Better quality Hubs?

Neg

ok cool, that does make life much easier! and spares etc are easy and cheap to get for the Hope/Superstar hubs? having imported the Superstars... hope im sure is available?

Im looking at the MAVIC set that Naas suggested, way do they guys say the hubs need more TLC than other hubs??

Yeah very easy. Standard bearing size locally available. As for the other spares, 3 to 4 days away which is often a lot more snappy than local okes can do.

Mavic have a proprietary nipple / spoke architecture which can be a total bitch to service, not to mention the free-hubs which I have heard are a bit weaker than hope / superstar.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't sell breaks. He also doesn't answer questions asking about wheel weight.

He does employ illeism, which should be listed by a thesaurus as a synonym under "arrogance".

Eish... i forgot about that aspect.... the hubs need to be silent.... i really do not like that loud crrrrrrrrrrr every time i freewheel...... :(

Hmmmmm... well, sadly that counts out all the good hubs I know.

But if you change your mind - contact Jason at International Trade who are the agents for Hope. Also agents for Spank and WTB which will be your best bet for rims. He will source spokes etc and build the wheels for you - excellent wheel builder and cheaper than most.

He doesn't sell breaks. He also doesn't answer questions asking about wheel weight.

But as the official agent for Marzocchi it's probably fair to expect him to return emails regarding the order of a fork, yeah?

Guest Omega Man

Eish... i forgot about that aspect.... the hubs need to be silent.... i really do not like that loud crrrrrrrrrrr every time i freewheel...... :(

Then Hope is deff not for you. besides it's doubtful you'd be able to build up ZTR flows on Hope hubs for R4500 anyway. Or R5500 for that matter.

Then Hope is deff not for you. besides it's doubtful you'd be able to build up ZTR flows on Hope hubs for R4500 anyway. Or R5500 for that matter.

I got a quote for Hope Hubs and WTB frequency i23 for R5500. I think thwe WTB's are better rims, with no weight penalty.

Guest Omega Man

I got a quote for Hope Hubs and WTB frequency i23 for R5500. I think thwe WTB's are better rims, with no weight penalty.

Ja. That proves my point. Can't comment on the WTB's. I'm deff a Mavic guy. I had a set of 823's on my dh bike for about 3 years and I never trued them once. If I flatted at tokai I'd just ride down the road on the flat. A truly bomb proof rim.

Guest Omega Man

On the crrrrrr aspect. The superstars are a lot quieter than the hopes, but still make a ticking sound. Not overly loud but still noticeable.

Richard has the Tesla's on his DH bike and in France we would ride down the road from Avoriaz. No one overtook him. And the hubs sounded great. it actually sounded as if I had a puncture. they would just make a psssss noise. Going back I would not have bought the Trizoid hubs. Cos they DON'T sound like Chris King and the Tesla hub sounds just as good IMO.

Edited by Omega Man

Richard has the Tesla's on his DH bike and in France we would ride down the road from Avoriaz. No one overtook him. And the hubs sounded great. it actually sounded as if I had a puncture. they would just make a psssss noise. Going back I would not have bought the Trizoid hubs. Cos they DON'T sound like Chris King and the Tesla hub sounds just as good IMO.

Yeha. I have the Switch Evo's...

Just scanned this thread quickly but has anybody mentioned hope hoops? For GBP 260 from wiggle.co.uk and free shipping, you will end up at around R4600 including 14% tax, unless there is import duties involved, which from what I could gather is not applicable to wheels?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-hoops-pro2-evo-mtb-wheelset/

If however you are not interested in hope hubs, it is moot.

Just scanned this thread quickly but has anybody mentioned hope hoops? For GBP 260 from wiggle.co.uk and free shipping, you will end up at around R4600 including 14% tax, unless there is import duties involved, which from what I could gather is not applicable to wheels?

http://www.wiggle.co...o-mtb-wheelset/

If however you are not interested in hope hubs, it is moot.

That's built on Crests... Which the OP will trash in a second. Good wheels, but not at above 90kg.

Cup and cone bearings should not need the cups replaced unless the hub has been severely abused. I am yet to wear out a set of XT's or XTR's and they've ben through the washing machine a few times. Not sure if Shimano still makes the cups available as a spare part but that was certainly the case for many many years.

I've owned Hope hubs and they do go through bearings. since the bearing cannot be preloaded. Any play in th bearing cannot be adjusted out and its just a downhill spiral of wear from there on.

The reason the DT Swiss 240S and Chris King hubs get good reviews is because of the good labyrinth seals that offer zero drag whilst protecting the bearings from dirt ingress.

A large portion of Shimano dissers also tend to not care for their hubs because they perceive them to be cheap OEM parts. They get jet washed, never get serviced or adjusted and are expected to be sealed for life.

Bling hubs get babied everyday.....

food for thought