Classifieds safety: Suggestions and Feedback

Matt

For new persons registering, obtain their ip address. When creating the add maybe log the ip address again. Sure technology has the means to track such a person when the ip address has been capturred.

This is already in place

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could implement a 'Seller's reputation thread'

This has been hugely successful in the Paintball Africa Forum and is really a great help.

Buyers give sellers a +1 if they are happy with dealings, -1 for bad dealings. Unfortunately it takes a mod to manually update this list unless someone has an automated way of giving ratings.

iTrader helps alot aswell, but on the PBA forum I usually reference the Seller's Reputation Thread before buying anything. And if the person you're buying from isn't on the list? Well, do what intuition tells you and if they're good then give them a +1 to be added to the list for future hubbers safe dealings. If they're bad, try sort it out and if that doesn't work then name and shame on the official thread.

Could implement a 'Seller's reputation thread'

This has been hugely successful in the Paintball Africa Forum and is really a great help.

Buyers give sellers a +1 if they are happy with dealings, -1 for bad dealings. Unfortunately it takes a mod to manually update this list unless someone has an automated way of giving ratings.

iTrader helps alot aswell, but on the PBA forum I usually reference the Seller's Reputation Thread before buying anything. And if the person you're buying from isn't on the list? Well, do what intuition tells you and if they're good then give them a +1 to be added to the list for future hubbers safe dealings. If they're bad, try sort it out and if that doesn't work then name and shame on the official thread.

Already have that, but not everyone uses it.

It should be down to the seller/buyer to ensure his/her own saftey, not the Hub.

If you are selling (or buying for that matter) ensure you do not do so alone. Take someone with. Ensure that you meet in a public area, like a shopping mall or even a cop shop parking lot. And refrain from carrying large amounts of cash money...

One of the main problems is that when you purchase somthing, be it here, gumtree, cape ads etc, most people tend to go alone. This shouldnt be done. Safety in numbers, I have bought alot of second hand parts and I always make sure I have someone with me, otherwise meet at the police station, nothing wrong with that, and if the seller refuses then somthing is fishy.

Already have that, but not everyone uses it.

i didnt even know it was there :blush: and lets nor forget posts like this

"this morning i done a eft at 9;00 and and its 9;20 still have not got my tracking number"

NO HUBBERS WILL ESCAPE STUPIDITY

I also agree with a new member should have a minimum post count before somthing can be advertised, this is done on a number of other forums.

One of the main problems is that when you purchase somthing, be it here, gumtree, cape ads etc, most people tend to go alone. This shouldnt be done. Safety in numbers, I have bought alot of second hand parts and I always make sure I have someone with me, otherwise meet at the police station, nothing wrong with that, and if the seller refuses then somthing is fishy.

great minds think alike....

THE NUMBER OF POST THING DOES HOLD WATER look at the "hubbers" who attack LBS or come on just to make a issue about something, one post wonders, how many classifieds are on single digit posts, i dont even open them, yes you can get a few posts quick, but i always check out "hubbers" i will even send stuff prior to receiving payment if i have had a chat previously to them,,,its not 100% fool proof but there are many regular posters i would have no issue with releasing goods to without payment.

to me LOW POST i wont even phone(yes its possible i have lost a bargain or 2 but i havent lost any money)

It should be down to the seller/buyer to ensure his/her own saftey, not the Hub.

If you are selling (or buying for that matter) ensure you do not do so alone. Take someone with. Ensure that you meet in a public area, like a shopping mall or even a cop shop parking lot. And refrain from carrying large amounts of cash money...

agree with this 100%. there's not much a website can do to protect someone if caution is not taken.

the best thing to do is hide the adverts from search engines (is this doable? ) so that anyone wanting to trawl for targets won't find their way to the hub. If they do, then it's up to the buyer / seller to exercise caution.

if you're dealing with a stranger with only a mobile number or a free email address - already be aware.

ID copies, bank statements can be faked.

1. trust noone unless you know them personally.

2. if it sounds too good to be true...

if other regular hubbers have dealt with someone, I will consider that a "i vouch for this guy/girl" - the fact that duplicate accounts is already been shut down and dealt with is a move in the right direction.

terrible that we have to go to some of these lengths, i have had many deals buying and selling local and up country all going very smoothly, have met some cool people had a good old chat about bikes and stuff in the process, hate to start suspecting everyone of being dodge.

One purchase sticks out in mind, was a bit of a drive went a long to his house, saw the item liked and he let me take it home without payment so I can make a EFT to save me from driving back, lots of trust and ended up being a really pleasant experience. I know its the exception.

I think a thehubsa hit squad can work. We could place a rocket inside the seatpost tube, or just simply hunt the bastards down. There's enough decent hubbers spread over the country, we can sort these buggers out quick quick.

If only there was a way to enforce the ratings system.

When goods are sold or bought the seller or buyer are very seldom rated.

Don't know how this would be enforced though.

As a small internet ecommerce site I would have a few suggestions that I would like to see implemented which not everyone would maybe agree with, but I think would help.

From our point of view we get asked daily 'do you have a shop' to which we always have to reply 'no'. Our reasons for going ecommerce were numerous. We have had shops in malls before, Lakeside Mall, Benoni and Park Meadows in Edenvale. We got sick and tired of the yearly rent increases which never stopped, labour laws, shoplifting, theft by empoyees etc etc etc.

Being ecommerce has opened us up to fraud and we have lost some stock this year, but this has now been largely stopped due to the change in OTP's for credit card purchases etc.

We realise that we do lose a lot of business due to not having a physical shop but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. In order to facilitate some people who live locally we do meet clients in Blouberg so they can either save on postage or see the goods before they part with any cash.

We always do this in a public place and never at our premises, purely for our safety.

However, i think there are maybe a couple of improvements that could be made to the Hub:

The rating system for buyers and sellers could be far easier to manage (I believe this is going to be looked at)

Hubbers could voluntarily become verified users by supplying Admin with a copy of ID and proof of address (not older than 3 months), this is already done on Bid or Buy and buyers take you far more seriously.

Admin may be able to run an Escrow service where payment is made to them and only released to the seller once the buyer confirms they have received their goods, like Alibaba does. I'm sure Admin could charge a small percentage fee for people choosing this service as an option.

And lastly, why aren't real names in the members profiles mandatory? (Flame suit and extinguisher standing by :ph34r: )

Need some sort of middle man for cash , you decide to meet someone to sell your goods, they deposit cash into middle man, ,once deal is done they release cash to seller. Shows up front as a buyer that you are actually interested and have the cash to complete the deal. Protects both parties if something goes wrong. I reckon most people would be willing to pay for this service, not limited to here either as local computer and remote control forums seem to be having the same problem with classifieds.

As a small internet ecommerce site I would have a few suggestions that I would like to see implemented which not everyone would maybe agree with, but I think would help.

From our point of view we get asked daily 'do you have a shop' to which we always have to reply 'no'. Our reasons for going ecommerce were numerous. We have had shops in malls before, Lakeside Mall, Benoni and Park Meadows in Edenvale. We got sick and tired of the yearly rent increases which never stopped, labour laws, shoplifting, theft by empoyees etc etc etc.

Being ecommerce has opened us up to fraud and we have lost some stock this year, but this has now been largely stopped due to the change in OTP's for credit card purchases etc.

We realise that we do lose a lot of business due to not having a physical shop but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. In order to facilitate some people who live locally we do meet clients in Blouberg so they can either save on postage or see the goods before they part with any cash.

We always do this in a public place and never at our premises, purely for our safety.

However, i think there are maybe a couple of improvements that could be made to the Hub:

The rating system for buyers and sellers could be far easier to manage (I believe this is going to be looked at)

Hubbers could voluntarily become verified users by supplying Admin with a copy of ID and proof of address (not older than 3 months), this is already done on Bid or Buy and buyers take you far more seriously.

Admin may be able to run an Escrow service where payment is made to them and only released to the seller once the buyer confirms they have received their goods, like Alibaba does. I'm sure Admin could charge a small percentage fee for people choosing this service as an option.

And lastly, why aren't real names in the members profiles mandatory? (Flame suit and extinguisher standing by :ph34r: )

SAYS THE MAN WITH NO NAME "ON PROFILE" STEPHEN :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Archived