training after being bitten by a spider

I was bitten by a spider a week ago.I did not catch the f er so i do not know what kind.After speaking to a few medical people it seems it was either a sac or a violin spider but leaning more towards sac spider.I am currently on antibiotics and treating the inflamation.My question is whether i can continue with training as i am in a crucial part training for 70.3 race.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lay off on training until cleared by the dr. Sac spiders have a cytotoxin, meaning that the area around the bite, body tissue, will be affected, and not the cardio vascular system, like in the case of a neurotoxin. But since you never saw the bugger, I assume the dr is treating you with a "general" antivenom, or treating you symptomaticly. Rather be safe than sorry. Goodluck with the recovery.

Cytotoxic venom

Cytotoxic venom effects the tissue that is destroyed around the bite and considerable tissue damage can ensue. Lesions of up to 10 cm in diameter may develop. The symptoms develop gradually and often the person is unaware that he has been bitten until the area around the bite becomes painful. It is therefore usually difficult to ascertain the spider species that has delivered the bite, particularly since it often takes place at night. In Southern Africa three genera are of particular medical importance.Two genera, Cheiracanthium and Loxosceles produce cytotoxic venom and are medically important in Southern Africa. The venom of a third genus Sicarius, found mainly in the drier regions, has a combination of cytotoxic and haemotoxic components. However no proven cases of human envenomation are known in South Africa and clinical evidence is inconclusive.violin spiderssac spiderssix-eyed crab spiders

I got nailed by a SAC spider about 3 months ago (I caught it),

its better to take it easy for a bit,..

I carried on training and felt a bit ill after hard sessions.

Just check with your antibiotics with training and the side effects.

Neurotoxic venom

I. Neurotoxic spiders

Neurotoxic venom affects the central nervous system and the bite is usually accompanied by severe pain. In Southern Africa the button spiders (also known as widow spiders) warrant mention in respect of neurotoxic venom. Six species belonging to the genus Latrodectus of the family Theridiidae produce neurotoxic venom and they can be divided into:black button spider complex (more venomous spiders)brown button spider complex (less venomous spiders)

just do it life is to short..just make sure ur life policy is good and the will is current.

I got bitten by a (suspected) sac spider just before the Sani this year.

I ended up taking 4 different kinds of antibiotics and had to have my back lanced to drain the rubbish that was building up under my skin. I had a 4cm incision in my back.

I couldn't sell my ticket a week before the Sani and contracted Flu because of the antibiotics. I still rode.

My answer: go to the clinic and get them to cut, get off the antibiotics and give it a week. Then start your training. You will be fine, 70.3 is a long way off still.

Also got bitten by a sac spider twice within a month. First time 6 bites. Second time only 1 bite.

Antibiotics both times. Stayed away from training for about a week each time. Fully recovered. No scars or marks now.

Felt pretty crap both times.

Suggest you take it easy until you have finished the course of antibiotics

Are doing the Durban trirock? if so speak to your doctor, you dont know what training at high intensity might do, if you are training for a later triathlon then take a week off

guess its taking a week off then.already missed last week.maybe early time for so carbo loading via some beers.