Power Tools

LOOK695

Was using my Louis Garneau MTB gloves in the garden this weekened after I nearly sliced off my thumb two weeks back.

Going to that safety store on Saturday opposite AutoZone to get some proper gloves and some ear plugs. I value my ears too much after I damaged my hearing as a teenager (not music but a very bad ear infection that resulted in me going deaf for two weeks).

Look for the ear muff protectors, you dont lose them so easily and they are usable over and over.A little more expensive initially, but worth it in the long term.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true and I see too many people these days neglect safety. Then again I have never forgotten the smacks I use to get from metal work teacher when my tie was loose, or my woodwork teacher who would smack us if you held your saw skew.

Safety first, second and last on the checklist.

Hmmm...the good old days when the taecher would say "gaan kies vir jou 'n plank..." meaning... go get yourself a piece of wood with which i can moer you!!

No wonder bra Juliaas failed woodwork...corporal punishment were already banished in those days!

Was using my Louis Garneau MTB gloves in the garden this weekened after I nearly sliced off my thumb two weeks back.

Going to that safety store on Saturday opposite AutoZone to get some proper gloves and some ear plugs. I value my ears too much after I damaged my hearing as a teenager (not music but a very bad ear infection that resulted in me going deaf for two weeks).

The WPK in Stellenbosch sells all the safety gear!

I bought a nice pair of leather gloves (pig skin) that is resally comfy and will definately be able to handle nails etc.

great stuff and R70-00

maybe i'll just cycle with them as well...

With regards eye protection, I think those silly little goggles you get are useless, better than nothing of course but bits can still come in around the edges, I would suggest getting a full face protector from a good safety shop, looks almost like a clear welding mask, same size, they also have the advantage that they protect your face from flying bits and that, if like me, you wear glasses for close up work you can still do so with the face protector.

True - a face protector is good for things like grinding - but the glasses are supposed to be worn ALL the time - I see a fair amount of industrial type damage done to bystanders and un-involved people - most of it due to flying debris that good glasses would keep out of the eyes at least - if not the face - somehow I think we don't see minor facial things anywhere near as much as actually happens - they just get a dose of antiseptic and a plaster on site, and we never see them unless they can't control it locally - but eye damage tends to come in....

True - a face protector is good for things like grinding - but the glasses are supposed to be worn ALL the time - I see a fair amount of industrial type damage done to bystanders and un-involved people - most of it due to flying debris that good glasses would keep out of the eyes at least - if not the face - somehow I think we don't see minor facial things anywhere near as much as actually happens - they just get a dose of antiseptic and a plaster on site, and we never see them unless they can't control it locally - but eye damage tends to come in....

Good point, an angle grinder kicks up a long plume of debris. Cut off saws, and circular saws too, debris everywhere, its important as you say for bystanders as well.

Dont forget a decent leather apron as well when using the grinder! Saved me a trip to casulty once!

Mr farmer down the road also has some good prices on gloves.

Hate to say it but Benbel (at the mall) also have some nice leather ones that are well priced

Dont forget a decent leather apron as well when using the grinder! Saved me a trip to casulty once!

And comes in handy when doing maintenance on the bike :thumbup:

True - a face protector is good for things like grinding - but the glasses are supposed to be worn ALL the time

I have to wear prescription glasses and always do. Has saved me many times but that full face helmet is still a must as its R3K for new glasses.

But just the other day I was removing a bracket out of the wall and I pulled too hard, it banged me in the eye. If I had not had my glasses on it would have been casualty ward. Hurt like hell and my glasses survived without a problem.

Those full face helmets are also handy for weed eaters and cutting holes into ceilings (just last week I had to cut a 30cm hole for our bathroom extractor fan and I had all that crap landing in my face)

Don't see any mentioning of Hitachi. I have a circular and jig saw and find them nice to work with.

Don't see any mentioning of Hitachi. I have a circular and jig saw and find them nice to work with.

Yes, not that commonly available is the most likely reason. Very nice products though, I had a Hitachi baby grinder once, think it got stolen but it was great, cant say anything bad about them.

Big box stores sell the majority of power tools here in SA for obvious reasons, so if you as a brand arent represented there, you just wont move volumes and be as well known, sad but true.

VERY good tools. Them, AEG, Metabo, Makita, De Walt, Festool and a couple of others are the big dogs of the tool world

I have to wear prescription glasses and always do. Has saved me many times but that full face helmet is still a must as its R3K for new glasses.

But just the other day I was removing a bracket out of the wall and I pulled too hard, it banged me in the eye. If I had not had my glasses on it would have been casualty ward. Hurt like hell and my glasses survived without a problem.

Those full face helmets are also handy for weed eaters and cutting holes into ceilings (just last week I had to cut a 30cm hole for our bathroom extractor fan and I had all that crap landing in my face)

Full face is a definite when weedeating if you have dogs.....the dog *** sprays everywhere if you happen to encounter some in long grass!

Yeah. I'd LOVE to get hold of my grandfather's Record & Stanley planes, spoke shaves and chisels. They're the PROPER stuff, 40 plus years old and still going strong. Proper steel. I wouldn't touch anything with the Stanley name on it now. Even their levels & set squares are out at times.

I'm going to say it, and my flame suit is on - but - I'd buy GRIP tools before I bought Stanley.

Funny you mention this. I have recently started woodworking, something I never got to do in school and always wanted to do. So I've been trying to build up my tool collection.

I recently managed to get hold of my great grandfathers stanley plane, which I've found out is from 1925-1928. Tiny bit of work to restore it, but is now working like a dream. I really love old tools. It is also sentimental for me, even has his name stamped into the side.

Stanley today is just not the same at all.

Funny you mention this. I have recently started woodworking, something I never got to do in school and always wanted to do. So I've been trying to build up my tool collection.

I recently managed to get hold of my great grandfathers stanley plane, which I've found out is from 1925-1928. Tiny bit of work to restore it, but is now working like a dream. I really love old tools. It is also sentimental for me, even has his name stamped into the side.

Stanley today is just not the same at all.

Yeah. It's a shame that I really don't have anywhere to store all my tools, and as such I can't bring myself to spend that much on a decent set of kit until such time as I have a garage or other proper enclosed structure (with weather proof doors etc) in which to store them.

I have an external structure, but it's so small (and poorly built) that it just doesn't do the job to my satisfaction. It's on the list for "fixing" though.

That list carries on growing, however. SO when I get around to it, I don't know.