Argus 2014

vaalkol

When you go to the seeding.cycletour.co.za website, you can click on "show unused seeding results". You'll probably find that your seeding for those big races wasn't part of your best 3 seedings, so they excluded them.

Many thanks. Interesting to see that they have used non seeding events - and that they have used Champion chip timed races. Did not know racetec would allow that.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know numbers haven't been my strong point recently but this gives a bit of a view on the whole sub 3 thing.

YEAR | # SUB 3 FINISHERS | GROUP THAT MADE IT | SEEDING INDEX

2005 | 240 | Group A | 14.6%

2006 | 800 | Group F | 16.8%

2007 | 1,300 | Group G | 18.4%

2008 | 1,700 | Group I | 22.4%

2009 | 150 | Only Elites | 10.8%

2010 | 130 | Only Elites | 12.5%

2011 | 1,000 | Group F | 18.4%

2012 | 570 | Group C | 15.3%

2013 | 450 | Group B | 12.5%

I imagine weather plays the greatest role on the day. Last year the weather was pretty good and only 450 made it.

2007/8 must have been given a nice push by proper tail winds.

Maybe a question for CSA - if a lady wins that group, does she then get the ladies, VA, VB, VM and A Argus prizes and jerseys?

I was also wondering that. First one across the line claims all the categories?

From what I've seen, if your seeding index is below 8 you get put in A, between 8 - 13 you land up in B, 13 - 16 gives you a C seeding...etc Not sure about Elites and Veterans. I'm in VB, my seeding index is 7.4. Girlfriend is in H, her seeding is 27.5.

Seeding index

A

8.00 B 13.00 C 16.00 D 19.00 E 21.50 F 24.00 G 27.00 H 31.00 I 35.00 J 39.00 K 43.00 L 47.50 M 52.00 N 57.00 O 63.00 P 69.00 Q 75.00 R 82.00 S 90.00 T 100.00

Nope, that doesn't work either. Acoording to this I should be in D, not F.

So basically you could have had a brilliant 99er, but because its more than 5 months to the next Argus, that result wont 'count'. What will be the point of doing an official seeding event if you're gonna get penalised for it anyway?

Seeding index

A

8.00 B 13.00 C 16.00 D 19.00 E 21.50 F 24.00 G 27.00 H 31.00 I 35.00 J 39.00 K 43.00 L 47.50 M 52.00 N 57.00 O 63.00 P 69.00 Q 75.00 R 82.00 S 90.00 T 100.00

Where is this from? Do you have a link?

I know numbers haven't been my strong point recently but this gives a bit of a view on the whole sub 3 thing.

YEAR | # SUB 3 FINISHERS | GROUP THAT MADE IT | SEEDING INDEX

2005 | 240 | Group A | 14.6%

2006 | 800 | Group F | 16.8%

2007 | 1,300 | Group G | 18.4%

2008 | 1,700 | Group I | 22.4%

2009 | 150 | Only Elites | 10.8%

2010 | 130 | Only Elites | 12.5%

2011 | 1,000 | Group F | 18.4%

2012 | 570 | Group C | 15.3%

2013 | 450 | Group B | 12.5%

I imagine weather plays the greatest role on the day. Last year the weather was pretty good and only 450 made it.

2007/8 must have been given a nice push by proper tail winds.

This is very nice stats.

But there is always a few outliers.

There is one sub 3h finisher in the L group of last year!

T - no issue either way really, it is what it is, same seeding process applies to all I think. Aiming at enjoying the ride primarily, for me it's just for the fun The time will be whatever the conditions and fitness let me get on the day.

Was Q last year - but didn't do anything aside from Die Burger this year, and was still hampered with injury on that one. Looks like that result was used for my seeding. Buddy of mine rode in Q last year and also dropped to T this year, and I think he's done fewer races this year too. So seems to be some consistency to it

This is very nice stats.

But there is always a few outliers.

There is one sub 3h finisher in the L group of last year!

He did 3,03 . I road with him from smits to suikerbossie . He was in vets but got a puncture on the start line and only started in L.

So basically you could have had a brilliant 99er, but because its more than 5 months to the next Argus, that result wont 'count'. What will be the point of doing an official seeding event if you're gonna get penalised for it anyway?

so basically you are saying you want to do one race a year and expect the same seeding as a guy who works hard and races all year round.... sounds fair.

He did 3,03 . I road with him from smits to suikerbossie . He was in vets but got a puncture on the start line and only started in L.

Impressive, but there is a 3,03 and a 2h59 on racetec for the L group of 2013.

Some races might have a too high beta and the people who did those races might be slower than you but end up starting in a better group just because you did not do that specific race. So if everyone did all the races, then only will it be "fair". I think I recall that the PPA One Tonner got a great beta while Die Burger beta was not that great even though it was windy.Tour de PPA and Bouckaert(123km) also got pretty low beta's. I know they use a mathematical approach to determine the beta but its not perfect.

Ok, but that means you have a problem/question with the beta value calculations not how the seeding ladder was applied to your calculated index.

so basically you are saying you want to do one race a year and expect the same seeding as a guy who works hard and races all year round.... sounds fair.

Exactly why my seeding has dropped - and not unfair IMO. I'd be much less happy if I worked hard in races this year and ended lining up next to some guy (basically me) who'd done nothing, and just got seeded off last year's ride

Not what I'm saying. I'm saying whats the point of doing the seeding race before Oct if they are being penalized?? Will those events see smaller fields participating? Can the event organizers of those events truly call them as seeding events coz essentially they dont help your Argus seeding.

I agree you need to participate in events leading up to the Argus from a race fitness perspective. No issues there.