Merida vs Trek

2721sim

I am on the lower end of the new bicycle price ladder and have been presented with 2 possible options, the 2013 Merida Ride Lite 91 or the 2013 Trek 1.2. They are both Shimano Sora kitted with the most obvious difference between the 2 being the wheel set. The Merida has an Alex Rim where the Trek has a Bontrager wheel set.

With different discounts being provided on both bicycles they will each cost me around R6,500.00. This is due to a 25% discount on the Trek and 15% on the Merida. The Trek is therefore more expensive nbormally. To all the more serious riders out there I would be interested to know which of the 2 would be higher rated. My heart tells me the Merida, my brain the Trek ...

Trek is by far the better frame. They have way more experience than Merida. However in this fine country of ours, Trek has possibly the worst back up service and support of any brand. At that price point, not too much can go wrong, so I would go with the Trek, I am not too keen on the Merida Fong Kong logo on my bike.

I am on the lower end of the new bicycle price ladder and have been presented with 2 possible options, the 2013 Merida Ride Lite 91 or the 2013 Trek 1.2. They are both Shimano Sora kitted with the most obvious difference between the 2 being the wheel set. The Merida has an Alex Rim where the Trek has a Bontrager wheel set.

With different discounts being provided on both bicycles they will each cost me around R6,500.00. This is due to a 25% discount on the Trek and 15% on the Merida. The Trek is therefore more expensive nbormally. To all the more serious riders out there I would be interested to know which of the 2 would be higher rated. My heart tells me the Merida, my brain the Trek ...

My first road bike was a Trek 1000 with Sora...stay away from it, it's rubbish! Rather go for a secondhand bike at that price. For 7k I got a Cannondale Synapse with Ultegra 10 speed. It was low mileage and with carbon frame, bars, stem, seatpost etc.....

Just my 2 cents worth...

My first road bike was a Trek 1000 with Sora...stay away from it, it's rubbish! Rather go for a secondhand bike at that price. For 7k I got a Cannondale Synapse with Ultegra 10 speed. It was low mileage and with carbon frame, bars, stem, seatpost etc.

Easy decision, if you have to choose between Trek and Merida, choose Cannondale! :thumbup:

My first road bike was a Trek 1000 with Sora...stay away from it, it's rubbish! Rather go for a secondhand bike at that price. For 7k I got a Cannondale Synapse with Ultegra 10 speed. It was low mileage and with carbon frame, bars, stem, seatpost etc.

Easy decision, if you have to choose between Trek and Merida, choose Cannondale! :thumbup:

I had a few Treks, but what I cant believe is my dad has a 3 year old Trek with Ultegra groupset, its a carbon OCLV frame and it weighs 10kg.....It is a size 54! My Cannondale weighs 8,7 and it is a size 58!

Trek is by far the better frame. They have way more experience than Merida. However in this fine country of ours, Trek has possibly the worst back up service and support of any brand. At that price point, not too much can go wrong, so I would go with the Trek, I am not too keen on the Merida Fong Kong logo on my bike.

Merida is one of the four largest manufacturers of bikes and makes 2.5million bikes every year (including every Specialized) They've been building bikes for 40 years so hardly fong kong....

Schalk, jy's nie wel nie ou. Kry hulp

Merida is one of the four largest manufacturers of bikes and makes 2.5million bikes every year (including every Specialized) They've been building bikes for 40 years so hardly fong kong....

Schalk, jy's nie wel nie ou. Kry hulp

I had a few Treks, but what I cant believe is my dad has a 3 year old Trek with Ultegra groupset, its a carbon OCLV frame and it weighs 10kg.....It is a size 54! My Cannondale weighs 8,7 and it is a size 58!

The Trek must have a heavy saddle bag!

Huyndai and Kia build millions of cars a year. Does not mean they are good or that I want one. Whats your point.

Hmmm, en toe niks oor die Specialized fietse nie?

Huyndai and Kia build millions of cars a year. Does not mean they are good or that I want one. Whats your point.

They actually are pretty good. I'm with you on the not wanting one, but you can't just bash a brand's quality because you simply don't like them.

Merida make good quality bikes, probably as good as Trek to be honest.

I have had both Trek and Merida,all the same thing,and all of them had "made in taiwan" stickers on,go with your gut...

Thanks for the replies ...

I guess from the reading, as with most products, in the lower price bracket and with a limited budget it probably comes down to a decision more of an emotional buy than a logical one. I am leaning towards the Trek because of the lifetime warranty on the frame and the Bontrager wheels. I currently have a Cannondale CAD3 with carbon fork and Tiagra components with Alex rims, which is a really nice bike, the only problem being the frame is too big for me at 61 cm.