Mast and Dogs

flymango

And I have known Baboons to kill dogs

If there is a perceived threat on either the dog's or baboon's side them they are likely to attack

Why risk it?

As does yours sir

That's where you are wrong...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have known dogs to kill baboons in Scarborough and Kom

That is why the baboons will attack a dog

There is no law against taking your dogs in areas with baboons

Our ridgebacks have always come with us into the mountains and not been killed by baboons

Your knowledge of baboons seems limited

As PorS said - no law except when parks or local authorities say you cannot take dogs to those sections. Nothing to do with the baboons, and I never said it was.

The majority of baboon / dog encounters would end badly for the dog, that is a fact. The only real dog species that will be able to take on a baboon and have a chance to survive the incident would be the likes of your ridgebacks, boerbuls, staffies, pitbulls, bull terriers and so on. And then it is directly related to the size of the baboon as well. Very few will be able to take on a fully grown alpha male and be expected to survive the encounter.

Cant figure out why some of you think its a issue to have a dog walk without a lead. Maybe if you didnt all ride like fools it wouldnt be a problem.

Correct

See my post below

You lot are not the custodians of Table Mountain National Park

No we are not, you are correct but can you walk your dog in Tokai? The 'law' says no.

That's where you are wrong...

Fair enough, I do not know you or your history.

The point of this thread was dogs being:

1.) in Tokai (not allowed)

and

2.) being off leads (in the case of them being hikers coming across from Constantia Nek, etc. where it is sign posted)

Cant figure out why some of you think its a issue to have a dog walk without a lead. Maybe if you didnt all ride like fools it wouldnt be a problem.

It's not that we have an issue with it, not at all. The issue is that dogs are not allowed in Tokai whether on a lead or not.

Now as for you calling us fools.. like a fool you did not read the thread.

That is not an issue, mine walk without leads where it is "legal" to.

I assume you've "Never" had a dog run up to you (friendly or not) and almost run in front of you or knock you over?

No we are not, you are correct but can you walk your dog in Tokai? The 'law' says no.

We just obey the law and rules as laid down by Sanparks and furthermore use common sense and experience when encountering dogs,baboons,horses,hikers and bikes

For example if we encounter another dog or hiker we put on the lead in good time and wait till they are clear.There are areas you are allowed to have your dog off lead.

We just obey the law and rules as laid down by Sanparks and furthermore use common sense and experience when encountering dogs,baboons,horses,hikers and bikes

For example if we encounter another dog or hiker we put on the lead in good time and wait till they are clear.There are areas you are allowed to have your dog off lead.

And that is how it should be done., thank you.

The problem is a lot don't

I think we missing the point, all kids should be on leads that is where the big danger lies. They act like baboons so blend in very well with the territory. Busy drafting a letter to the applicable authorities right now!!!! :whistling:

So according to the PDF posted dogs have to be on a lead in Silvermine and are not allowed up the slopes at Tokai.

And yet people come in here and start up about riding like fools.

Cool.

And that is how it should be done., thank you.

The problem is a lot don't

The problem is a lot of mtbers don't understand or respect hikers or dogs

They are not appreciative of how fast they are and the suprise factor which does not allow enough time to take action

They are not appreciative of how fast they are and the suprise factor which does not allow enough time to take action

I agree. Another reason not to bring your dog to Tokai.. but you see that is your argument in reverse. A lot of dog walkers and horse riders flaunt the rules and place themselves and "pets" in unnecessary danger.

That is very true, I see this often.

The thing is (and the point of this thread) that when riding in Tokai (incl. to the mast) you don't expect dogs.

Hikers are predictable, dogs not so much.

Up here in P-town we are dodging bullets (literally) finding (relatively) safe routes to ride, not knowing if our next ride might be our last...and the folk from across the Boerewors Gordyn are at each other's throats about baboons, leads and MTB-canine etiquette.

This is an entertaining thread.

Up here in P-town we are dodging bullets (literally) finding (relatively) safe routes to ride, not knowing if our next ride might be our last...and the folk from across the Boerewors Gordyn are at each other's throats about baboons, leads and MTB-canine etiquette.

This is an entertaining thread.

Dude I feel for you, but when a problem exists, we cannot discuss it for fear that others in different parts of the world may be experiencing something worse?

If that's the case, I'll never say I am hungry again because I know zanu-pf has killed or chased out all their farmers!