Can you cycle on the highway?

Khronis

This is Africa, plenty isnt allowed but its done anyways.... nobody enforces it.

If its not within a 5km range of a KFC, there will be no enforcement nearby

Darwin does, from time to time, like the old joke says:

What do you get when you cross a highway with a bicycle?

Flattened!

:stupid:

N4 Bakwena (platinum highway) is filled with cyclists every weekend

That was always a cool race.. Pity the Feds caved in to public pressure, or whatever killed the race.

If you break the law your insurance, life, medical an all risk may not just not pay out. If you survive you will be bankrupt. If you die you leave your family with nothing. Make your own choice.

If you break the law your insurance, life, medical an all risk may not just not pay out. If you survive you will be bankrupt. If you die you leave your family with nothing. Make your own choice.

I will not give the definition of a freeway. It has been given over and over or look it up.

My 2c worth, Highways you are not allowed to cycle on is when the road is 2 different lanes, one up and one down with a island seperating them. Here in Mosselbay you are allowed on the N2 direction Cape Town because it's only 2 lanes going up and down, but highway from Mosselbay towards George is double which you are not allowed to cycle on.

I guess the OP's question is tounge in cheek?

If you can drive a bakkie piled 3m high with boxes of fruit and veg, dragging its ass along the road

If you can drive a bakkie or truck with a dozen people clinging on in the back

If you can actually stand on the side of a highway and wait for a bus or taxi

and conversely if a bus or taxi routinely stops to pick you up from the side of the highway

If trucks regularly do U Turns accross the grassy central reservation

If people see the back of a traffic jam and turn around to drive UP on on-ramp of a freeway, against the traffic

then cycling is probably not a big problem :-)

Nope. Not true. Only exclusion like that is on disability benefits, where you will have to be involved in criminal (read theft / murder etc) in order to have a denial of payment on disability. Traffic violations do not count. Only when you are drunk behind the wheel do SOME (old) policies deny payment.

Life cover - there is only an exclusion on Suicide. And that's within the first 2 years of the policy being in force. Unless you're involved in civil war and / or riots, or go to a warzone.

EDIT: But yes. You will leave your family behind, often with FAR less life cover than you should have had, and far more debt than you have life cover.

Short answer - don't be a dumbass.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Guest Latent Blue
Saw 2 cyclists this morning at about 6am on the N17 just after Carnival City off ramp riding towards oncoming traffic , surely you not allowed to cycle there?

I was wondering this myself!

Every day I see cyclists on the M13 ... yes the death highway!

Just the other day I saw okes were braving the N3

Guest Latent Blue
tell me you aren't singing this tune in your head.....

HIGHWAYYY TOOOO THE DANGER ZOOONE!!!!!!!!

Love that sh*t!!!!

The thing is, what would the cops do to you anyway? We do not have licence plates on our bikes and one is not required to carry ID so they can't even be sure of your real name to write on a ticket.

I knew a guy who used to hitch-hike a lot on the N3 and he got fines all the time for R40 for walking on a highway but he would just give a false name and say that he can't remember his ID number and then throw the ticket away away. He did this for years and nothing ever came of it.

The thing is, what would the cops do to you anyway? We do not have licence plates on our bikes and one is not required to carry ID so they can't even be sure of your real name to write on a ticket.

I knew a guy who used to hitch-hike a lot on the N3 and he got fines all the time for R40 for walking on a highway but he would just give a false name and say that he can't remember his ID number and then throw the ticket away away. He did this for years and nothing ever came of it.

always a good idea to carry some sort of ID .a harde gat cop can detain you lawfully to determine your identity for 24 hours

Yes, you may cycle on a highway.

No, you may not cycle on a f-r-e-e-w-a-y.

Clue: if you see the sign Fanievb posted, then it is a freeway.

(Sorry for stating the obvious, but this thread is just too painful to read otherwise)