2014 Tour De France

ScottCM

The finish line cameras use strip scan photography. It does not take a complete image at one point in time like at normal camera, rather it takes a series of vertical strips of the finish line over a period of time. (This use to be done by moving film past a slit lense, but it is now done digitally.)

The spokes look bent because the rotation of the wheel is different at each point in time at which a strip of the photo was taken.

The other thing to note is that the aspect ratio is affect by the speed of the riders. In this picture, Kiryienka and Voeckler are narrower than Rodgers because they were going faster when they crossed the line.

This is also why you don't see the tarmac, because the camera is only taking a picture of the white paint of the finish line.

awesome post, always wondered precisely how they did it - thanks for making it make sense.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For finish line photography, resolution (pixel count) is less important, frame rate is very important.

As far as I know, go pros can do 60fps. A good high speed camera can do 1 000fps, and these are expensive. Digital strip scan cameras do 10 000fps, and instead of giving you a video, give you a single image that is easy to get the result from.

Note that the frame rate of strip scan photography actually determines the horizontal resolution. The images that we get to see have been scaled horizontally so that the aspect ratios are approximately correct. The officials can see the unscaled images when it is very close, and so they tell who won even when there is only a fraction of a mm between two riders.

Thanks I learned somting today

I love this pic

I've never even really followed Rogers but when I was watching this I had goosebumps.

Awesome ride.

Tomorrow is going to finish off this tour. the efforts over the category 1 climbs is going to sap them.

The first 50 k's will total an ascent of almost a 100 meters, that's just the warmup .

100 metres over first 50km? I'm sure they'll manage just fine :whistling:

100 metres over first 50km? I'm sure they'll manage just fine :whistling:

Ja correction it's a 1000, buy you knew that.

Ja correction it's a 1000, buy you knew that.

just on that, I find the stats they give on the stages a little bit short on detail.

They give total distance, and then number of climbs - as well as the category thereof.

You obviously have a reference to total altitude gain, which is the best context I can think of to rate a stage's toughness - is this freely available or did you have to work it out from a kml or something?.

just on that, I find the stats they give on the stages a little bit short on detail.

They give total distance, and then number of climbs - as well as the category thereof.

You obviously have a reference to total altitude gain, which is the best context I can think of to rate a stage's toughness - is this freely available or did you have to work it out from a kml or something?.

This is from the official twitter account - Le Tour de France@letour 55m View translation

Stage 17: Saint-Gaudens > Saint-Lary Pla d’Adet 124,5 km Queen stage of the 101st Tour de France! D+=3850m

I worked it out from kilometres ,but I reckon probably closer to 1 200.

I think finishing time today around 17:24

Alberto Contador@albertocontador 4m

Bad day,the wound healing gets complicated,I've no date to take the bike.Goodbye to the Vuelta.

Alberto Contador@albertocontador 4m

Bad day,the wound healing gets complicated,I've no date to take the bike.Goodbye to the Vuelta.

:(