Which 29er for my purpose - advice please?

racman

If its in your budget, then a Santa Cruc Tallboy Long Travel ticks all the boxes you looking for. You can ride it all day, and rip it on the trails when you need to. It really is a do anything bike.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is my only concern with the Pyga.

Don't know what the Spez Camber frame weighs but know there are some pyga builds coming in under 13kg's with a frame weight of +/- 3.3kg for the large frame.

However I don't think weight should be the deciding factor on this type of bike especialy if you're not a race snake, you can always put on lighter gearing.

Pyga is too heavy

A Pyga with XX1 build and light wheelset will not be too heavy.

In addition to the above, the way a bike handles should be a higher priority than the weight. Especially in the light of what Racman said in the original post. A bike for a non race snake, for the odd stage race but which is also fun on singletrack.

However all the bikes mentioned in this thread sounds awesome.

Racman, you better post pics once you made the purchase.

Edited by Brian Fantana

Don't know what the Spez Camber frame weighs but know there are some pyga builds coming in under 13kg's with a frame weight of +/- 3.3kg for the large frame.

However I don't think weight should be the deciding factor on this type of bike especialy if you're not a race snake, you can always put on lighter gearing.

The entry level Spez camber is 12,1kg. Comes at R30 000 with a carbon frame. The pyga is gonna be a lot more expensive an come in at the 13,5 kg to 14kg mark depending on size. If you gonna do stage races the pyga is gonna hurt you, thats not its intended purpose.

Ok just found out that SC Tallboy Carbon frame is way out of my price range (same price as Camber comp) :unsure:

I ride a FS01. I put a riser bar, fatter tires and a 120mm fork on it. It made a massive difference. It is a beautiful trail bike now.

Even if you keep the 100mm fork and just raise the handlebar it will work lekker.

+1

How does the Pyga fit into this requirement or is it purely a trail bike?

Great choice. Rode mine in the 2013 joBerg2c and loved it. Super comfy bike on the long distances and an unbelievable trail machine!

Ok, so the cheapest option to see if an already great bike will suit me (my BMC FS02) is to try the riser bar option this weekend. If that doesn't work (yes, decent setup as well;)) then it will be in the classifieds next week and I will start searching for something more suited to my riding requirements, ageing body and wallet!

I may well be missing something here, but if its only the riding position that is wrong, that can be changed without much effort.

thinking out loud...

A short riser stem and riser bar will bring the hands up by ~100mm and back by ~50mm - not too bad so far

If the seat still needs moving forward to get rid of the stretched out seating position than things get a bit more complicated.

An offset seat post can be used to move the seat around if the standard adjustment is not sufficient - but moving the seat forward could be an issue, guessing the seat isn't too far back from the vertical position of the BB if the bike has a race feel.

Comparing the BMC to a Tall Boy

- Head tube is only slightly slacker on the Tall Boy, 69.5 vs 70.2

- Seat tube 73.5 vs 72.4

Putting on a longer fork as already mentioned would increase the head tube and seat tube angles, changing the way the bike feels, putting the seat further back from the BB, and rising the handlebars. Downside would be a slightly higher BB, but not by much.

Might be able to change the head tube angle with an angle adjusting headset of some sort (cane creak make them) not sure on the suitability for this bike.

Camber Comp. A bike to ride for weeks on end. Most comfy bike I have ridden without sacrifice.

Agreed, yet light enough, and affordable. I know you get a lot of spez haters, but it is a fantastic machine for the price. Has a great frame and the fox ctd shock is superb. I always wanted a Spez epic, since I started cycling, I rode a Camber and epic back to back and the difference is huge. Fell in love within 100 metres. But hey, thats my opinion and I own one. One day Santa clause will bring me a Santa Cruz Tallboy.

Edited by schalk1982