Amashova 2013

fabs

This was the first time I have ridden from a seeded group, D.... I must say that it was the funniest thing ever.

These guys take it SOOOOOO seriously. Attacking here and then shuffling and pushing for positions there. ITS GROUP D man!

The group splintered up the hills in the middle and reformed on the drag down to Durban.... heres my question as a newbie. Why on earth do the people not work together in these groups? Instead they jocky for position in a large group at speeds over 50km/h, causing the entire group to get nervous and slow down...

If you are still 30km out, making up 2 positions in a group of 100 plus is not going to change your result, but you are slowing the group down which will.

Talk about motivation to get to faster groups!

Speaking of the wind, I see 50 odd guys from group D sub 3h last year, only guys 3 did it this year, not sure if thats an indication of how the wind effects the middle guys..... So not too unhappy with a 3:15.

Does anybody have an idea on the Beta value of this ride?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant ... My first one too, Had 2 punctures in the first 6kms so chasing my bunch Up Those hills killed my legs... ended up limping the last 50 ks. Thanks to the guys along the way for working with me and especially to the ladies that towed me(hands over eyes)... 3h54 time

Coca Cola... yes please ... I was drained at the end ... tongue on the floor

I saw you on the one hill, you didnt wanna talk :) -

Brilliant race. Awesome road surfaces. Challenging yet rewarding. When that one oke said Durban I s situated higher than PMB he wasn't joking :eek:

This was the first time I have ridden from a seeded group, D.... I must say that it was the funniest thing ever.

These guys take it SOOOOOO seriously. Attacking here and then shuffling and pushing for positions there. ITS GROUP D man!

The group splintered up the hills in the middle and reformed on the drag down to Durban.... heres my question as a newbie. Why on earth do the people not work together in these groups? Instead they jocky for position in a large group at speeds over 50km/h, causing the entire group to get nervous and slow down...

If you are still 30km out, making up 2 positions in a group of 100 plus is not going to change your result, but you are slowing the group down which will.

Talk about motivation to get to faster groups!

Speaking of the wind, I see 50 odd guys from group D sub 3h last year, only guys 3 did it this year, not sure if thats an indication of how the wind effects the middle guys..... So not too unhappy with a 3:15.

Does anybody have an idea on the Beta value of this ride?

For some guys riding in D is like riding in the Elites or Vets.

Everybody has their own goals and ambitions.

IMO this race is a good indicator for the 94.7

You did a 3:15 so you'll probably do a 3 or 2:05 94.7. Obviously this will depend on a few things (weather, bunch, etc).

Well done !!!

For some guys riding in D is like riding in the Elites or Vets.

Everybody has their own goals and ambitions.

IMO this race is a good indicator for the 94.7

You did a 3:15 so you'll probably do a 3 or 2:05 94.7. Obviously this will depend on a few things (weather, bunch, etc).

Well done !!!

3 or 2:05... :) that's quite a wide gap. I guess you meant 3 or 3:05 :thumbup:

3 or 2:05... :) that's quite a wide gap. I guess you meant 3 or 3:05 :thumbup:

You picking on me on a Monday ??? :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Ja I meant 3 or 3:05 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It was my first Amashova. I loved it. Beautiful scenery. Good atmosphere.

Thanks to Lone Rider and Andyr249 for helping me out with working out a target time. I was hoping for a 3:15, and I did a 3:17, which I'm very happy with.

Anybody saw the lady in the white investec kit pulling a 40 man pelathon on the M13 - LAdy well done :thumbup:

There was a guy I was riding with for bit over the last climb, he pulled me a bit. Looked over my shoulder and there was a massive group, he pulled them for probably 15km. Spoke to him afterwards, he was 70!!!!

It was my first Amashova. I loved it. Beautiful scenery. Good atmosphere.

Thanks to Lone Rider and Andyr249 for helping me out with working out a target time. I was hoping for a 3:15, and I did a 3:17, which I'm very happy with.

Good going, considering that relentless headwind you did well. :thumbup:

First Amashova done!!! I really enjoyed this race and the route is amazingly beautiful. I set my target at 4:30 but managed to come in at 4:03. Im quite happy as this is my first 100km+ride. Some of you may have spotted me. Would have been the oke with my Hub name written on my race number.

What time can I realistically expect for 94.7? I have a really late start (10:03) as I registered day before closing. I am hoping that I can get reseeded with my Shova result in. Any idea whether it would make any difference given that my time is not great by any measure.

First Amashova done!!! I really enjoyed this race and the route is amazingly beautiful. I set my target at 4:30 but managed to come in at 4:03. Im quite happy as this is my first 100km+ride. Some of you may have spotted me. Would have been the oke with my Hub name written on my race number.

What time can I realistically expect for 94.7? I have a really late start (10:03) as I registered day before closing. I am hoping that I can get reseeded with my Shova result in. Any idea whether it would make any difference given that my time is not great by any measure.

There are a lot of variables which could affect your 94.7 result...that said, the Elites did the 94.7 in 2:10 last year, almost 10 min quicker than the Shova. That equates to roughly 7%. You can therefore expect a 3:45...but don't let my maths be a limiting factor...aim for a sub 3:30 :-)

Reseeding closes tomorrow, 15 Oct. I've attached the form. I would say it's worth the r150 if you are currently unseeded.

Reseed Application Form.pdf