Mamba rears its head - Tokai

DJR

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off topic here, but what time does the hut open for me to buy a permit? Flying down on Sunday and want to go for a ride first thing Monday morning. I am in desperate need of a ride at Tokai, as I have not ridden them since December :cursing:

Slightly off topic here, but what time does the hut open for me to buy a permit? Flying down on Sunday and want to go for a ride first thing Monday morning. I am in desperate need of a ride at Tokai, as I have not ridden them since December :cursing:
Not 100 percent sure but I think it's around 7.30 to 8.00

Speaking for myself, I know I tend to slow down at that particular bend knowing the risk. I've almost taken one dude out there once. Might be worthwhile putting warning signs warning descending riders of climbers at the top as well. I'm actually very surprised that there aren't that many collisions up at Tokai. Perhaps people are generally more cautious than we think :ph34r:

At that point on the trail hit that drop/jump which lands me into the trail just before the little lip and the left hand berm or slightly further back depending son speed. There is definitely scope for a coming together there as viz is very poor. A divert for up riders past that point is perhaps an option that should be looked at. Its the most obvious problem area on Vasbyt.

The troll bridge is also stuffed - last time I rode it I thought the thing would collapse under me where the planks are broken...

Its the most obvious problem area on Vasbyt.

The troll bridge is also stuffed - last time I rode it I thought the thing would collapse under me where the planks are broken...

There are worse corners with zero visibility. And you've not ridden the bridge since it was fixed on Thursday last week?

Edited by Pain or shine

Mmm, not sure where the worse corners are with the same level of potential for a serious head on, but will check next time.

Bridge - Nope I haven't ridden there for a week :-(. Good to hear its fixed, well done and thanks.

Mmm, not sure where the worse corners are with the same level of potential for a serious head on, but will check next time.

Bridge - Nope I haven't ridden there for a week :-(. Good to hear its fixed, well done and thanks.

Pallet jump after teh road crossing is one for sure, though that's not a corner (ask Deon - we came across a group of youngsters as we were flying down there - had to do some mid air maneuvering as they had stopped in the middle of the trail - deer in the headllights stuff) - the corners in the lower Vasbyt area, also where the windy bit and the bridge section rejoin, lots of other places where the speed is quite high...

The fynbos re-growth on lower Vasbyt has now become high enough that there are several "tunnel" areas that make for blind corners. I'm hesitant both going up and coming down because I've had a few potentially nasty near misses there. (Unlike the sleeping beauty :wub: that did crash into me in the Fairy Garden.) I cannot see that the fynbos can be cut back to improve visibility on Vasbyt, so turning it into a uni-directional trail seems the only solution in the long term.

My 2c worth

The fynbos re-growth on lower Vasbyt has now become high enough that there are several "tunnel" areas that make for blind corners. I'm hesitant both going up and coming down because I've had a few potentially nasty near misses there. (Unlike the sleeping beauty :wub: that did crash into me in the Fairy Garden.) I cannot see that the fynbos can be cut back to improve visibility on Vasbyt, so turning it into a uni-directional trail seems the only solution in the long term.

My 2c worth

I think the idea of bypasses at sharp bends (mentioned earlier in this thread) is a good one. Making bypasses unidirectional will then reduce the risk of collision. There's really only about 3 spots on Vasbyt where I think this is really necessary. And as you say, it's only in the bottom section where the fynbos has gotten quite thick and tall.

Just wanted to give kudos to the team who did some maintenance on Mamba, particularly the bush trimming and the addition of some rock at the now infamous rock garden / drop off. I only realised after I had a good (OK very good) run that the bush had been cleared.

The slight flattening of the one drop, while making it slightly easier, is also a positive step. I know I'm going to get flamed for this (dumbing down of our trails, etc), but I don't think the intention of the trail builders was that Mamba would have hectic rock steps.

Just wanted to give kudos to the team who did some maintenance on Mamba, particularly the bush trimming and the addition of some rock at the now infamous rock garden / drop off. I only realised after I had a good (OK very good) run that the bush had been cleared.

The slight flattening of the one drop, while making it slightly easier, is also a positive step. I know I'm going to get flamed for this (dumbing down of our trails, etc), but I don't think the intention of the trail builders was that Mamba would have hectic rock steps.

Don't worry you won't be flamed, you are correct. Would be nice to have a few drops on the trail but nothing hectic. I found a good supply of the right shaped rocks for that section so it should slowly take shape over the next week or two.. iRide assisted on the day, thanks (and sorry) again Dan! And Marko35s, thanks for the rescue.. :blush: :clap:

Don't worry, as someone who would usually not be keen on "dumbing down", I agree fully on this. Mamba is ridden by too many beginners to have a rock garden of that difficulty (and danger) included.

Smoothing it out a bit will - if anything - increase the flow for us guys who tend more towards the gnarly stuff and enable us to carry more speed through it, so no harm done!

Smoothing it out a bit will - if anything - increase the flow for us guys who tend more towards the gnarly stuff and enable us to carry more speed through it, so no harm done!

I did a Strava PR on the smoothed section, so I'm not arguing :clap: :clap: :clap: .

Trimmed foliage + "smoother" rock garden = super fast

Thanks to the trail builders for this bit of maintenance. I love your work :thumbup:

Is it possible/ practical to have two lines down the Mamba rock gardens? Best of both worlds, hey? It would be cool to have a gnarly section like what had developed (I like scaring myself) but also a fast and safe line. I'll accept "Then come to a build day" as an answer :P

Edited by Nick.

Thanks to the trail builders for this bit of maintenance. I love your work :thumbup:

Is it possible/ practical to have two lines down the Mamba rock gardens? Best of both worlds, hey? It would be cool to have a gnarly section like what had developed (I like scaring myself) but also a fast and safe line. I'll accept "Then come to a build day" as an answer :P

My friend and I were discussing this on Saturday.

Also "coming to a build day" should not have to be a pre-requisite for making a suggestion. If the suggestion has merit it should be considered.