R3500 budget best buy opinions please

Cornel Brown

Good day all...

I am looking at buying a hardtail MTB for my wife. She will ride occasionally, and almost exclusively with our children so she wont be doing extreme downhills and singletrack or a fast bike that climbs well????. I however want to buy her the best bike our budget of R3500 allows....

So far I've considered:

2nd hand..

Raleigh Nomad 40

Merida Matts 40

New:

Scott Apect 680

Axis A70 & A90

Avalanche ATX 250

Giant Revel4

Silverback Stride 20

The problem with the Nomad is that the frame (large) might be to big for her - it si 21' and she is 1,76m tall...

The problem with the Merida is that the deal sounds almost to good to be true and the bike is in PE, me in JHB and on gumtree - would you advise to EFT money to a person you never met and hope to receive a dreambike by post a week later?

All and any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Cornel

For R3500 you can get decent bike 2nd hand, R3500 for that merida is not that good deal. Had a look at its specs, would get better than that 2nd hand. My brother sold his morewood kwela, with Fox shock,sram x9 and AMC tubeless wheels for R4000.

Main thing with second hand market is to wait, for the good deals. especially in the 26" wheels segment. 21" bike will be to big.

As for EFT, I keep it to hub members, gumtree is a bit of a gamble and postage on complete bike is round R600, which could be used for getting better bike.

Thank you for the reply so far...

There is a new post on classifieds for a Silverback Alpine for R3000....

Is this a better deal than any of the above?

+1, look at a decent 2nd hand 26" wheel mountain bike - Fantastic deals to be had at the moment.

Ok, it seems like the new bike from a bike shop idea is a bad one... So i'm still looking for 2nd hand...

Opinions requested on...

Silverback Alpine for R3000?

2011 GT Avalanche for R3500?

Frontrunner at the moment is a new bike offered by what seems to be a trustworthy hubber, but still waiting to confirm specs.... So just asking opinions on the above so far - thank you....

Just remember that if you buy new you will have a years warranty on parts (subject to the usual wear and tear BS though!) as well as whatever warranty on the manufacturers frame (3-5 years etc).

But if you have a good eye for mechanical detail and cycling knowledge then 2nd hand is a good option.

I have a GT Avalanche 1 and so does the wife, I like these bikes but it also depends on what parts are on the frame.

i have a merida tfs 300 2013 model 16" with about 120 km on it. o yes 26 er. was my wifes bike but she took my old one when i got my new bike this year. i am in johannesburg. pm we if you qant to chat. lloking for R4000

Hi...

I am in PE and if you want, I can check out the Merida and verify it's existance for you.

To be honest though, considering what your wife is intending to do on a bike, I would rather buy new. It will (hopefully) be set up properly and she will probably feel much prouder (happier) riding something nice and shinny rather than a scratched second hand one. She probably doesn't care (or even know the difference) about the higher specs on a second hand one.

You will also have the peace of mind knowing the new bike will come with a warranty. There is also a risk buying second hand that there is a "hidden" damage on it that will manefest itself after she has ridden for 2 months.

Hi...

I am in PE and if you want, I can check out the Merida and verify it's existance for you.

To be honest though, considering what your wife is intending to do on a bike, I would rather buy new. It will (hopefully) be set up properly and she will probably feel much prouder (happier) riding something nice and shinny rather than a scratched second hand one. She probably doesn't care (or even know the difference) about the higher specs on a second hand one.

You will also have the peace of mind knowing the new bike will come with a warranty. There is also a risk buying second hand that there is a "hidden" damage on it that will manefest itself after she has ridden for 2 months.

Hi, thank you for your offer to help and for your advice...

I am still undecided on the 2nd hand vs new choice but think I will let the Merida go...

i have a merida tfs 300 2013 model 16" with about 120 km on it. o yes 26 er. was my wifes bike but she took my old one when i got my new bike this year. i am in johannesburg. pm we if you qant to chat. lloking for R4000

Wow nice bike and nice offer.... But unfortunately the 16" frame is to small.... She needs a 19"...