CSA and its Politics.....

Jerry Lewis

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me about the other channels.....

what better channels than the cycling community??? i.e hubland...we do actually cycle here... don't we??

As for the OP...thank you for sharing that...I alreday know about CSA woes and My opinion of them just cannot get any lower, unfortunately!!

While most of us seem to feel that CSA are a waste of time - and its the same with the governing bodies of other sports such as running, triathlon, canoeing, etc - and that we should just ignore these bodies and leave them out of event organisation, the problem as I understand it is that in 2010 the government gazetted the "Safety at Sports and Recreational Events Act". And this Act basically makes it impossible and illegal for any organisation or individual to stage any event other than under the auspices of their governing body.

There was a local, fun triathlon event running for about 10 years in our town. All ages form 8 to 80 participated in a well organised event. Then Triathlon SA got wind of it and, citing the Act, told the organisers to either get TSA on board, which of course means pay them, or shut it down. No pretense of trying to promote and grow the sport, simply a blunt attempt to collect more cash. Front-pullers!

Edited by davidlangebaan

Think we can all appreciate the need of a single body to manage/promote/control Cycling in SA,

Think no one is appreciating the way it is being done though.

But then they are just following their #1's example.

G

While most of us seem to feel that CSA are a waste of time - and its the same with the governing bodies of other sports such as running, triathlon, canoeing, etc - and that we should just ignore these bodies and leave them out of event organisation, the problem as I understand it is that in 2010 the government gazetted the "Safety at Sports and Recreational Events Act". And this Act basically makes it impossible and illegal for any organisation or individual to stage any event other than under their auspices.

There was a local, fun triathlon event running for about 10 years in our town. All ages form 8 to 80 participated in a well organised event. Then Triathlon SA got wind of it and told the organisers to either get TSA on board, which of course means pay them, or shut it down. No pretense of trying to promote and grow the sport, simply a blunt attempt to collect more cash. Front-pullers!

This discussion comes up many times. To be on the committee and change things, there is a system through clubs, provinces and then CSA. Representatives get selected by the provinces. I wonder how many cyclists even go to the relevant elections and meetings at the various bodies to elect new faces, or put themselves up for election ?

It's no use always complaining but never doing anything about it.

I don't agree with how CSA operates, but Ll I'm saying, if you don't like something, only you can change it, and it starts with getting involved.

Almost all controlling bodies are run by administrators, and have the same issues.

so you didn't get elected!

Who is we ?

if you feel so bad about wasting CSA money you pay for the trip then!

if you really want to help the youth , get involved in your area - that is where the action takes place - don't worry about national bodies, they just a bunch of fat old men talking ****.

Sir... no disrespect to you. However, you post is missing the point OP is making.

If you take the time to read the post holisticly, you will see the point that he is making, and will realise he has the best interests of cycling in SA in his best interest.

Peter Pan...

Sir... no disrespect to you. However, you post is missing the point OP is making.

If you take the time to read the post holisticly, you will see the point that he is making, and will realise he has the best interests of cycling in SA in his best interest.

Peter Pan...

This discussion comes up many times. To be on the committee and change things, there is a system through clubs, provinces and then CSA. Representatives get selected by the provinces. I wonder how many cyclists even go to the relevant elections and meetings at the various bodies to elect new faces, or put themselves up for election ?

It's no use always complaining but never doing anything about it.

I don't agree with how CSA operates, but Ll I'm saying, if you don't like something, only you can change it, and it starts with getting involved.

Almost all controlling bodies are run by administrators, and have the same issues.

Thats exactly what I tried to do Sir........Its a closed shop run by a bunch of fat old men that do not have anything else but their own interests at stake........

Thats exactly what I tried to do Sir........Its a closed shop run by a bunch of fat old men that do not have anything else but their own interests at stake........

Gerald Sorry, I wasn't referring to you. I was talking about this thread and others, where others all complain about CSA, but do nothing about it. Unfortunately there needs to be more people like you prepared to try and change the system. A bit like complaining about the government, but yet you don't vote at elections !!

You do realise my post was in your defence ?

My comments were directed at Omar and his short sighted veiw of the posting you made.

Peter Pan...

You do realise my post was in your defence ?

My comments were directed at Omar and his short sighted veiw of the posting you made.

Peter Pan...

I did thanks.....

Gerald Sorry, I wasn't referring to you. I was talking about this thread and others, where others all complain about CSA, but do nothing about it. Unfortunately there needs to be more people like you prepared to try and change the system. A bit like complaining about the government, but yet you don't vote at elections !!

Its going to need a govt enquiry into CSA......what I saw and learnt about the workings of CSA this past week end is really mind boggling......

Was there not government intervention a few years back where they were forced to follow the 11 province rule. Also where issues started with PPA when they boycotted the meeting.

So government said there can only be 11 affiliated bodies, so PPA didn't qualify, but didn't want to then be part of the system.

Problem is, government then walked away, job done, with no further interest in how it is being run. To the extent that the PPA issue still not resolved.

Its going to need a govt enquiry into CSA......what I saw and learnt about the workings of CSA this past week end is really mind boggling......

Yeah, they are looking for a good replacement for honorouble Dina Pule!!

I think it would be foolish to expect any positive result from government intervention anywhere, let alone CSA. The sports bodies have the same outlook as government SA, Afrika and geenral 3rd world style. That is to maximise personal benefit, then push a broad political agenda, then maybe only, dead last, do something about the sport itself. That is after all what makes us, and them, 3rd world, almost by definition.

In the 3rd world responsibilities are taken on individually and sub contracted out as needed. Think education, security, health etc then sport. Reliance on government is optimistic, foolish for the pessimists.

So the rant; well done Gerald, CSA will not be changed from the inside by trying to appease the crooked beast. Keep up what you are doing, try and fend off interference, treat CSA and its fellow travellers with suspicion and disdain. The odd one may prove otherwise but it isn't the rule.