is a solid body with studs or screw in pins. Popular brand include Spank, Hope, Straitline, DMR and Nukeproof.

The other type is the cage style. Very much like the normal pedals found on new bikes. The cages range in size, shape and sharpness. These are popular with Trials riders due to their insane grip. These will destroy your legs. I have the scar running from my knee to ankle to prove it.

Ask away if you want to know more.

I post another pic of my Budnitz it will look like prostitution.

But do you ride it with flats? :D

I'd say there's a lot more involved than just the time it takes to clip back in. When your foot gets kicked off the pedal it takes your mind and focus off what it is it needs to be focused on. In pro sport at the highest level a couple of tens of a second can make all the difference.

I saw a article somewhere with pictures of his new bike. And the pedals were a combination. They were flat pedals with eggbeater type clip on inside. So I figure if he got his foot knocked out of the clip he would just continue with the flat. Therefore no time wasted.

510's - a type of shoe made specifically for riding with flat pedals, like asics are to running shoes

Flats, pins - flats are flat pedals, they have pins sticking out of them for your shoes to grip on

CB 50/50's - crank brothers 50/50 pedals, clip in pedals that look like flats typically used by downhill riders

etc, etc....

CB 50/50 is a flat pedal.

5.10 is a mountain climbing shoe manufacturer that was approached in 2000 by Intense Cycles to build a riding shoe for their DH team. The guys had issues on wet courses with flats and skate style shoes. The Impact shoe was born. It was called the Intense Sticky Rubber shoe.

What we have today is therefor thanks to DH riders and the clever guys at Intense and 5.10.

Two types of flat pedals exist. The platform type which is a solid body with studs or screw in pins. Popular brand include Spank, Hope, Straitline, DMR and Nukeproof.

The other type is the cage style. Very much like the normal pedals found on new bikes. The cages range in size, shape and sharpness. These are popular with Trials riders due to their insane grip. These will destroy your legs. I have the scar running from my knee to ankle to prove it.

Ask away if you want to know more.

Tx guys.

etc, etc....

Incorrect. The 50/50's are flats, no clips anywhere near them.

You're thinking of the Crank Brothers Mallets, which have an egg-beater clip in section inside a flat pedal style platform.

http://www.bikelife.co.za/sites/default/files/Northern%20farm%201.jpg

Chicken line around the rock garden on the right?

Chicken line around the rock garden on the right?

I think so!! The camera always takes all the depth out of the photo. Can you see the waterfall on the left there?

No, that's definitely the Spruit. You can see how clean the water is. I don't even bother with a camelbak when I'm there, I just cup my hands and drink.

Here's a pic of the wooden section at Northern Farms, but this is just from the blue line though, not the black diamond...

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4104/5011293367_9996ec3a30_z.jpg

Man that is cool. Out of curiosity - how did you get all those riders to wear the same clothes and ride the same bike???

Easy... they're all Cycle Lab club riders on Trek Super Fly 100's.

Ja, the Spruit is lekker (the water too, as you say), but thanks for the pic. I've never seen it during the day. We always do that section at night.

I've heard about you crazy folk who ramp these ramps with your mountain bicycles... at night :eek:

Is this the famed "river gap" I keep hearing about?

You right, the camera even makes that take-off look tiny!

I think so!! The camera always takes all the depth out of the photo. Can you see the waterfall on the left there?