Argus 2014

vaalkol

I'm in X starting at 7.16, which given my limited abilities, I am v happy with. But what i don't understand is that they used Carnival City, Serengeti and Race for Victory only to determine my seeding. But none of these are listed as seeding events, so I am confused. I did all the biggies last year - Argus, R4S, Amashova, 94.7 but none of these races have been used. Im confused. Any ideas?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, I don't care much for exact seeding position. I'm happy enough with that.

What peeves me is that previously ONLY seeding races were used. These races were billed as such and that's what it was. This year they've added some more, no worries there. But... it used to be your best seeding race's index getting you seeded, nothing else.

But now suddenly, without any prior warning, they decide to use ALL results to do the seeding with?! This includes penalising races - incl seeding races! - which were done more than 6 months ago?!

Therein lies my gripe. Clambering off my soap box now. Still looking forward to the ride!

Ok, so we all now have a great understanding of the index calculation.

Can someone explain WHY non seeding races were used for the index? We bust a gut to get to official seeding races, do them and for some reason the Argus decides to include arbitrary races from 2014?

Yes, yes, I know its probably the way to do it, but then let us know. I would have asked for a loan from the bank and done every race this year if Id known it would help and skipped the One Tonner, or the Burger etc etc

Not sure how that happened. :blink:

Edited by TPbike

Could someone also explain how VA, VB, VM, A & elite woman are all set to start at the same time... That could be CRAZY!

Probably only 25 elite women, 25 VA, 25 VB, 25VM and 50 A seed. Done, group of 150. Easy and manageable. From the previous results its easy to tell the top 25, and because they are racing for top 3 spots and not time, why have a bigger group?

At the end of the day the new Seedings apply to everybody so the net effect is the same for everybody. You can see how yours was calculated, so stop moaning. Which races they used and the index ladder is the same for everybody! If you want a better seeding ride faster than those around you.

Love how we all ask can someone please explain..... I know its a figure of speech

But seriously, CSA/PPA there is no explanation. :rolleyes:

Edited by Meezo

They used all races last year as well. I specifically remember because none of the "seeding" races were used for me last year.

Any PPA Racetec timed race will count towards your Argus seeding.

At the end of the day the new Seedings apply to everybody so the net effect is the same for everybody. You can see how yours was calculated, so stop moaning. Which races they used and the index ladder is the same for everybody! If you want a better seeding ride faster than those around you.

Some races might have a too high beta and the people who did those races might be slower than you but end up starting in a better group just because you did not do that specific race. So if everyone did all the races, then only will it be "fair". I think I recall that the PPA One Tonner got a great beta while Die Burger beta was not that great even though it was windy.Tour de PPA and Bouckaert(123km) also got pretty low beta's. I know they use a mathematical approach to determine the beta but its not perfect.

Edited by DJTerblanche

I'm in X starting at 7.16, which given my limited abilities, I am v happy with. But what i don't understand is that they used Carnival City, Serengeti and Race for Victory only to determine my seeding. But none of these are listed as seeding events, so I am confused. I did all the biggies last year - Argus, R4S, Amashova, 94.7 but none of these races have been used. Im confused. Any ideas?

When you go to the seeding.cycletour.co.za website, you can click on "show unused seeding results". You'll probably find that your seeding for those big races wasn't part of your best 3 seedings, so they excluded them.

Probably only 25 elite women, 25 VA, 25 VB, 25VM and 50 A seed. Done, group of 150. Easy and manageable. From the previous results its easy to tell the top 25, and because they are racing for top 3 spots and not time, why have a bigger group?

Maybe a question for CSA - if a lady wins that group, does she then get the ladies, VA, VB, VM and A Argus prizes and jerseys?

Maybe a question for CSA - if a lady wins that group, does she then get the ladies, VA, VB, VM and A Argus prizes and jerseys?

Or if a VM rider wins, does he also get the VA & VB prizes?

Or if a VM rider wins, does he also get the VA & VB prizes?

Haha yes, any maybe if the VM rider is gay he can also win the ladies prize?

Any ideas as to what average time group T would do? First time I'm doing the Argus, so don't really know what to expect. How do you see what your seeding score is?

If Group T is anything like last year's group and conditions the same then you should be looking at 3h35 to 3h55

50th out of 700 came in at 3h30

200th - 3h40

300th - 3h45

400th - 3h50

500th - 3h55

You can search for last years argus event here and have a look for yourself (Option 4)

http://racetec.co.za/profile/my-events/