Accident 07.09.13 St James Main rd

wolf182

Accident 07.09.13 St James Main rd +/- 9am

Was out for a run with some mates and as we approached St James station heading back to M'berg witness a truck knock a kid from her bike.

Worst thing i ever saw in my life, lots of people stopped and called in an ambulance. We didnt stay.

Be careful out there guys, preying the kid in fine.

The child has conambulancecious but she seems like cant move or just didnt move in case to protect her from other injuries. My friend called ambulance amd I and other people tried to sort out the traffic. I was upset a bit to some drivers bec one road was blucked by the big truck so traffic was so bad but some car drivers slow down the car to see what happen there.. I really hope the young girl can cycle again...

Sad news, our prayers are with her.

I cycled via Boyes Drive at that time. I almost chose riding via the Main Road...

I have said it before and say it again...that road is a death trap. I appealed and released a video to Helen Zille that gone unanswered after the last tragedy there...

My thoughts are with the little girl and that she makes a full recovery.

I side with iCycling on this one for that stretch of road - Cycle two or three abreast in the middle of the road and do not let vehicles overtake - its the ONLY way you can stay safe.

I have said it before and say it again...that road is a death trap. I appealed and released a video to Helen Zille that gone unanswered after the last tragedy there...

I side with iCycling on this one for that stretch of road - Cycle two or three abreast in the middle of the road and do not let vehicles overtake - its the ONLY way you can stay safe.

Then you have fool of a photographer living in Kalkbay taking photos and publishing them in the newspapers. Not to mention some rather irate drivers.

When road is too busy , cycle on pavement (railway line side Muizies to St James) or in the middle of the lane and pull over if traffic builds up.

All the best for the little cyclist and her family

Very sad.

With the draft safety regulations requiring a 1 metre gap when passing a cyclist, cars will probably have to wait for a single cyclist to ride this whole stretch without passing in the lane. Well, if motorist wish to act lawfully anyway. We all know the likelihood of that though.

Pity they can't make that road a one-way so there is place for a bicycle lane

I heard that the initial plans for this stretch had a bike lane with two way traffic. I think they went with street parking instead. It would already have saved a number of lives. Anyone got any insight on this?

Edited by Nick.

Avoid this stretch like he plague if you ride alone. Trucks and buses will take you out sooner or later. Cars can still get past without killing you, but very often a bit too close for comfort. In a bunch, you can dominate and block the traffic, but then you end up with a whole horde of very irate drivers that must still pass you when the road widens - just watch how recklessly they do that after sitting behind you for that distance. Ride WIDE awake here if you do, but I'd rather go over Boyes Drive to minimise the exposure to this stretch.

Agreed

its about time cyclists mobilise to have the law changed. if a road user is killed due to an accident the onus is on the other party to prove innocence or guilty of a lesser offense than murder.