Scalpel frame separation :(

SeanScalpel

I would fight the insurance company. Not sure what the warranty says, but are you within the normal warranty period? If you are, then how can your insurance state that it is wear and tear.

If there is a warranty in place, that means that the item should not have failed within that period. In other words, if Cannondale offer a 3 year warranty, surely they are stating that their item will last for at least 3 years. Therefore, that item should not have fallen apart within 3 years.

I say it cannot be wear and tear.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem on my 2010 Team Scalpel.

This was a manufacturing issue later sortel out with 2011 frames.

The problem: Stays were coated with paint(clear laquer) before the resin was paled on the stay, and subsequently pushe into the frame. Thus a lot of resin was not effectively bonding between the BB shell and the stay(I can suggest you look at your stays bonding to the rear drop outs as well?)

If you deside to stick them in again. make sure you clean both stays an the internal of the BBshell... the ad resin to both sides to be bonded, heat it up to get tacky then insert, and keep it tight...

If all else fails..... Buy a flash29er... similar travel(he hee)...but a lot less hasle....

Is there any specific resin you'd recommend?

What did you end up doing with your Scalpel when this happened? Or were you the 1st owner and got a new frame from Cannondale?

Hehe! The Flash is awesome, no doubt, but man, I love this Scalpel!!!

I would fight the insurance company. Not sure what the warranty says, but are you within the normal warranty period? If you are, then how can your insurance state that it is wear and tear.

If there is a warranty in place, that means that the item should not have failed within that period. In other words, if Cannondale offer a 3 year warranty, surely they are stating that their item will last for at least 3 years. Therefore, that item should not have fallen apart within 3 years.

I say it cannot be wear and tear.

The warranty on the frame is a lifetime warranty man... but ONLY for the 1st owner, which makes absolutely no sense to me, but that's how bike warranty's work and one can't do anything about it.

When I put the claim in with CycleSure, they asked for a damage report, so I contacted Omnico who drafted me an email explaining that the frame separated because the bonding agent has failed. CycleSure declined the claim based on this, because they don't cover wear and tear items, or manufacturing defects for that matter. Irony is, if I rode it until it broke, they would probably have covered it... I can try fight them, but their T&C's are so broad, is it worth all the hassle? And in the meanwhile, I don't have a bike!

Edited by SeanScalpel

The link you posted is to the 2011 Scalpel, not the 2010.

I don't have a pic of my actual bike here, but this is what my bike looks like:

http://bikereviews.c...-mountain-bike/

Then the rear chain stay / seat stay is one piece of carbon? so the other side would have to be separated if it was going to be rebonded.

Earlier Scalpel models (2000-07) had a composite seat stay which mean chain stays were individually bonded to the frame.

ride it until it breaks and then claim?

Are you offering to ride it and braking your colorbone in the process? hehehehe

The warranty on the frame is a lifetime warranty man... but ONLY for the 1st owner, which makes absolutely no sense to me, but that's how bike warranty's work and one can't do anything about it.

Not just Bike Warranty's, any warranty. Trick is to get the Original POP when buying a 2nd hand bike, or any 2nd hand product, within original warranty period.

you could ask the original owner to submit the warranty claim on your behalf....

I have been in contact with the original owner with the hopes of getting the original purchase invoice, but he can't seem to find it. I then asked where he bought the bike from in order to get a copy of the invoice, but nothing as yet.

I figure if someone spends R30K on a mTB they would keep the original paperwork. I keep the invoices for all my bikes. If I end up sellling a frame or whole bike I keep the invoice for two years after I let it go then I bin it. I figure there's little point in retaining an invoice outside of the warranty period unless the frame is out of warranty.

When I sold my Scalpel and Rush frames years ago i handed over the invoice to the new owner and gave him my contact number and email incase anything happened to the frame.

I guess some okes just don't give a hose after the money's back in their bank account :(

PS: I also register my Cannondale's at http://www.cannondale.com/registerbike/

Never needed the warranty on one of my 'dales. I really hope you can get it sorted out.

PSS: the rear stays are just glued in, there is no retaining pin on the 2010 models. They actually had this problem twice. Th first time was 2008 with the first batch where they realised the bridge was not glued in properly. This allowed or differential movement between the stays and hence one would suffer glue joint failure and then again in 2010 which was just before production switched to China

Handy Hint boys and Girls ... when you get the invoice for your bike, scan it in and email to a gmail account or some form of cloud server.

The paper copies can fade as what happened when I had to claim on a Scott before, thankfully my LBS is really competent and had a digital copy on hand that was very legible.

Another reason why CycleSure sucks balls.

I blame cannondale/(and by association)omnico.

They know there's an issue, they admit that it's their fault and they're doing squat about it?

Surely there is no warranty/owner problem here - it's a recall.

If the previous owner knew there was an issue then he's liable too.

you could ask the original owner to submit the warranty claim on your behalf....

that's fraud. and since they've already been contacted in this regard it wouldn't be hard too for them to connect the dots.

The bike manufactures are not stupid guys.They know this is going on.Now days when you fill out a warrenty form they will ask you for proof of purchase and your ID.All manufacturers have warranty only on original owner,that is why when you sell second hand you have such a HUGE price drop.I see in classifieds a lot of bikes going for huge amounts.Bottom line is ,second hand=NO WARRANTY.I know there will be guys that will chirp in how they got it right but those days are ending.

The manufacturers should catch a wake-up. Years ago motor vehicles also had this BS about the motorplan/warrantee is not transferable... Then they were taken to the cleaners.... Now motorplans/warranties go with the vehicle/not the owner. This no-warranty is an easy way for manufacturers to get out of claims as they know, most of us will upgrade bikes at some point and then sell our old bike. If any manufacturer ha real faith and 'proud' around durability of their frames they would offer a real life time warranty! Not a first owner life time warrantee. My 2 cents...