Replacing brake pads on Elixir 7 brakes

malcolmt

Anyone ever successfully replaced a set of brake pads in an Elixir 7 caliper?

Apparently all you do is push the pistons back into the housing with the old pads in place and then insert the new pads. Yeah right. Like that's going to happen. Right after the cow jumped over the moon. After sukkling for an hour I finally had to concede defeat. This is the 3rd time I replace the pads and each time I have had to take the bike into my LBS and they have fitted the pads after draining oil/rebleeding and the whole nine yards. Give me Shimano brakes any day.

Ja, if you can get the pistons back it would be easy. This set of calipers has already been replaced under warranty for this problem, but it still persists.

Ja, if you can get the pistons back it would be easy. This set of calipers has already been replaced under warranty for this problem, but it still persists.

also battle to get the pistons back.

Sounds like too much fluid in the system. Avids are a pig to bleed, take them to someone who can do it properly.

Sounds like too much fluid in the system. Avids are a pig to bleed, take them to someone who can do it properly.

Yea maybe the value pack....5 bleeds for the price of 4, you are going to need them

Hat, coat, hold the door

also battle to get the pistons back.

what are you using to get the pistons back? Not saying that's the fault, just curious.

I have done it on mine...

Firstly take the old pads out, now take an old toothbrush and the exposed part othe pistons VERY well!!!

Also use a wrag to get all the old dust etc of the pistons.

Now to push them back, and here is were the problem normally comes in, if you have or your LBS has bleed the brakes with the pads being halflive or more, it is "almost" lilke there is too much fluid in the system and no place for it to go.

Therefor I redo the bleeding....so I open the lever and attach the syringe with the Dot x fluid...now I put the pads back in and use a flat screw driver to push the pads back, soometimes you need to pull the lever......

Once you have pushed the pads back, place the RED plastic bleedblock and bleed as per instructions....

Now once you have done the bleed and the put the new pads in you good to go....when you need to replace the pads, you can just push the piston back and replace the pads after cleaning.

Mmm, I will probably bleed if I try and bleed them myself...

Watched the mechanic at the LBS doing this and he was battling - with all the right tools for bleeding, which I don't have.

But it is as you say Mr Smimby - the pistons don't move when using the large flat screwdriver/old pads as the video (and pamphlet supplied with the pads) say they should - almost like there is too much fluid with no place to go. This is exactly the problem . What is your recommendation regarding tools to bleed the system?

Watched the mechanic at the LBS doing this and he was battling - with all the right tools for bleeding, which I don't have.

But it is as you say Mr Smimby - the pistons don't move when using the large flat screwdriver/old pads as the video (and pamphlet supplied with the pads) say they should - almost like there is too much fluid with no place to go. This is exactly the problem . What is your recommendation regarding tools to bleed the system?

I spent the money and got a Avid bleed kit, because that fuild is "corrosive" and you dont want it anywhere on your bike.

You could always open the bleed port on the lever and then push the piston back, while using a syringe to suck any fluid up from the lever, with a wrag under the lever so you can stop it from splilling out....

On my Elixir 3's i just used two syringes, some clear piping and a couple of connectors (rainbird spray head things) to make my kit. Wasnt that hard to bleed them and thankfully I didnt buy a bleed kit at R400+ as a week or so later my bike was scrapped and the new bike has Shimano brakes!