What to eat while riding?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent seen a post like this, so I dared open this thread to the multitudes of opinions of fellow roadies.

As a general rule I struggle to eat anything while exercising. Its like the pathway between mouth and stomach is closed for the duration of the activity. But, riding for two, three or four hours forces you to recharge dem glutecose in dem muscles.

So after trying snacks and various bars and failing to find something I can eat (and stomach) while riding that doesnt make me nausious or cause a build up of phlem, I appeal to my fellow hubbers. What works for you?

Jungle Oats bar, any type except for the light - does not have any oomph.

Don't waste your money on Powerbar, way too overpriced.

Also try some nuts and wet biltong for proper proteins.

Shees, are you people on a diet?

Hell, I eat. I use wedgewood nougat race bars. They work very well for me, but I have to do something salty. My local grocer does very nice venison dry wors. Works a treat on long rides 2h+. When training solo I will also pack a Lays lightly salted. I also love bananas and something nutty. Mini rolls with peanut butter and jam. My moms biscuits (soetkoekies) also works a treat. I also enjoy potatoes on the bike, but that is too much prep. That is why I love the DC. I just take something of everything. :eek:

The dark choc jungle oats bars are also great.

Anything goes while I am out training. But then I just carry water.

For racing I will take race nougat and water and one bottle of Game(for when the hammer is down).

Date Balls

White bread sarmies spread with mixture of powdered biltong,marmite and butter

Oh and with the crusts cut off

Does blue balls also come from dates?????

I been doing a lot of reading up on this subject, cause i'm sick and tired of hitting the wall 10km from the finish.

I now use everything low GI. Like 32GI energy drink. I make sure that what I eat is low GI or it will negate the low GI energy drink. So 2 slices of low GI seed bread with tablespoon of peanut butter cut in 4. Still experimenting but that and 2 750 ml bottles of the drink should last me up to 4 hours.

I now only use 1 GU which is for emergencies in the last 40 minutes of a race, it will spike you and hopefully drop you at the finish line

Racefood and powerbar gels work like a charm for me. Drink water or inside edge(Titan labs). Enjoy.

Unless you're a fat burner (look at the LCHF thread) then you need carbs to race. You can train on water only but when you start revving the motor your body needs carbs or you'll bonk. Liquid is better than solids and remember the higher the nutritional value of the foods the longer it will take to digest.

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated

Experiment and then you'll discover what works for you.

There's no absolute right formula.

Anyone else use the efs liquid shot? Find it works really nicely if you just sip it, and find it lasts surprisingly long.

Usually got camelbak full of water, bottle of juice (efs drink) then a liquid shot, dry wors, some salted baby potatoes and a peanut butter and jam sarmie. Long rides the rule for me is drink every 15mins, eat every 30mins - just a mouthful or 2. If I use bars I like the jungle oats nuts/banana/berries, or the woolies breakfast bars.

Short rides is a bottle of water with one of those electrolyte tabs (zero highs)

I must say I find post ride recovery nutrition has helped a heck of a lot though.... don't get home with "the thirst" or "the hunger". Again efs for me - ultragen but it is a bit pricey.

I think I might prefer something salty to eat, and get the glucose from gel (bought or homemade). Havent tried it yet, but trying to do some mental calculations. Will test my theory on Saturday's ride.