DH World Champs

Capricorn

Greg and the guys would have been up around 70 - 80km/h coming out of the Gully

I can definitely believe that. Because of the speed factor, the Gully is quite possibly the most insane piece of track I've seen in real life. Standing up close watching Ropelato gun it through there in practice was ridiculous. Seriously ridiculous.

Edited by MH for short

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nope - sorry i disagree

It was consistency that won this race! As Shilton says! ... Greg was consistent the entire way down - having teh fastest 1st and 3rd sectors .... those who over spent themselves in Sector 2 suffered in sector 3 and that was that

Big up to Graves though coming from nowhere on Sector 1 to 3rd by Split 2 at the end of Sector 2 ....

I think he was the biggest gainer there

Mr Hicks, how would you like to build a course on a hill this steep?

Dont suppose you know who this Morewood Saffa is?

2003 Lugano World champs course

post-182-0-02931100-1378235764_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-67112000-1378235742_thumb.jpg

hahahhaa That would be Mr Kelsey would it not???

Yeah I wish we had that gradient, But then again, I think there is always a fine line between too steep and too shallow gradient. I honestly think that if the obstacles are right, and technical enough and the flow is there the track doesnt need to be too steep ....

But gradient would really help as then you dont have to pedal! hahahaha

Edited by nigelhicks

Guest Omega Man

Yeah I wish we had that gradient, But then again, I think there is always a fine line between too steep and too shallow gradient. I honestly think that if the obstacles are right, and technical enough and the flow is there the track doesnt need to be too steep ....

But gradient would really help as then you dont have to pedal! hahahaha

Spoke to Devon and he was RAVING about the track. Said you have real vision. I actually think that guy on the silver morewood is barnard.

what u disagreeing with Mr world champ, it's quite unclear.

Im disagreeing with you! hahahaha

http://brandontrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/i-strongly-disagree.jpg

I think one of the reasons Graves did so well on the second sector is that he was running single ply low rolling resistance tires front and back which would have given him a big advantage on the high speed/ pedalling sections.

I think one of the reasons Graves did so well on the second sector is that he was running single ply low rolling resistance tires front and back which would have given him a big advantage on the high speed/ pedalling sections.

Not so sure...

post-37207-0-39442800-1378279745_thumb.jpg

I actually think that guy on the silver morewood is barnard.

I cannot remember who it was or if he was a junior or elite rider, at the time just saw the jersey and took the pic...

Not so sure...

Graves actually said to me that he went back to High Roller II DH tyres as he felt they gave him the best grip in the dry, dusty, slippery track conditions.

So no (as Skandalis says) ... he was not on super light weight tyres -

Matt Simmonds however ran a semislick front and back! - Brave man!

Edited by nigelhicks

Im disagreeing with you! hahahaha

http://brandontrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/i-strongly-disagree.jpg

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1332909672788_8234974.png

;)

Edited by Capricorn

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1332909672788_8234974.png

;)

hahahaha - was disagreeing with this quote

Reality is, this section (SECTOR 2) is where it was won or lost as nothing downstream offered sufficient make-up opportunity, and the top section held some reward, but at higher risk."

As we can see Greg was up at the top - down in the middle (although only by a bit) and up again at the bottom.

Although Graves came out of nowhere after the top - physical power mainly, but some bike weight ... as Gregs V10 bike weighs 14.9kg compared Jareds SB-66c which was about 13kg with the 180mm fork.

It was therefore won on the top and bottom this year again as Greg made up enough time in the top to stay in touch after the pedal and then pull back time on the tiring Hannah and Graves in the bottom after they had pushed too hard in the middle

Edited by nigelhicks

I agree with Nigel... it is a bit of a new way of thinking about the course. Most used to say the race was won on the middle section, but actually Greg seems to have held back a bit on the flat to give it stick on the last section.

Greg often took the short, inside line on turns with berms and walls - I think he made some time there. How he made it stick in those situations is another question...