Ultra Poormans XX1

Flowta

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I found out the hard way I cant spin fast enough.

I got dropped on the 100 miler on the last 5 km to the finish. downhill with the wind and got 2 minutes taken out of me by my mate with a 40 up front (3 x 10), I only had a 36, 2 minutes in 5 km is a lot.

i am still wondering what the big issue is with 1 x 11/10 vs 2 x or 3 x.

The weight saving is how much, really 200-300g?

i changed my wheels and dropped 1.5kg and that only cost R 4.5k I am sure I can drop even more weight on other components for the cost of the 1 x 11 or even the 1 x 10 upgrade and then I still have all the gears I need.

just thinking...........

My one by eight setup. Cost R1500 for crank, chain, cassete, shifter and deraileur, used a old tourney front der for a guide, and killed a cheap shimano crank so it would shed its big and small ring, (big ring became a usefull bash guard, and WOW. this bike shifted perfectly. Stripped it yesterday after more than a year of thrashing, not a single dropped chain with a R50 guide :D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-I3eoQyDHa2E/USJlyf7iBsI/AAAAAAAAAGc/rW6PY_Z2Rlk/s1600/2013-02-04+09.25.09.jpg

I got dropped on the 100 miler on the last 5 km to the finish. downhill with the wind and got 2 minutes taken out of me by my mate with a 40 up front (3 x 10), I only had a 36, 2 minutes in 5 km is a lot.

i changed my wheels and dropped 1.5kg and that only cost R 4.5k I am sure I can drop even more weight on other components for the cost of the 1 x 11 or even the 1 x 10 upgrade and then I still have all the gears I need.

just thinking...........

Its not about the weight

just thinking...........

Gosh..what wheels were you running to drop 1,5kgs....

My one by eight setup. Cost R1500 for crank, chain, cassete, shifter and deraileur, used a old tourney front der for a guide, and killed a cheap shimano crank so it would shed its big and small ring, (big ring became a usefull bash guard, and WOW. this bike shifted perfectly. Stripped it yesterday after more than a year of thrashing, not a single dropped chain with a R50 guide :D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-I3eoQyDHa2E/USJlyf7iBsI/AAAAAAAAAGc/rW6PY_Z2Rlk/s1600/2013-02-04+09.25.09.jpg

Now take that pie plate off and you're golden...

just thinking...........

1x10 is a compromise in certain situations for sure. However, if you'd had the 1x11 and the 10 tooth that comes with that, you'd have been able to keep up with him. (36/10 is 3.6:1 & 40/11 is 3.636:1)

so yeah. On top speed he would have beaten you. In order to have stayed with him you'd have had to spin 10% faster than him, if you were both on niners or both on sixers. He may of course also have been stronger than you.

Now take that pie plate off and you're golden...

haha shot i rip them off now. much cleaner :)

Anybody ordering that OneUp sprockets, let me know. Will share costs, I WANT ONE!

Ordered mine last night, sorry. Took the 40 with free 16 tooth.....cannot wait. Basically gonna be damn close to new Shimano 2x11. Running a 38/26 up front and rarely shift front currently, only on ugly climbs, suspect the 26 front will be a bail out gear on races....

Anybody ordering that OneUp sprockets, let me know. Will share costs, I WANT ONE!

I've ordered two already ($100 each) and they include a 16t to replace the 15t and 17t , shipping was free and they arrived pretty quickly, paid customs fee at the post office, so all very easy.