Mamba rears its head - Tokai

DJR

Last time I road the Cecilia area I got stopped by parks, they asked for my activity permit, which I produced and they let me go on my merry way...! Was almost like they stopped me trying to catch me out, but had my card in my camelbak.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a heads up guys.

I've been hearing rumors of people being bust for riding illegally in Cecilia forest, the glen and for various other infractions such as swimming in certain dams on TM. I chatted to one of the guys that got bust riding Cecilia last week at Jonkers.

Edit. It was a night ride which I think is illegal there or they were on illegal trails.

The rumor goes that not only do you get a R500 fine but by paying the admission of guilt fine you become the recipient of a criminal record. They apparently use the same legislation that they use to prosecute rhino poachers for this stuff.

With a criminal record you will not get a visa to anywhere in Europe or New Zealand. So that dream trip to Queenstown or the Alps disappears in an instant.

I can't confirm the rumors but that's a chance that is just not worth taking for me. The illegals at Tokai and illegal building probably fall into the same pot.

You have been warned.

*Disclaimer. Yes i agree with you that it's ridiculous that people get mugged on the lower slopes and cars get broken into in the parking lot and yet they focus on us "law abiding" tax paying citizens. But that's an argument for another day.

Correct a criminal record will result in payment of the admission of guilt fine.I have a client/friend who fell foul of the dam ticketing thing. I spoke to the "head"of TMNP security who didn't even understand that his tickets resulted in criminal records. The guy was clueless and his reason for ticketing people for swimming was illogical.

The swimming doesn't really apply to cyclists per se - most people who used the dam in question were just out for a stroll or students smoking weed :-) Happily, the Wynberg Magistrates court refuses to prosecute the tickets ( for now) so if you get one, either for cycling illegally or swimming in the dam, go to court DO NOT PAY THE FINE.

There are serious questions about the legality of TMNP's use of the National Environment Management Act to prosecute alleged transgressors and their own staffs incompetence and lack of understanding of the law is disturbing.

The client/friend I mentioned above was assaulted and robbed on Devils Peak in Feb last year - they got a R60k bike and all his kit. A year later the heroes of the park hand him a ticket for swimming in a frikkin dam...

Hey Tim, this is probably for another thread but I sympathise with your friend's loss and totally understand your frustration at the ticketing for swimming in the dam. What are the chances?! The fact that he is prosecuted by the people who ironically he would have wanted protecting him must leave a very bitter taste.

I would check up on the criminal record thing as riding on the mountain (even at night) is not a criminal offence. It would be a civil case.

I would check up on the criminal record thing as riding on the mountain (even at night) is not a criminal offence. It would be a civil case.

Which is why ppl should go to court instead of paying the fine...

Guest Omega Man

Something to do with the act they charge you under is what i was told.

Anyway there really should be a separate thread for this. I seem t have derailed a thread again. I really do seem to be making a habit of it. Sorry peeps.

If they're issuing the fines in terms of NEMA, there could be a criminal record, as NEMA requirements are punishable with prison time and record.

I suspect that they're using the wrong legislation, hence the reluctance of the courts to prosecute.

So if you get stopped just beat the guy half to death and leave. No criminal record then as they will never find you. .....

Guest Omega Man

Thanks to the folks that pulled in for the build.

We did a bit of filling and drainage on DH3. Thirsty work.

Cape Brewing Company are you listening?

Something to do with the act they charge you under is what i was told.

Anyway there really should be a separate thread for this. I seem t have derailed a thread again. I really do seem to be making a habit of it. Sorry peeps.

No, thanks for posting it here, it might just save us all a lot of trouble. I, for one, will most likely from now on tell Parks that my name is Manus Omega. :D ;)

Just a shout out to Pain or Shine, Bennet, their crews and the build day volunteers for all your hard work on the trails! Much appreciated and hopefully I'll be around for the next build day to help you legends.

Just a shout out to Pain or Shine, Bennet, their crews and the build day volunteers for all your hard work on the trails! Much appreciated and hopefully I'll be around for the next build day to help you legends.

RAD! We are certainly making progress.. Thanks for your words and really hope to see out on the next build, or the next ;)

The work everyone is doing is only possible with public support, and you will see in the near future we will be needing even more help in the form of backing as we get closer to presenting the new vision for the area. The committee has taken to bashing keyboards now to create comprehensive planning and funding documents, coz to play the gov't process and planning game does not come cheap..

Edited by Pain or shine
Sp

...create comprehensive planning and funding documents,

Finally, been necessary for a while now

Edited by Flowta

• 3 months later...

Is Mamba up for any work soon?

I spoke to someone yesterday about it and by all accounts it is taking major strain right now and may end up needing a full rebuild if it isn't looked at soon.