MotoGP

SeaBee

Yammie boys are confused to say the least.

Zarco fastest on a 2017 bike which VR/MV said is crap. So many different iterations of 2016/2017/2018 frames and engines in the pits. Between the 3 riders they had 9 bikes, 4 for Rossi, 3 for Vinales and 2 for Zarco. Then Rossi bins the only 2018 frame/engine bike after 2 laps so no feedback but regardless they all say no real difference between the models and after 20 laps they all suffer from rear end grip issues, again. What a mess :blush:

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yammie boys are confused to say the least.

Zarco fastest on a 2017 bike which VR/MV said is crap. So many different iterations of 2016/2017/2018 frames and engines in the pits. Between the 3 riders they had 9 bikes, 4 for Rossi, 3 for Vinales and 2 for Zarco. Then Rossi bins the only 2018 frame/engine bike after 2 laps so no feedback but regardless they all say no real difference between the models and after 20 laps they all suffer from rear end grip issues, again. What a mess :blush:

At least they can read their pit boards. #Mapping8

Would have loved to see how MM93 would have stacked up on a 'stroker.

He sure has insane skills on the latest bikes.

Talent is Talent in my mind. So no doubt he would have been good.

But those 2-smokers did leave lasting scars on those that didn’t respect them. You can spot them in the paddock, in wheelchairs or dragging a serious limp or missing some digits.

The guys these days just get away with so much more. Tracks safer and kit a million times better. New bikes tend to lowside you. The old bikes turned you into astronauts.

I often say the same thing, but I think it is a false equivalency to try and compare him on 2stroke to those who did ride them.

He has grown up riding different bikes and learning other skills that he needs for the current bikes.

Talent is talent, but a guy who is good on a 4 stroke might not be good on a 2 stroke, it’s not that one talent is better than the other but rather just a different talent. I mean, we see it even on smaller gaps, where guys could ride 250s and win, but could not podium on 500s, guys who rock at riding twins in SBK but suck at the 4s.

So again, one is not better than the other, but a guy who rocks at riding a 240hp 4 stroke won’t necessarily rock at riding Doohans screamer.

New bikes tend to lowside you. The old bikes turned you into astronauts.

That’s because they have been able to create a front end “traction control”.

It’s electronics more than the riders that has stopped the good ol high side that used to keep the Havoc franchise in business.

That’s because they have been able to create a front end “traction control”.

It’s electronics more than the riders that has stopped the good ol high side that used to keep the Havoc franchise in business.

Tyres have also played a role.

Few years back dual or tri compound tyres would've been laughed at.

So, what's your educated opinion then. Would MM93 have shined/featured on a stroker or not?

Rossi is the last of a breed, being champ on a stroker and a constant title contender on the four strokes. Don't think any of the current crop even rode a 500cc two stroke.

So, what's your educated opinion then. Would MM93 have shined/featured on a stroker or not?

Rossi is the last of a breed, being champ on a stroker and a constant title contender on the four strokes. Don't think any of the current crop even rode a 500cc two stroke.

Its definitely not an educated opinion, Im just some fanboy :P

But with the current skillset that MM has, I am not sure that he would win off the bat on a 500cc, in the same way that I do not think that if you took Doohan/Rainey/KS in their peak years and popped them on a MotoGP bike that they would win right away. 

Massive motorcycling talents, but the slight differences in the talents required is enough between winning and not, at the highest level of motorcycle racing.

Tyres have also played a role.

Few years back dual or tri compound tyres would've been laughed at.

Sure they have but not sure that is contributing to the growing differential between high sides and low sides. Improved tyres merely move the limit of grip. They would improve grip on both the front and the back.

HAve a look at the difference in cornering styles over the years, thanks to the enhancements in grip and lean levels. On the big smokers, they were mostly on the seat pad, just leaning a little bit. It got progressively lower, and lower and lower and now they're hanging their arses off the side so low that MM can actually use his knees and elbows to save a front end slide. 

It's ridiculous, but amazing. 

Totally different riding styles, and totally different machines. VR is the only one to have been there throughout the metamorphosis. 

Did MM93 not win on a 125 2smoke ??

Now i certainly know there is no comparison between a 125 and a 500 ,

but he has adapted to all class just like VR46 did .

I think he would have been just as deadly on a 500 .

The biggest problem was those 500's wothout electronic AID forced one to have a good medical AID ....

Did MM93 not win on a 125 2smoke ??

Now i certainly know there is no comparison between a 125 and a 500 ,

but he has adapted to all class just like VR46 did .

I think he would have been just as deadly on a 500 .

The biggest problem was those 500's wothout electronic AID forced one to have a good medical AID ....

Yes but thats the point, often Rossi fans wont see the truth impartially either.

Rossi didnt hop from one to the other and simply start winning, he grew with the classes as they changed.

We will never know if MM could have won on a 500cc, so its bit of a lazy way for Rossi fans to call him better than MM, but conversely he will also never have a 500cc title to his name....

Yes but thats the point, often Rossi fans wont see the truth impartially either.

Rossi didnt hop from one to the other and simply start winning, he grew with the classes as they changed.

We will never know if MM could have won on a 500cc, so its bit of a lazy way for Rossi fans to call him better than MM, but conversely he will also never have a 500cc title to his name....

The only way we'll know definitively is if the guys decide to ride bikes from a different era at each race. Having said that, there'd still be a factor of bias in the results as each bike has a different style and each rider has a different style, suited to one or another bike, even in the same era. 

Stick Rossi on a Honda or a modern Duc now, and see what happens. Stick MM on a Yamma or a Duc or a Suzie, and see what happens. 

If you watch MM on a MX bike he’s pretty damn good. Was on par with Rossi at his Ranch before the bust up (many believe when MM rocked up with his own suspension guy for the fun event it was the beginning of the end of that love story). That might suggest he has the feel of riding “loose” bikes well. I stand corrected but you don’t see WhoreGay or Danny doing too much MX in training for example.

Hard to compare any athlete from different era’s in sport where technology has played such a big role.

There’s no proof that Doohan, Rainey or Schwantz could ride a modern MotoGP Bike at the front of the field either. Once again highlighting for me personally why Rossi is the best we’ve ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk