Bike insurance

Garfield2010

Ok so I decided to take my bikes off insurance.

3 x bikes (Road/TT/MTB)

Each cost R150 so that's R450 per month and this does not cover them during a race.

If they get stolen at home (or from a house) they are still insured. So I need to take care in terms of when I drive somewhere.

Lets hope nothing happens (as the last 13 years went past uneventfully)

Problem is I never really use more than one bike at a time. Sounds silly but I mean in winter I only use the MTB so I pay a big premium for the other bikes I never use. In summer I only use my TT bike and then maybe ride one or two races with my RB. So why pay the premium for the road bike when I only race with it (and it is not covered in any case).

I am opening a savings account and will deposit R400 per month into this as a bicycle fund account.

If only I started doing this 13 years ago.....

Don't jinx me please.

My bike is specified as part of my "All Risk" items and is covered regardless of how / where it's lost or damaged.

Dude that's nothing, try insuring your bike with Outsurance.

My one MTB is with them ..... R624 / month!!!!

My other bike is with Cyclesure at just over R300/month, but must say their terms and claims procedure is super smooth and bike is well covered.

Time to move the other one to Cyclesure as well!!

Greg29, I would check that fine print with your broker , Ive actually been in a Meeting with my Broker this morning and all 3 of my bikes (TT,Mtn and Road) are also covered under ALL risk (which includes theft (from home,race, off rack or where ever), Hijack, Accidents in training). However on most insurances (pretty much all except bike specific insurance co's) Accidents in an Official race sitiuation (as the Op said) are NOT covered at all. So if you crash in Training you are fine, but if its on day7 of Epic or any other race you are NOT covered for repairs or replacement

Exactly my point. It is expensive bit not fully covered. Fair not to cover road bikes in races due to bunches etc but TT and MTB? Stupid if you ask me...

TT is one of the safest sports in or outside racing. You have to crash. Anyways whats the purpose of insurance if it is only partially insured?

Greg29, I would check that fine print with your broker , Ive actually been in a Meeting with my Broker this morning and all 3 of my bikes (TT,Mtn and Road) are also covered under ALL risk (which includes theft (from home,race, off rack or where ever), Hijack, Accidents in training). However on most insurances (pretty much all except bike specific insurance co's) Accidents in an Official race sitiuation (as the Op said) are NOT covered at all. So if you crash in Training you are fine, but if its on day7 of Epic or any other race you are NOT covered for repairs or replacement

who is the insurer if i may ask ?

Ok so I decided to take my bikes off insurance.

3 x bikes (Road/TT/MTB)

Each cost R150 so that's R450 per month and this does not cover them during a race.

If they get stolen at home (or from a house) they are still insured. So I need to take care in terms of when I drive somewhere.

Lets hope nothing happens (as the last 13 years went past uneventfully)

Problem is I never really use more than one bike at a time. Sounds silly but I mean in winter I only use the MTB so I pay a big premium for the other bikes I never use. In summer I only use my TT bike and then maybe ride one or two races with my RB. So why pay the premium for the road bike when I only race with it (and it is not covered in any case).

I am opening a savings account and will deposit R400 per month into this as a bicycle fund account.

If only I started doing this 13 years ago.....

Don't jinx me please.

And the other 50 bucks?

Similar to my cover but my bikes are covered during racing as well.

Similar to my cover but my bikes are covered during racing as well.

Just make a 100% sure of that. I got conflicting feedback regarding this. Some brokers say no one covers a road bike in racing events.

Others say the LBS now does insurance.

My son was involved in a crash at last years Argus racing Elite and our insurer replaced the carbon wheels and frame

In Bloem some people also cycle on the N1 (nie die verby pad nie let wel - eers as jy verby maselspoort gaan oppad tol hek toe) so some insurers have apparently refrained from paying claims due to "illegal" cycling practices. Wonder what life cover will do in the same circumstances...

PS:- Keep that "eccentric" fellow away from this thread plz