Chain cleaner?!

Maximis

Heard from my mechanic that Shimano chains aren't supposed to be joined with a PowerLink...more likely to get a stiff link.

Something to consider if your chain is not SRAM.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you break it once and use the space you have created by breaking the chain to fit the link....the connex one I posted a couple of pages ago is re-usable for 10spd drivetrains. For 9spd good ol SRAM quick link will work prefectly...takes about 5 sec to remove or fit

Where can i get Connex links, i can never find them always have to replace my 10 spd links after removing them 8 or 9 times

Heard from my mechanic that Shimano chains aren't supposed to be joined with a PowerLink...more likely to get a stiff link.

Interesting

I have been using SRAM links on Shimano chains for years without any hiccup.

Mechanic is wrong!

Used 9 and 10 speed SRAM links on shimano chains with never a hassle.

Can re use the 10 speed ones aswell, need a pair of links pliers though because they are tough to remove

Where can i get Connex links, i can never find them always have to replace my 10 spd links after removing them 8 or 9 times

Why do you wanna replace them after 8 or 9 times? I remove my chain at least once a week. I do between 150 to 250 km per week on my mtb. I also remove the chain when the bike is traveling on the back of my car to races or mtb weekends. That means I remove the chain at least 30 times during the life of the chain. I only replace the SRAM link when I replace the chain. It never came lose or break during a race or ride. Shimano chain SRAM link no problems also. Been doing it this way for 3 years.

I don't see the connection between a stiff link and a powerlink...tell the mechanic to stop talking BS

CRC and some lbs....cyclist's workshop on william nicol is where I got mine

I would challenge that statement by way of Hub feedback here...you would have heard some negative feedback long ago already!!

trust me... (do a poll if you feel lie it) Hundreds of guys here on the hub used quicklinks on many kinds of chains...only ONE feedback of a guy that saw his arse without wanting to...spinnkop's friend. BUT the details as to exactly what happend is unclear to me...

Pity that Shimano don't offer something similar to SRAM's QuickLink/PowerLink. The replacement pins are ridiculously expensive.

Pity that Shimano don't offer something similar to SRAM's QuickLink/PowerLink. The replacement pins are ridiculously expensive.
Bought a Shimano chain the other day and it came with their own version of quick link. Still prefer the sram version.

The 10spd SRAM link requires a tool...for that reason I have moved to connex on my spd drivetrain....works perfectly

Removing the chain each time to clean it sounds like effort and unwanted maintenance issues...Old toothbrush and normal engine cleaner works wonders for a dirty chain :thumbup:

Removing the chain each time to clean it sounds like effort and unwanted maintenance issues...Old toothbrush and normal engine cleaner works wonders for a dirty chain :thumbup:

mmmmm dunno so much the effort, pop off..put in tub of degreaser...take out after a couple of hours...put on..Very simple

Problem with the toothbrush and engine cleaner is that the bb-shell is below the chain and the freewheel body also below the chain when scrubbing it on the bike....even if you are super careful, there is bound to be contact with those components(diluted while washing it off or concentrated while you are scrubbing it) with the degreaser...I don't want degreaser within 10m of my bearings(wheels and BB) hence me removing the chain from the bike.

Diesel or Paraffin > Petrol as it not only cleans your chain very effectively, but also leaves behind a residue that acts as a lubricant yeah.

Just keep it simple. No need to spend lots of money on all these "professional" cleaning agents that promise to do a better job when diesel or paraffin already prove their worth.