Which Anthem 29er to get?!?

jdvisagie

Which Anthem?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which Anthem 29er?

• Anthem X Advanced (Carbon/XT/Wheels)
    • Anthem X (Alloy/SLX)

Ok guys,

So I'm sitting with a major first world problem here, I might not survive this....

Keen on getting a Giant Anthem but don't know which one to get... I have a contact where I can get Giant's at an excellent price. So not really considering other brands at the moment.

Hard time to decide if I should go Anthem X1 or Anthem X Advanced 1....

Anthem X 1 (SLX/Alu)

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/anthem.x.29er.1/14826/66148/

Anthem X Advanced 1 (XT/Carbon/Better Wheels)

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/anthem.x.advanced.29er.1/14825/66150/

Both bikes have the same Fox CTD suspension...

Price difference around R12 000 for the XT/Carbon/Wheels upgrade... Worth the extra cash?

I'm no racing snake, and earn a "normal" salary. But looking to keep this bike for a few years. Do I bust the bank now and enjoy for years to come? Or keep cool and buy better value? Have some cash for nice wheelset as well then?

What do you think?

post-4658-0-70300900-1381482785_thumb.jpg

post-4658-0-93977400-1381482804_thumb.jpg

loving my 2013 Advanced!

I think the R12k is worth it to have the better wheel set and full XT.

Also check if you can get one of the last of the 2013 models. I think the only difference is the Fox CTD vs the Rock Shox.

I have no complaints about the RS setup and its easy enough to lock out both on the longer smooth climbs or short bits of tar.

A month ago there were some very good deals available on the 2013 Advanced

get both. I'll buy the cheaper one off you at your 'excellent' price :clap:

Seriously though, if you go X1 you'll always be wanting/thinking about upgrading the various parts.

So go Advanced and get your mind set right that you won't upgrade (much) going forward.

If you are a 'normal' Hubber, you'll have spent the R12k difference on upgrades before the years end :devil:

get the x1 uprgrade the wheels to ztr arch then already you are almost on par with the weight, and still have 8000 in the pocket

What he said. Pocket the 12k difference, spend some of it on a superb set of wheels (even the "upgraded" wheels on the advanced aren't THAT great) and the SLX bits are bomb-proof. Surely on par with XT, and actually better looking imho.

The only other difference is that you have slightly more adjustability on the Performance fork and shock, but only just. If it were me, I'd get the Anthem X1, buy a new wheelset with the difference, flog the FOX and go for a RS Reba / Revelation with the cash you make from the Fox - you will come out even from that transaction as the Foxes generally fetch a higher resale price than an equivalent RS fork (read - they're over-priced forks)

You;ll have a KILLER bike for far less.

Forget about the difference in weight and quality of the wheels, the difference between the two bikes is in the frame.

The carbon frame may weight only 200 gram less but it's ride is better.

My first Giant was a alu Anthem, replaced it with an Advanced a year later and have never regretted the decision.

I would not consider ZTR wheels, rather wait awhile, save your money and get Mavic SLR's

Forget about the difference in weight and quality of the wheels, the difference between the two bikes is in the frame.

My first Giant was a alu Anthem, replaced it with an Advanced a year later and have never regretted the decision.

I would not consider ZTR wheels, rather wait awhile, save your money and get Mavic SLR's

Why not? ZTR Arch EX paired with Hope pro 2 / Superstar Switch Evo / Trizoid is one of the best combos you can get...

That or WTB Frequency i23's with the same hubs. Beats a proprietary wheel any day.

Why not? ZTR Arch EX paired with Hope pro 2 / Superstar Switch Evo / Trizoid is one of the best combos you can get...

That or WTB Frequency i23's with the same hubs. Beats a proprietary wheel any day.

Based on what does it beat a proprietary wheel?

I don't think these wheels are tubeless, so another conversion to get on par with the Mavic's.

The only downside to the Mavic's is it's price, but then you get what you pay for

The only reason you should consider going up to the ADVANCED is for the frame. That alone. The 12k in my opinion isn't worth it for the carbonality of the advanced, but that's just my opinion. Yes, you may have a better ride from the carbon - but at (most of) our levels, we're not attuned enough to notice the difference in frame materials.

That's why I say (for me, at least) the difference of R 12k isn't worth it.

I stick with what I said before. With one addition - with the rest of the remaining funds, buy a dropper post. Yes, the Anthem is an "xc" bike - but I tell you right now, the dropper will make FAR more difference to your ridign and your enjoyment of the bike than a change in frame material. And you'll still come back from the bank smiling.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

get the x1 uprgrade the wheels to ztr arch then already you are almost on par with the weight, and still have 8000 in the pocket

What he said. Pocket the 12k difference, spend some of it on a superb set of wheels (even the "upgraded" wheels on the advanced aren't THAT great) and the SLX bits are bomb-proof. Surely on par with XT, and actually better looking imho.

The only other difference is that you have slightly more adjustability on the Performance fork and shock, but only just. If it were me, I'd get the Anthem X1, buy a new wheelset with the difference, flog the FOX and go for a RS Reba / Revelation with the cash you make from the Fox - you will come out even from that transaction as the Foxes generally fetch a higher resale price than an equivalent RS fork (read - they're over-priced forks)

You;ll have a KILLER bike for far less.

True story :thumbup:

Then have an issue with your SLR's and discover what monkeys the local agents are when it comes to any after sales service on Mavic wheels.