26" SS Build - work in progress

Tractor

While most people are fast asleep I'm busy polishing mtb cranks :) Started with the one arm last night and managed to finish it - it's sweaty, dirty, DIRTY, work; don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Some pics of the polished arm next to the unpolished one.

That looks DAMN GOOD!!!

Did you use the same method?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While most people are fast asleep I'm busy polishing mtb cranks :) Started with the one arm last night and managed to finish it - it's sweaty, dirty, DIRTY, work; don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Some pics of the polished arm next to the unpolished one.

This is how all cranks should be sold.

That looks DAMN GOOD!!!

Did you use the same method?

I actually first sanded the crank arm by hand using a medium and then fine sanding block and water; then wiped it down and started up the trusty old drill and polished till it got the "shine" :)

It took longer than I thought it would so I went to bed :) Will try and get to the other arm over the weekend.

I actually first sanded the crank arm by hand using a medium and then fine sanding block and water; then wiped it down and started up the trusty old drill and polished till it got the "shine" :)

It took longer than I thought it would so I went to bed :) Will try and get to the other arm over the weekend.

Cool, need to do that on my XTR 960 Jones Mod, just been too lazy

I think after reading this, my Raleigh is going to undergo this process... I have a question for the aluminium experts, how often is the frame going to need some polishing?

Love Your Work Bro

And for the weekends contribution so far we have one very polished homemade bash guard / ring! This is the one that I made up using the big chain ring and in keeping with the polished cranks I decided to polish this as well. Was an absolute biaatch to do - the shape and the corners kept tearing into the sanding blocks, and the black anodising takes a LOT of sanding to get rid of (did it by hand using the medium and fine sanding blocks before polishing up).

A before and after pic:

post-49804-0-07952100-1385218407_thumb.jpg

post-49804-0-50571700-1385218453_thumb.jpg

Next up was the Ritchey seat post - once again sanded down and then polished up. To do this didn't take nearly as long as the chain ring above!

Some before, during and after pics:

post-49804-0-30679300-1385218582_thumb.jpg

post-49804-0-32013200-1385218602_thumb.jpg

post-49804-0-60625500-1385218622_thumb.jpg

Love Your Work Bro

Thanks man - in all honesty I never set out to do so much polishing, I was going to prep the frame and send it off to be spray painted and then reassemble using the parts I had and go ride. Has turned into quite a project, at this rate looks like I'll only be riding in 2014! :) All worth it though and I have to admit I'm seriously enjoying doing it!

Pretty damn inspirational, if you ask me.

I think I'm going to do the same with my training bike.

My wife is not going to like the mess one bit!

Thanks man - in all honesty I never set out to do so much polishing, I was going to prep the frame and send it off to be spray painted and then reassemble using the parts I had and go ride. Has turned into quite a project, at this rate looks like I'll only be riding in 2014! :) All worth it though and I have to admit I'm seriously enjoying doing it!

You should google 'how to strip anodizing' or something to that effect. I think they use caustic soda. Not sure if that process will be easier than sanding the black off.

hijack: just adding adding some hi-polish pawn:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy25/rock78pics/Cranks/CapeTown-20121120-00574.jpg