Dear Giant...

Iwan Kemp

I have no issues with Stan's in my Hutchinson tyres, its just some of the Kenda, all the MAXXIS and all of the Specialized tyres I've used that has delivered problems with these sealants. I ran Hutchinson Python 2.0 Tubeless ready during a 2008 stage race and those tyres lasted a further year without puncture or negative efect of teh sealant. I'm onto my 3rd set and no issues whatsoever.

I binned two sets of Specialized, 3 sets of MAXXIX and 1 set of Kenda due to problems with the sealant affecting the tyres. The Kenda tubeless thereafter were fine but the non tubeless type was just aweful at reliability.

The MAXXIS ad Spec were tubeless tyres and they sucked at reliability.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one has to distinguish giant bikes - the new trance looks great - from the giant branding and marketing, which is atrocious really, and as for mr numnutz where did they find that dude? They'll be making 29ers for years to come.

:lol:

you're all just upset because they say 29hers are ****

I remember a ton of posts a year ago with the 29" guys saying 26" was over.

Now 27.5" says 29" is over and you all upset.

I bet anyone that there will be more 26" sales than 29" sales worldwide in 2014.

and 27.5 is gonna fly through the roof just like 29" did when it started here.

29hers are History

Been an issue for a while now and even when they were bringing in a decent amount of 26'er tyres if you found a 2.25" tyre you were lucky!

Surely from a monetary point of view, there are still a lot of 26" bikes around, hell I have two, that they would be silly to totally discontinue selling & producing 26" bike parts?

Stoke to the rescue... we'll be stocking as many normal size trail tyres as we can get our grubby little paws on as soon as we can...

Nobby Nics please Sir in 2.25"

But they have been making tyres for other brand (i.e. Maxxis)

Talking of Maxxis, anyone know who stocks Holy Rollers? Want some for my bike whose wheel size will never die...my 20" BMX :-)

Scott have probably been pushing the 650b the longest and hardest with Nino.

They are only bringing two of the Spark and two of the Scale models in to SA out of a moerse range (reading the SA market better than Giant?)

Their argument is a bit more balanced but not convincing at all.

If you had to pick one winner out of the 26, 27.5 or 29er in the six points they discuss in their 2014 brochure, the results would look as follows:

1. 26er Accelerates Fastes

2. 29er has best angle of attack

3. 26er is lighters

4. 29er has best roll-over

5. 29er has best traction

6. 29er has best momentum

So where exactly is the 650b??

I for one am not buying this marketing crap or a 650b unless I already have a 29er dual, 29er hardtail and 29er SS, (ok I just need the dual :blush: ) and I want a trail bike to play with ... noting less than 140mm travel on a 650b!

The 650b has its place and market ... just not for me!

post-4352-0-02936800-1382678468_thumb.jpg

post-4352-0-76011400-1382678469_thumb.jpg

The 29ers never really took off over in Europe and they all selling at ridiculous prices to clear the 2013 stock.

Did a ride on Sunday and there were stacks of the new 27.5's out.Went to a few bike shops yesterday and they all building 27.5 bikes.Looks like 27.5 has found a market.

For me as a avg rider i still enjoy my 26er and can't justify the expense to move to 27.5 just to save 2 or 3 minutes on a ride.

The 29ers never really took off over in Europe and they all selling at ridiculous prices to clear the 2013 stock.

Did a ride on Sunday and there were stacks of the new 27.5's out.Went to a few bike shops yesterday and they all building 27.5 bikes.Looks like 27.5 has found a market.

For me as a avg rider i still enjoy my 26er and can't justify the expense to move to 27.5 just to save 2 or 3 minutes on a ride.

Spot on :thumbup:

I see the 650B wheels work well in the 120 - 160 mm travel trail- and enduro bike segment, and perhaps also in downhill?

26ers for small sizes on everything as well as entry level bikes for years to come

29ers for racing hardtails and 80 - 120 mm travel race type bikes

If 650B bombs out after e year or two (possible outcome?) then 26ers will make a comeback

If 650B succeeds beyond expectations (possible outcome?) then 26ers are doomed for all but the very budget bike lines

I cannot see 29ers satisfying all the bike segments from racing hardtails through to full on downhill. There needs to be at least 1 other wheel size, Which one will it be? 650B or 26? Or both?

Ask me in a couple of years again for some more random thoughts.

Here is the story re Giants big switcheroo as I see it as gleaned from reading of internet articles and court papers over the last few months:

1. Giant is being sued by Dave Weagle for patent infringement over the Maestro suspension design

2. Prior to this legal action Giant had entered into a suspension design contract with DW for a new suspension design to be called "Super G";

3. According to DW Giants design parameters were altered as the design process proceeded until their demands conflicted with the laws of physics leading to the end of that project;

4. DW then sued Giant re the patent - this case is on going and my bet is it will be settled with payment of an undisclosed figure. This leaves Giant without the new suspension design they were going to use on their 29ers (conjecture on my part - see below)

5. Giants Maestro design results in longish chainstays which means its far harder to build anything but a long wheelbase bike in 29" and that doesn't translate well to a great handling/easy to manual etc AM/gravity bike many people are after these days (for instance my 26" Reign has slightly longer chainstays than a Spaz enduro 29er!)

So, I think the leap onto the 27.5 bandwagon is driven by a restrictive suspension design (Maestro) and no new design to cope with 29" wheels in the pipeline yet. Watch this space however because if Giant can go big on 27.5 they can just as easily flop back the other way with anew suspension design in a few years/

My 3c

Here is the story re Giants big switcheroo as I see it as gleaned from reading of internet articles and court papers over the last few months:

1. Giant is being sued by Dave Weagle for patent infringement over the Maestro suspension design

2. Prior to this legal action Giant had entered into a suspension design contract with DW for a new suspension design to be called "Super G";

3. According to DW Giants design parameters were altered as the design process proceeded until their demands conflicted with the laws of physics leading to the end of that project;

4. DW then sued Giant re the patent - this case is on going and my bet is it will be settled with payment of an undisclosed figure. This leaves Giant without the new suspension design they were going to use on their 29ers (conjecture on my part - see below)

5. Giants Maestro design results in longish chainstays which means its far harder to build anything but a long wheelbase bike in 29" and that doesn't translate well to a great handling/easy to manual etc AM/gravity bike many people are after these days (for instance my 26" Reign has slightly longer chainstays than a Spaz enduro 29er!)

So, I think the leap onto the 27.5 bandwagon is driven by a restrictive suspension design (Maestro) and no new design to cope with 29" wheels in the pipeline yet. Watch this space however because if Giant can go big on 27.5 they can just as easily flop back the other way with anew suspension design in a few years/

My 3c

Not a bad theory at all Holmes...not bad at all :thumbup:

Same. I will just scrounge the old 26ers selling for cheap!

I see the 650B wheels work well in the 120 - 160 mm travel trail- and enduro bike segment, and perhaps also in downhill?

26ers for small sizes on everything as well as entry level bikes for years to come

29ers for racing hardtails and 80 - 120 mm travel race type bikes

If 650B bombs out after e year or two (possible outcome?) then 26ers will make a comeback

If 650B succeeds beyond expectations (possible outcome?) then 26ers are doomed for all but the very budget bike lines

I cannot see 29ers satisfying all the bike segments from racing hardtails through to full on downhill. There needs to be at least 1 other wheel size, Which one will it be? 650B or 26? Or both?

Ask me in a couple of years again for some more random thoughts.

Years back all the top TT guys and triathletes went over to 650 wheels.The claim was that they were faster.That fad lasted 3-4 years then they went back to 700c.Now the 650 is used on ladies bikes and childrens bikes.

I think the 26" and 27.5 will be in a similar situation.

26" for the smaller riders and 27.5 will be the norm.

We are ripping into Giant due to the marketing guys sales pitch ... but how many of us have ridden the 650B's yet .. I am keen to swing a leg over one and seeing for myself how it handles instead of being told it is the come all and go all in MTB

For sure. I'd rather spend the mula on lighter parts for my 26'rs. And be even quicker through the twisties. Hehe.

Archived