Steilte Trails

Guest Omega Man

This thread has gone quiet for a while but I spoke to Jan on the weekend and there are some SUPER exiting developments happening.

Jan, Jonty Neethling, Andrew Neethling and 2 local business men have formed a cc around the Steilte trails. Jonty is going to be employed as a full time trail builder. Andrew is going to be lending his reputation towards the project and the 2 business men are helping out with money and negotiating land access with the local farmers.

They are busy cutting new lines at the moment and as soon the sprinklers get turned on Jonty will start building features. The idea is that in addition to the current DH track there will be another 2 DH lines. One will be an A Liine style track with loads and loads of tables and sculpted berms. The other DH will be an Andrew Neethling "signature" dh track. Rough and Gnarly. There will also be multiple enduro lines and 2 short xc loops of 10km and 20km. There are also plans for a skills park with jumps, drops and ladder bridges.

The planned opening of the park is November. So I wouldn't go out and buy that HT 29er just yet. It's definitely an exiting time to be a mountain biker in the Cape.

Dare I use the words? Bike Park!

This I can vouch for as the one 'business man' is a close friend of mine.

He is sure enjoying my PYGA OneTen DEMO build;)

Thanks for all the great updates Omega Man.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

November is a good time, I hopefully will be fully recovered and well on my way to being mtb jump, trail, DH stoked again. I cant wait :drool:

This thread has gone quiet for a while but I spoke to Jan on the weekend and there are some SUPER exiting developments happening.

Jan, Jonty Neethling, Andrew Neethling and 2 local business men have formed a cc around the Steilte trails. Jonty is going to be employed as a full time trail builder. Andrew is going to be lending his reputation towards the project and the 2 business men are helping out with money and negotiating land access with the local farmers.

They are busy cutting new lines at the moment and as soon the sprinklers get turned on Jonty will start building features. The idea is that in addition to the current DH track there will be another 2 DH lines. One will be an A Liine style track with loads and loads of tables and sculpted berms. The other DH will be an Andrew Neethling "signature" dh track. Rough and Gnarly. There will also be multiple enduro lines and 2 short xc loops of 10km and 20km. There are also plans for a skills park with jumps, drops and ladder bridges.

The planned opening of the park is November. So I wouldn't go out and buy that HT 29er just yet. It's definitely an exiting time to be a mountain biker in the Cape.

Dare I use the words? Bike Park!

So what we are getting is a dedicated area where youngsters can come and hone their skills before getting to an age where they can compete on an international level .... by honing these skills these youngsters can then actually have a good base to start on when competing later.

I LIKE!

Then for the rest of us mortals we can also develop our skill set and get to play on a decent AM trail.

:)

This is going to be a very interesting one to watch!

Guest Omega Man

Soon my "Is it July yet!?" nagging will be replaced with "Is it November yet!?".

If I know Jan it will be more like August or September.

If I know Jan it will be more like August or September.

LOL. He told me last week that he IS going to wait for the rain, and only open them after the rain has ended and everything's firm and in place. He said that he would wait...

But - if he finishes early (and I know Jan is moer of a keen) then who says he won't do it early?

Guest Omega Man

Rode Steilte yesterday.

Damn I forgot how much fun it is riding that place. The big jumps at the bottom are perfectly shaped. It's just so much fun riding there. My nice shiny brand new Ranger is now somewhat less brand new tho.

A word to the wise tho. If I invite you to come ride as a first timer rather go with someone else. Every time I've taken a first timer out there they've ended up doing some cranial track maintenance.

Sorry Johno.

Edited by Omega Man

Rode Steilte yesterday.

Damn I forgot how much fun it is riding that place. The big jumps at the bottom are perfectly shaped. It's just so much fun riding there. My nice shiny brand new Ranger is now somewhat less brand new tho.

A word to the wise tho. If I invite you to come ride as a first timer rather go with someone else. Every time I've taken a first timer out there they've ended up doing some cranial track maintenance.

Sorry Johno.

Ok, what happened this time? Johno, I'm leading a class suit against OM of you'd like to join in...

Rode Steilte yesterday.

Sorry Johno.

Ok, what happened this time? Johno, I'm leading a class suit against OM of you'd like to join in...

Guest Omega Man

Haha. Lucky for me he won't be able to help you cos he landed on his head and can't remember anything.