[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #4 Hakahana

Tim_Fair

Is that the real result or does that list of DNF's include those that did not start the ride?

Yes - includes non-starters.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Already thought of riding to and from the venue +-70km with for example 15-30km of trails.

That will make an interesting +-5 hour outing. Né Maxi....

We already talking to Renosterspruit to create a link

Very Sorry to hear this. My Fiance actually made a point of picking up some litter by the jumping castle area where she was sitting but she did comment that there was a bit of a shortage of bins to throw things away in. Personally I find it annoying to see gels and rubbish left on route (and being the beginner racer I am there are a lot of people ahead of me) and as such I always keep any rubbish I generate in my camel back to throw away at the finish. I can't understand how some people expect someone to follow the entire length of a race to pick up their litter. Really I think water points should have bins and there should be plenty of bins at the finish but on the trail people should bag it till they get back.

As a climber everyone is taught through peer pressure that you take your rubbish with you when you leave an area. That includes gross things like oily tuna cans and I have seen people go to great lengths to prevent the tuna oil messing up their pack so I don't understand why a gooey left over gel pack should pose such a problem. Even the most light weight cyclists wear a racing jersey with pockets. I say mtbing needs more peer pressure. Access is a very real concern and is one of the major discussion points within the climbing scene and litter directly affects access. The mtb community needs to realise that these are not public roads and the farmers have no obligation to allow you on their land so as in climbing we need to be concerned about keeping land owners happy. Climbing has lost a couple of stunning areas due to a few irresponsible people and I see all the same symptoms in the mtb community with one crucial difference - there are a lot more mtbers than climbers which means that code of conduct for them is even more critical by the sheer nature of numbers.

Exactly. Access is a delicate issue. Its taken almost 2.5 years for us to negotiate the 51 landowners we now have on board to launch Hakahana Trails. This kind of litter is sure to blow it quickly!!

I personally noticed a lot more litter than normal on this race? The strange thing was that a lot of the Gel packs were still full, so I am not sure if all of it was intentional? Nevertheless it is still litter and not what we want to leave behind as riders??

Yes, its strange - a lot of gels were full!! The litter on Rinkhals earlier today was staggereing. As the landowner put it " I was expecting some litter, but this is just too much!" We acknowledge the lack of bins at the venue and will address, but this needs serious attention. Its an attitude.

I got lost at about 42km, came down a steep decent, turned left, joined up with the half and seven km later I was at the finish, very disappointed in my self, not sure where I missed the boards.

I should have followed you. My babalaas was bad.

Yes, its strange - a lot of gels were full!! The litter on Rinkhals earlier today was staggereing. As the landowner put it " I was expecting some litter, but this is just too much!" We acknowledge the lack of bins at the venue and will address, but this needs serious attention. Its an attitude.

Attitude is everything!!

With all the security some b@stards still managed to steal my mates wife's MTB. She was seated in the car waiting for her 40km start time while he started the 70km. Then I see on book face that Jaco Ferreira's bakkie was also stolen.

We stopped next to a VW Polo metallic silver colour with a hook-on bike rack on the back but no bikes. One of the two inside wore a bicycle shirt (White) as well as a helmet (also white if I remember correct). The car had mag wheels with lowish profile tires and dark tinted windows. They looked VERY suspicious and they parked the car in such a way that they could look at the whole parking area (They reversed the car into the parking bay). They sat there in the car for about 20-30min then started the car and moved to another spot and I did not see them again. I told my father that they look fishy, I should have taken a picture. Ask your mate's wife if she perhaps recognised a similar vehicle close to their vehicle.

I will definitely recognise this car when I see it again.

We already talking to Renosterspruit to create a link

This could be fantastic!

We would be very keen to ride these routes together.

I loved the route for the race, markings were a bit strange at times. And the distance was somewhat shorter than expected ( 62km rather than 66km)

My own battery was a bit flat on the day, but nothing was ' too technical'.

Good luck with the trail and you will be seeing me again :thumbup:

We stopped next to a VW Polo metallic silver colour with a hook-on bike rack on the back but no bikes. One of the two inside wore a bicycle shirt (White) as well as a helmet (also white if I remember correct). The car had mag wheels with lowish profile tires and dark tinted windows. They looked VERY suspicious and they parked the car in such a way that they could look at the whole parking area (They reversed the car into the parking bay). They sat there in the car for about 20-30min then started the car and moved to another spot and I did not see them again. I told my father that they look fishy, I should have taken a picture. Ask your mate's wife if she perhaps recognised a similar vehicle close to their vehicle.

I will definitely recognise this car when I see it again.

Yip, I spoke to her after the race, it was a silver polo with two dudes in it.

Man, I had bad luck

On the saartjies nek climb I broke my chain and in the process of fixing it lost my only quicklink. A good samarathan named I think Lourens gave me his.

Thanks man, I really hope Karma gets back to you on that one

Then on the descent towards waterpoint #3 I got a huge sidewall cut and again a samarathan gave me a spare tube, but alas, it was not meant to be and I punctured that as well. (26" in a 650b does not work that well)

Ended up walkint the 6k's to the start and got a lift from a farmer for the last 1k

Oh well, was still better than sitting at home on the couch!

Lesson learned: Dont be complacent and leave half of your spares at home!!! be prepared for anything

Are you referring to Renosterspruit north of Lanseria? Will be really cool if these two are connected.

Must be no0bs, and maybe not on purpose then. But doesn't the event organisers do a post-race litter sweep? could be putting those quad bikes to good use for once.

i didn't see too much litter on the marathon and I was amongst the blunt end of race.

Edited by kosmonooit