2014 Tour De France

ScottCM

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to see something different this year. I would like to see the following teams show us a little something-something: Team NetApp - Endura, Giant-Shimano, Belkin pro Cycling Team, and Orica - GreenEdge.

Like last year with Orica being in front at the beginning, that was exciting. It would be nice to see some of the other teams up top other that then usual favorites. But lets see what happens :thumbup:

I'm extremely interested to see what Trek Factory Racing is going to do, with Frank and Andy reunited, Andy should hopefully be back to form and that makes good for viewing. I really hope they take Julián Arredondo with. He just beat fellow Colombian Quintana twice on mountain top finishes in the Tour de San Luis. So that should be good if both him and the Schleck brothers can unify against the Sky team.

• 1 month later...

Betancur wants white jersey at the Tour de France

Fresh from winning Paris-Nice, Carlos Betancur (Ag2r-La Mondiale) has his sights set on next month’s Ardennes classics and then on landing the white jersey of best young rider in his debut Tour de France in July.

Last season, Betancur claimed the best young rider classification when he finished 5th overall at the Giro d’Italia, and the 24-year-old will aim to replicate that feat when he lines up at the Tour.

"This is a real morale boost ahead of the classics," Betancur said. "The rest of my programme for the season culminates with the Tour de France, where I have real ambitions.

"I think it's the biggest race in the world. When I was young, I always wanted to watch it, inspired by [Lance] Armstrong and [santiago] Botero. I've done the Giro d'Italia twice; it's an important and hard race, but it's every rider’s wish to go to the Tour because that's where you graduate. The white jersey is a dream and I'm going to work very hard to get it."

Betancur claimed Paris-Nice in impressive fashion, winning back-to-back stages at Rive-de-Gier and on the uphill finish at Fayence, and then defending his yellow jersey confidently over the weekend.

Although he began the season some way short of his best condition and in excess of his ideal weight at the Tour de San Luis, Betancur was quickly up to speed once he arrived in Europe. Last month, he claimed a stage and the overall at the Tour du Haut-Var, and he now joins Simon Gerrans atop the WorldTour standings following his Paris-Nice triumph.

"He's a winner, he's a killer," Betancur’s Ag2r teammate Romain Bardet told L'Équipe. "He reassures us during stages. He tells us that he is going well, and so that helps us ride at 110%. He has huge potential."

The centrepiece of Betancur's spring will be the Ardennes classics, where he already performed impressively in 2013, finishing 3rd at Flèche Wallonne after attacking early on the Mur de Huy, and then taking 4th at Liège-Bastogne-Liège the following Sunday.

"For me, he has the same qualities as a rider like Joaquim Rodriguez, very strong in a very hard race, whether it's a classic or a Grand Tour," Ag2r manager Vincent Lavenu said, according to L'Équipe. "He has everything to become world number one."

• 2 months later...

Sky still doesn't seem to be in a very happy place.

Lots of question marks around the team they're going to select for the TDF this year. Will Wiggo be included or not, two separate teams now chosen for Critérium du Dauphiné (for Froome) and Tour de Suisse (for Wiggins), etc.

Brailsford must sometimes feel like a primary school teacher constantly trying to keep order on the jungle gym.

I love it, cant handle "TEAM" Sky, cant wait for the TDF and all the drama to unfold.

I'll be in 'Berto's corner for this one.

Maillot vert for Sagaaan of course!!

I'll be in 'Berto's corner for this one.

Maillot vert for Sagaaan of course!!

+1....I like the underdog and I am hoping bertie will bring it as in...a fight.

Sagan because well he is Sagan. You cannot, not like him

I see Froome smashed Lances record up the Madone.

Must be in good shape.

+1....I like the underdog and I am hoping bertie will bring it as in...a fight.

Sagan because well he is Sagan. You cannot, not like him

I still hope Froome will take it, but man Alberto does add something special to the tour. He just never stops fighting.

You are all wrong ANDY SCHLECK will win :ph34r:

Would be awesome if he does, but you wont catch me putting money on it.

Will the sisters ride this year?

yeah they will, they missing the Dauphine' and doing the Tour of Lux as prep. Think they trying to keep as low profile as possible. But one has to think this is their last chance to impress TFR DS. I mean they have Fabian for the classics and lead out train for Nizzolo, Bob Jungles, Kiserlovski and Arredondo for the GC and climbs. Dont see a contract extension coming if they plank the TDF again.

Highly doubt he will even be Top 10TBH

Archived