SA MTB Ballies (over 30) Mentalities ??? Please explain

nigelhicks

Keep track just at it is...

just issue some of those sweetie dummies at the start of the race (or to the pre-race warriors!).

then add a HTFU wristband in the goodie bags.... bob's your uncle (and new president, if you reside in Zinbabawe!!)

problem solved... :thumbup:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right ... let me just put this on quickly

http://www.f150online.com/forums/members/johnnyd2723-albums-other-stuff-picture150998-flame-suit.jpg

Ok ... here goes ....

For the past 3 months or so myself and my XC counterpart Nick have been hard at work building the Masters Worlds tracks at cascades for the upcoming Masters and Elite Worlds ....

so here is the scenario ....

In the first month ... Both of us get numerous emails and facebook messages etc from local Masters riders (over 30's) saying that they want the tracks to be tough ... like as tough as the Elite tracks ...

... so for the DH thats not much of an issue as the tracks are pretty similar the whole way down ... So i make the track pretty much the same (as does Nick in the XC side - although his track is different in length etc) ...

BUT ... then ... Okes start to come and practice on the unfinished courses and all hell breaks loose when they start ending themselves ... the guys who were wanting a demanding course now whine that the tracks are too hard or unsafe etc, as they cant ride the sections, or are riding them incorrectly as they dont know what the lines will be when its taped ...

So now i know you cant please everyone ... but when okes are going around changing portions of our tracks by taking out rocks etc (esp on the XC) ... i mean COME ON! ...

If you go overseas to race Masters Worlds in Norway next year - you have to ride whats put in front of you ... you don't whinge ... you just man up (or woman up) and ride the stuff ...

So my QUESTION is ...

how did we (MTBers in general, both XC and DH), become such a bunch of "spoilt brats" that if a track etc is not to our liking we complain or even worse go and try and illegally change the track????

what happens when we all go overseas to race???

------------

BUT THEN AGAIN ..... we can take the criticism ... and the tracks are AMAZING now IMO ... and i am so looking forward to the racing in 2 weeks time .... I hope you all are too ....

Heres a link to a Promo video to get you all amped ...

Just remember its not gonna be a picnic!!! hahahaha

http://vimeo.com/71562048

SEE YOU ALL IN 2 WEEKS!!!

Dont forget you vuvuzelas!!!

Cheers

NIGE

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for all the effort you guys put in... I rode the course, and from what I saw on Nick's U-tube video, it will only get better...!!

WELL DONE GUYS!!

Edited by ChunkyMonkey

The okes that are complaining range from Average-jo who has entered ... to (i-have-been-around-forever-and-am-still-good) ex pros ....

As the UCI Tech Delegate said to me last year - my standards of trying to please people are too high

I was aiming for 70% of the riders 70% of the time on 70% of the track..

He said he aims for 50% across the board ...

Well, if cycling is the new golf, what did you expect. I just had a moan session with a client that didnt like the feel of a bike he begged me to source.

I think courses should be closed for the weeks leading up to XC and DH events. Give the course builder a chance to define his precious. It is world class competition so the track needs to be that way too.

I say then invited a cross-section of the group(pro to weekend warrior) to help with the chicken run and you got a good chance to keep everyone happy.

Edited by kennyg

@Nige

Just as a matter of interest, how do you downhillers deal with people walking their dogs while you are practising. On Sunday I cut across the course by Dr Evil and looked down at the tabletops to see a couple walking with about 5 dogs on the course..I can imagine if you came roaring down there the dogs will want to get in the way of your wheel!!

I think courses should be closed for the weeks leading up to XC and DH events. Give the course builder a chance to define his precious. It is world class competition so the track needs to be that way too.

AAAH YES

thanks for reminding me - GUYS ... PLEASE NOTE - Nick and I will likely be closing both tracks after this long weekend so we can do final repairs and maintenance .....

I will let you all know of exact dates ... but this weekend will be the LAST WEEKEND that you will get to practice

@Nige

Just as a matter of interest, how do you downhillers deal with people walking their dogs while you are practising. On Sunday I cut across the course by Dr Evil and looked down at the tabletops to see a couple walking with about 5 dogs on the course..I can imagine if you came roaring down there the dogs will want to get in the way of your wheel!!

Bru .... Chris Nixons wife flipping ate crap on Sunday trying to avoid exactly that ... I donno ... We have spoken and spoken and may need to put signs up that hikers must stay on the forestry roads ... but i know for a fact signs mean nothing ....

Bru .... Chris Nixons wife flipping ate crap on Sunday trying to avoid exactly that ... I donno ... We have spoken and spoken and may need to put signs up that hikers must stay on the forestry roads ... but i know for a fact signs mean nothing ....

I wonder if it was the same people....it was sunday morning around 9ish. I do think some signs need to be put up where paths criss cross the track as that morning i came across those two, some trail runners, and another two old codgers walking.....down at the xco course there were a myriad of people walking and walking dogs

I wonder if it was the same people....it was sunday morning around 9ish. I do think some signs need to be put up where paths criss cross the track as that morning i came across those two, some trail runners, and another two old codgers walking.....down at the xco course there were a myriad of people walking and walking dogs

Yeah I'll bring it up with Nick today

Hey slow down there Nigel.....who're you calling ballies? At 41 I don't see myself as a ballie, but then again, that's thru fading eyes...................

Admittedly, some 20years ago, I may have considered VETS as ballies