Rollers vs Indoor Trainers

i have the tacx idt and love it. i dont have rollers, always wanted to know if you can do a fullon sprint

on the rollers. 100% flatout

70km/h at 140rpm cadence.

Still want to go 80.....

70km/h at 140rpm cadence.

Still want to go 80.....

Your wheels must come very close to the edge....hehe

Hope this does not jinx you now....

Lol. Some mixed views now.

Does the IDT have any effect on the frame of your bike? What about connecting the bike onto the trainer? Is it an irritation? I honestly don't want something where I need to remove my wheels everytime I wanna do a workout.

Lol. Some mixed views now.

Does the IDT have any effect on the frame of your bike? What about connecting the bike onto the trainer? Is it an irritation? I honestly don't want something where I need to remove my wheels everytime I wanna do a workout.

With the CycleOps IDT you get a skewer with that fits their trainer ..just replace that on your bike and you good to go ... :)

I only have rollers at this stage and was still looking at getting an IDT as well for some varriance. Used the rollers every now and again in winter when it was really icy outside, and now just every now and again if it's raining maybe.

I understand that the IDT is hard on your rims and tyres, hence you can buy a spare trainer wheel. In my opinion, the rollers isn't that hard on the wheels (your opinion?)

I get a good workout from the rollers, but i must be honest you need to push high gears to get a decent workout, otherwise it's just a easy spinning session, and that's it.

To answer the top speed question... i have to stop at 74km/h otherwise the bike starts to hop uncontrollably and that's never a good thing on rollers.

Still an awesome workout for ballance, it stiffens your core, improves concentration and really gives you a good ride using your own motor skills

Edited by SurferChild

Put me in the IDT camp.

Rollers are great for smoothing your pedal stroke and balance but you can't do any interval work on it.

Both is best of course but for quality indoor training the IDT is a winner.

Also - one footed intervals are really tough on the rollers ;-)

What about training for MTB? I assume the IDT will be much better for MTB than rollers because of the higher resistance.

• 2 months later...

I'm 168cm and about 58kg. I'm not very fast on the straights but not to bad when climbing. Will riding in big gears on rollers avging about 40km/h increase my speed on the flats?