Motul Oil on bicycle chain

janneman72

I ran out of my Purple Extreme oil and being a motorcyclist like many other MTB'ers I decided to lube with Motul Oil before my ride this afternoon.

Any real technical/chemical feedback about Motul Oil on bicycle chains as I just figured if it can work on a motorcycles' chain it must work on a MTB?

I will test it out today and provide feedback when I get back, maybe it will become the new "thing" :-)

I ran out of my Purple Extreme oil and being a motorcyclist like many other MTB'ers I decided to lube with Motul Oil before my ride this afternoon.

Any real technical/chemical feedback about Motul Oil on bicycle chains as I just figured if it can work on a motorcycles' chain it must work on a MTB?

I will test it out today and provide feedback when I get back, maybe it will become the new "thing" :-)

I use a little bit of Magnatec which I use in my car, it does exactly the same as purple extreme and essentially costs me nothing because its leftovers.

Ill never buy a bottle of lube again, waste of cash when normal engine oil does the same thing.

Then there is squirt which is good for squirting on the floor, far away from your MTB chain. I cant even conjure up a thankyou if someone offers it to me.

I use a little bit of Magnatec which I use in my car, it does exactly the same as purple extreme and essentially costs me nothing because its leftovers.

Ill never buy a bottle of lube again, waste of cash when normal engine oil does the same thing.

Then there is squirt which is good for squirting on the floor, far away from your MTB chain. I cant even conjure up a thankyou if someone offers it to me.

whahahahha skillz, you have a way with words :clap:

I don't know about regular oil... but surely you have something you use for your motobike (or do you ride one of those fat BMWs).

I use this on my MTB chains

http://www.motorcycle-parts.biz/media/catalog/product/cache/9/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/o/motul_chain_lube_c3.jpg

Ever since I did the yellow saddle maintenance course I only use the same oil that goes into the engine of my Suzuki. As soon as I use up the chain spray both 'zooks will get the same. Cleaner and smoother and if it can handle the engine heat it will handle anything.

Edited by slowpoke

@patches Thats exactly what I used today and it works better than purple extreme based on a quick "review". The chain makes less noise so there is probably less friction?!?! Due to the canister I think it also gets more "into" the chain. Perhaps not as environmental friendly as that Epic lube but my chain doesn't drip all over the show while riding in nature?!?! Will try it out some more :-)

@chukky, I had to use squirt at one mtb race at the water point when we ran out of lube in the rain and squirt sucks big time, it even stains your frame if you ride too long in the sun.

Thats for the replies guys, I will see how it goes and will let you all know, so far so good!

Haven't yet found the reason why bicycle lube costs R900 a litre, no gold flakes in there or any NASA ultra grade technologies , just good old snake oil!

They say automatic transmission fluid is also a good bet, nice at R39 500ml

Chainsaw oil. Its good enough for a chain with sharp teeth that cuts into wood, its good enough for a bit of mud.

That said - a chainsaw uses a hell of a lot of oil compared to a mtb

I bought that Motul especially for my MTB. It says it lubricates well. Should last longer on an MTB chain (as it rotates a lot slower) and it doesn't pick up dirt (something I have cound with other oils and lubes... dust magnets).

So far that Motul C3 has been the best thing I've used on my chains. Not the cheapest though.

If one wants good value for money, got to bearing man and buy some stuff called Go Fast. It is used on industrial chain drives. I think it's about R120 for 500ml. I may be wrong, Peach knows though.

As we have agreed before... that stuff is hondnaai

you being very kind....another word that comes to mind....hoer-van-gam. Say it in your best dutchie accent, roll the r and gargle the g...

you being very kind....another word that comes to mind....hoer-van-gam. Say it in your best dutchie accent, roll the r and gargle the g...

Eks mos n soutie, ek kan nie mooi afrikaans praat nie, maar ek probeer

Edited by ChUkKy