STAN'S NoTubes ZTR Crest 29er performance

BarHugger

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not the rims that has the weight limit BUT ztr WHEELS.

that means if you get the whole wheel from ZTR. Ie their hubs and spokes that they use to build the wheel

I Am running Hope hubs with straight heavy duty spokes and crest rims. I used to put 105+kg on them without any issue.

Take a look at the cross section of the rims http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Rims-C18.aspx

Then you will see why they have a weight limit of 190lbs (86kgs), there is no internal support for a greater weight. As can be seen in the Arch and Flow.

Also Crests are only recommended for XC, so once you start doing more technical all mountain type trails, you should be looking at Arch or Flow. The table shown is pretty straight forward.

The Pyga I'm riding now came with a set of Crests on Hope. I bought it off a mate of mine who first had the wheels on his Rocky Mountain then on the Pyga so they're probably 2+ years old....he is well over 90kg's and rides through and over rather than around things and barring one ding on the back they are 100% and have seen PLENTY mileage...several stage races etc. I'm over 90 as well and have had no hassles and I certainly don't baby my bike or my wheels...mostly singletrack, G-spot etc...very little dirt roady-ing. Depends largely on your riding style as well....whilst swapping them out is probably the right thing to do I certainly would not lie awake at night concerned that they are going to collapse the first time you throw your leg over the saddle.

(That said I have a set of Arch's hanging in the garage waiting to be built onto the Hopes when I DO finally trash them Crests....)

Oh ya and a well built wheel using a Crest is going to be a lot less prone to picking up a buckle or a wobble than a poorly tensioned Arch EX for that matter.

Edited by TYGA

I am 78kg, and in the 1 year I had my Crest 29er wheels, I had to have them trued probably 3/4 times. I am definitely not an aggressive trail rider, but what I have found is that the wheels do not like bumpy rocky rides or being airborne...

The Arches are a better bet IMHO for trail riding.

If you plan to do XC mostly with some technical stuff, there is not a better wheel than the Crest out there, again IMHO.

Edited by dee_biker

2 x Sani2c, 2 x mankele 3 towers, 1 Joberg2C...training for all them, not a day's worth of troubles. 90kg

2 x Sani2c, 2 x mankele 3 towers, 1 Joberg2C...training for all them, not a day's worth of troubles. 90kg

Likewise no issues, had mine for 12 months, done Sani on them , even the Rocky Magalies monster. I am 86kg. Wheelset built with the Stans 330 hubs.

I weigh 77kg...I always buckle my crest wheel, no matter what, after every MTB ride in the Tygerberg area then I get home with my rear wheel buckled...it is kind of irritating though. I would say put a Flow/Arch on the rear and crest in the front. I run Crest front to back and only have problems wth the rear.

Likewise no issues, had mine for 12 months, done Sani on them , even the Rocky Magalies monster. I am 86kg. Wheelset built with the Stans 330 hubs.

Yea not even counting the multiple hard 1 day classics(monster and van gaalens) I have ridden and training rides at Van Gaalens...mine is built on hope pro 2 evo's

Yea not even counting the multiple hard 1 day classics(monster and van gaalens) I have ridden and training rides at Van Gaalens...mine is built on hope pro 2 evo's

You ride Crests?? Shows you how observant I am. Think my AC's have more dings than your Crests but youre in skillzzz league.

Agreed, quite surprised to see how many oaks have issues with them in this thread... I went for them over the AC race, seen a few of them buckle and ding

You ride Crests?? Shows you how observant I am. Think my AC's have more dings than your Crests but youre in skillzzz league.

Crests are ok...but you need to make sure your tyres are hard enough....i had a bad experience but i was running 1.6 bar on the back which wasnt enough

People underestimate the effect that riding style has on wheels.

A 90kg rider who is "smooth" will happily ride a wheelset designed for an 80kg rider.

It's something all riders should learn - be one with the bike and ride the trail rather than pedalling like a moegoe and letting the bike take all the hits.

"Riding" the course (like pump tracks) also gets you free speed and saves your legs a bit. Technicals sections are much easier when you roll the lips and work the drops.

Other than wheels - it saves frames, shocks etc.

It better all round to be that smooth rider you always see disappearing into the single track sections...

Easier said than done of course but something that should always be at the back of our minds.

Edited by Eldron

Clearly I don't ride technical trails.... 96kg riding crest rims for 2.5 years on a HT without any issues.

94 kgs

Pyga came standard with them

I'm not the best technical rider, walked down that silly rocky descent at VG's (dont like going over handle bars again)

Otherwise reasonably fast and enjoy rough sections.

Run 2.5 bar on tyres for anywhere there are rocks, otherwise the rims will hit the rocks

I take the punishment on handling and traction with a higher pressure

No problems on trueing or other problems

Guess the question is "How aggressive are you for your weight?"

People underestimate the effect that riding style has on wheels.

A 90kg rider who is "smooth" will happily ride a wheelset designed for an 80kg rider.

It's something all riders should learn - be one with the bike and ride the trail rather than pedalling like a moegoe and letting the bike take all the hits.

"Riding" the course (like pump tracks) also gets you free speed and saves your legs a bit. Technicals sections are much easier when you roll the lips and work the drops.

Other than wheels - it saves frames, shocks etc.

It better all round to be that smooth rider you always see disappearing into the single track sections...

Easier said than done of course but something that should always be at the back of our minds.

Smooth criminal....teeee heeeee....chamon!

Going to one of skillzz's workshop soon.